Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run - Ride/Queue Details and Discussion

ThemedScream

What is the hondo preshow like? Whats the backstory of the ride? Also do any other characters show up in the preshow or ride besides hondo?

Both groups enter the Hondo preshow room and he's a standing in front on a raised platform next to a control panel. The AA is impressive, but there's one point where he interacts with the control panel and his hands just kind of hover over the panel.

There is a big screen behind him, and you see the MF land. During this part the whole room kind of rumbles with a lot of bass. Chewie makes an appearance on screen, but not in person. After his spiel, both groups exit through different doors located on either side.

The story is simple - Hondo needs help obtaining items/delivering shipments.

180º

Anyone a tad disappointed with some of the reviews on twitter for this attraction by those cast members who rode it?

Don't get me wrong, no one is being overly negative - but even on the fan sites you tend to hear quotes like , 'it's no Flight Of Passage', or 'It's good but perhaps as good as Spiderman' ... etc

That type of reverse negativity - when my own hype was hoping this would be better and more innovative than anything we ever saw.
Once again, I don’t know where people were getting the expectation that this would be better and more innovative than anything we ever saw. That was always meant to be ROTR. Smuggler’s Run isn’t earth shattering, it’s good for what it is and has a few excellent points, and that’s what insiders have been hinting at for a couple years now.

El_Tomato

Does anyone know how the “going into the Falcon” illusion is done? I’ve heard someone say that it isn’t very convincing...

Last edited:

NateD1226

Does anyone know how the “going into the Falcon” transition is done? I’ve heard someone say that it isn’t very convincing...
It really isn't. After you are done with Hondo, you go through a hallway to get your credentials. Then they tell you that you are boarding the MF and enter through the halls of the MF. To me, it wasn't convincing but it was still cool to experience.

NateD1226

Anyone a tad disappointed with some of the reviews on twitter for this attraction by those cast members who rode it?

Don't get me wrong, no one is being overly negative - but even on the fan sites you tend to hear quotes like , 'it's no Flight Of Passage', or 'It's good but perhaps as good as Spiderman' ... etc

That type of reverse negativity - when my own hype was hoping this would be better and more innovative than anything we ever saw.
It truly is great and fun! I actually love it so much. I would go to say it will be the best attraction since RSR! Dont worry, you will love it if you hyped yourself up for it.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Once again, I don’t know where people were getting the expectation that this would be better and more innovative than anything we ever saw. That was always meant to be ROTR. Smuggler’s Run isn’t earth shattering, it’s good for what it is and has a few excellent points, and that’s what insiders have been hinting at for a couple years now.
Well because it’s the only open ride in the most hyped up land in the history of theme parks? Maybe that?

NateD1226

SR was truly amazing to me! The queue, preshow, and ride itself is extraordinary. I wouldn't mind if people say it is the best ride that Disney has made in a while. These Imagineers were hitting some rough spots at Disneyland with Pixar Pier, GOTG:MB, Tomorrowland, etc... and SWL really pushed up their level of greatness back up where it used to be. It will be the same with WDW. SWL will be amazing and give a big boost to DHS as the let down of Toy Story Land, sadness of the Incredible plaza, and more droopy shows and rides give DHS a bad reputation. SW:GE is everything a theme park fan would ask for as there are interactive experiences, fun shops, breathtaking rides, and so much more. To me, SR is amazing and it should be taken with great pride and pleasure. To call this ride a disappointment and not fun would be a huge lie for the people who have not done the ride. Just wait till ROTR opens! Two of Disney's best rides will be up and running for the public and make theme park history!

PorterRedkey

Original Poster
SR was truly amazing to me! The queue, preshow, and ride itself is extraordinary. I wouldn't mind if people say it is the best ride that Disney has made in a while. These Imagineers were hitting some rough spots at Disneyland with Pixar Pier, GOTG:MB, Tomorrowland, etc... and SWL really pushed up their level of greatness back up where it used to be. It will be the same with WDW. SWL will be amazing and give a big boost to DHS as the let down of Toy Story Land, sadness of the Incredible plaza, and more droopy shows and rides give DHS a bad reputation. SW:GE is everything a theme park fan would ask for as there are interactive experiences, fun shops, breathtaking rides, and so much more. To me, SR is amazing and it should be taken with great pride and pleasure. To call this ride a disappointment and not fun would be a huge lie for the people who have not done the ride. Just wait till ROTR opens! Two of Disney's best rides will be up and running for the public and make theme park history!
Glad you enjoyed it!

What was your favorite part?

Disney Analyst

Thank you for your positivity! I can't wait to experience it all!

tomast

Thats true, I remember at the begining of the proyect we were told that the land was going to have a innovative and impresive new ride and a "screen based" simulator ride. This is the screen ride. As cool as it appears its nothing innovative.
Dont get me wrong, I am dieing to ride the MF but we know thats not the main ride.

Br’er Rabbit

So do we now know how interactive the ride itself is? I’m hoping that it isn’t too reliant on the players as I’m worried that I could wait in line and get a bad pilot or something that spoils the fun for the ride.

Do we still continue the ride regardless of ability or is it like, “oh well you slammed into the wall. Game over”.

Jones14

So do we now know how interactive the ride itself is? I’m hoping that it isn’t too reliant on the players as I’m worried that I could wait in line and get a bad pilot or something that spoils the fun for the ride.

Do we still continue the ride regardless of ability or is it like, “oh well you slammed into the wall. Game over”.
The ride will continue no matter what, but if you have a ‘bad’ pilot it will cause slight changes in the ride experience. Think of the ride as a racing game; as long as you’re driving, you’re gonna finish, and there’s invisible (or not so invisible) barriers that keep you on track throughout.

PorterRedkey

Original Poster
Thats true, I remember at the begining of the proyect we were told that the land was going to have a innovative and impresive new ride and a "screen based" simulator ride. This is the screen ride. As cool as it appears its nothing innovative.
Dont get me wrong, I am dieing to ride the MF but we know thats not the main ride.
RotR is the attraction I am most excited for, but to say MF:SR is not innovative is really underselling it.

Nvidia created new graphic processors for this attraction. MF:SR is the first attraction to use full real-time video rendering that changes based on the input of the guests.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/...dia-star-wars-galaxys-edge-millennium-falcon/

The turntable load system is also a first. Even though that is mostly for capacity it also creates the illusion of a single cockpit.

As far as being impressive, I think the full-size MF, detailed queue, 2nd most advanced AA at WDW (Hondo), and the rumored changing exit based on your flight performance are pretty impressive.

I know you aren’t trashing the ride. I just want to point out some of it’s innovations you might have missed.

The best tech you experience in an attraction is where the tech is invisible. This leaves only the desired effect and not the secret of how it is achieved.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom