Mickey's PhillharMagic (at California Adventure?)!

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Mickey's PhillharMagic (at California Adventure?)!

I got some new tidbits on this project - a new 3D extravaganza to be open at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom in 2003 and the upcoming Hong Kong Disneyland. First is that some people are very excited about the results. The classic characters have new life been animated in 3D/CGI.

One curious info is that Disney is studing plans to bring "Mickey's PhillharMagic" for the Hollywood Pictures Backlot area to improve "Disney's California Adventure" theme park. No official info but is supposedly in consideration.

Here is a link for more info:
Animagic

pheneix

The latest rumor is that when Millionaire closes this winter Philharmagic might be replacing it. The Millionaire soundstage is the only building at DCA big enough to house the large screen being used in the film.

Jerm

2 fast things:

1. If and this is a big if still....Mickey's PhillharMagic came to DCA (it should be in Toon Town and get a new thing back that way) it would take place of Muppets. They would not be putting 2 3D attractions right next to each other.

2. Millionaire is not going anywhere fast. I was backstage jsut a few weeks ago and asked some of the big wigs about it. It is sticking around atleast for the near future...next 2 or 3 years???

J

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Jerm

2. Millionaire is not going anywhere fast. I was backstage jsut a few weeks ago and asked some of the big wigs about it. It is sticking around atleast for the near future...next 2 or 3 years???

J

Can anyone explain how "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" (or Mickey's PhilharMagic for that matter) has anything whatsoever to do with the California theme? I mean, isn't it filmed in NY? I realize the Florida version makes a point of acknowledging that they're in Florida, but that is fine. After all, MGM Studios is not a theme park that is "about" Florida. Disney's CALIFORNIA Adventure (by virtue of the name and also the company's explanation of it) is supposed to be "about" California. So why do they have an attraction (actually they have numerous ones) that has nothing to do with California?

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Nobody was visiting California Adventure and Disney was looking for a quick, cheap fix to put into the Hollywood Pictures Backlot area of Disney's California Adventure. They don't have the time or money for logic.

Tiki_bud_Pan

Muppet's building is way to small. If this screen is bigger than soarin' screen (which is preety dang huge) it wont fit into millionare either. I think that they're planning in the future (nothing near) to put in Rockin roller coaster after tower of terror right where muppets and millionare are. I also think that they are usign the old hollywood and dine building for philarmagic. Big enough

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
Originally posted by MickeyMoose15
Nobody was visiting California Adventure and Disney was looking for a quick, cheap fix to put into the Hollywood Pictures Backlot area of Disney's California Adventure. They don't have the time or money for logic.

Since when does Disney not have money?

ToTBellHop

Considering Hollywood Pictures Backlot is a miniature version of the Disney-MGM Studios, anything involve entertainment certainly fits in there...considering Walt produced Mickey shorts while in Hollywood, I could easily see how PhilharMagic would fit in. As for Millionaire, it is still entertainment, which California is big on. California Adventure is trying to show the diversity of California, with its famous entertainment studios, but also beautiful natural surroundings, farmlands, wineries, oceanfronts, history related to aviation, and its amusement past. Everything fits there, it's just a matter of whether or not you like it, and you have made it very clear that you hate the park...which is fine.

DLMAGICDARREN

Millionaire does not fit in California Adventure, an arguement I've said from the start, but as mentioned DCA needed a quick fix, and most people don't think so hard as to even realize that the show is taped in NYC, not Hollywood.

I 100% agree that at MGM it works, because nobody is pretending it's a Hollywood park, but a Studios park.

As for Mickey's Philharmagic coming to DCA? Haven't heard anything beyond the internet rumors, that seldom come true. Hollywood is currently adding TOT, whoich won't open till 2004, there will be no newly annouced greenlighted projected for that disctrict, (and proably not even the park) until that opens.

However looking down the road, Muppets is a very low visited attraction, Millionare will probably close one day in the 2-3 year timeframe, SSL will probably re-open, but for how long? and Hollywood and Dine is now only open very seasonally. That's 4 showbuildings, it will be intresting to see what comes of the area.

Whether Mickey's Philharmagic comes, R&R comes, or something else, I doubt we'd be looking at any major change before the 2007 or so timeframe. When TOT opens in 2004, the next year will be DL's 50th. Anything not even announced till 2005 will surely not open till around 2007.

Disneynutcase

Hmmm.

I don't think you guys are looking at the bigger picture here--namely, that there is a large section of what's supposed to eventually be DCA still used as a parking lot.

Right now Disney is constructing another giant parking structure across Harbor Blvd at the old Grand Hotel site. Once that opens, the lot at the corner of Harbor and Katella is supposed to become DCA expansion.

It only took a few years for them to build the parking structure next to the Disneyland Hotel. Therefore, by 2005 I wouldn't be shocked to have them in total building mode for this new area.

This is the area where they can install a RnRC.

B.T.W--when DCA was first conceived (and it was actually conceived over a decade ago according to a long-time Imagineer friend of mine), they were going with a significant portion of the park being a Disney Studios Themepark West.

But no one is saying what they will do with that expansion area--hard to figure what they missed to create another new "California" section of the park. Could just end up being their version of Sunset Blvd, like they have out in Florida.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by DogsRule!
Considering Hollywood Pictures Backlot is a miniature version of the Disney-MGM Studios, anything involve entertainment certainly fits in there...considering Walt produced Mickey shorts while in Hollywood, I could easily see how PhilharMagic would fit in. As for Millionaire, it is still entertainment, which California is big on. California Adventure is trying to show the diversity of California, with its famous entertainment studios, but also beautiful natural surroundings, farmlands, wineries, oceanfronts, history related to aviation, and its amusement past. Everything fits there, it's just a matter of whether or not you like it, and you have made it very clear that you hate the park...which is fine.

The following is an exact quote from Disney's own web site describing Hollywood Pictures Backlot:

"Through the enormous gates, that pay tribute to legendary filmmaker D.W. Griffith, await shimmering Hollywood Boulevard, glitzy cafés and shops, famous theaters and a real studio backlot. It's all a bustling recreation of the Golden Age of Hollywood, and this time, you're the star!"

I had trouble finding the phrase "miniature version of Disney-MGM Studios" however "recreation of the Golden Age of Hollywood" stood out. Gosh, when I think of Hollywood's "Golden Age", I have trouble recalling Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.

Tigggrl

Ok, Ok, we ALL get the hint that you dont like MIllionaire...its starting to sound old, and you should be rejoicing...its going away....Now they have Blast and Millionaire gone...whats next on your list???

DLMAGICDARREN

Originally posted by Disneynutcase
Hmmm.

I don't think you guys are looking at the bigger picture here--namely, that there is a large section of what's supposed to eventually be DCA still used as a parking lot.

Right now Disney is constructing another giant parking structure across Harbor Blvd at the old Grand Hotel site. Once that opens, the lot at the corner of Harbor and Katella is supposed to become DCA expansion.

It only took a few years for them to build the parking structure next to the Disneyland Hotel. Therefore, by 2005 I wouldn't be shocked to have them in total building mode for this new area.

This is the area where they can install a RnRC.

B.T.W--when DCA was first conceived (and it was actually conceived over a decade ago according to a long-time Imagineer friend of mine), they were going with a significant portion of the park being a Disney Studios Themepark West.

But no one is saying what they will do with that expansion area--hard to figure what they missed to create another new "California" section of the park. Could just end up being their version of Sunset Blvd, like they have out in Florida.

There is no current construction going on in the old Grand Hotel site. True it has been reported another parking strucuture may be built there, but it's not happening yet.

You are right that Timon will eventually be used for another expansion to DCA, but there is no way of knowing one way or another if it will include another extension of Hollyowood, persoanlly I would doubt it, since Flick's Fun Fair is already on the West side of the future TOT spot, I would not envision Hollywood going around FFF, only to come out to Paradise Pier. I'd see them using the last spot of vacant land, as an entirely new district, since it's their last shot at expansion, without removing current attractions.

The idea of DCA is not 10 years old, yet. 10 years ago they were still on track with Westcot being the new park. It was not until August of 1995, at a three day retreat in Aspen Colorado, that the idea was conceived, so we'still have three years to go before the concept is a decade old. Of course some Imaganeers prepared for this meeting prior to August of 1995, but since Westcot was not actually oficially even scrapped 10 years ago, I don't think you'd find to many conceptual plans as old as a decade for DCA.

I do think Rock N Roller Coaster is a possibility, but only a possibility. If built it would be suject to lots of critism. It would be the 5th clone of a WDW attraction, adding to the list of Muppets, It's Tough To Be A Bug, Millionaiere, and Tower of Terror. Of course that does not mean in won't happen, but there is enough going on inside Hollywood already with Superstar Limo, Hollywood and Dine, and Millionaire over the next couple of years to free up room for a new Hollywood attraction, before they even begin to finalize plans for what may happen to the Timon area down the road.

Disneynutcase

Sorry, dude.

I know for a fact that Imagineers had come up with plans for a 2nd gate Hollywood/Movie Studios themed park for the DL area as far back as the late '80's (circa ________ Tracy movie, right around when Splash Mtn opened). It's when my friend was working for Imagineering. At the time they were planning on keeping the old parking lot in tact (which is now DCA) and were pondering placing the 2nd gate beside the Disneyland Hotel in the area that is now the large parking structure area. At the time, it was just discussion--the glimmer of one of many possiblities for the DL 2nd gate.

Funny how things shifted around as they got serious about moving forward.

However, this park wasn't cristened "California Adventure"--don't even recall if they had a name for it. Then in the early '90's they got serious and shifted focus on a 2nd gate either in the old parking lot (which was originally going to be Westcot) or in Long Beach Harbor near the Queen Mary (which would've been a U.S. version of Disney Sea).

Anaheim won out, although it took a lot of manuevering from Disney and various politicians to get the deal done. And sad to say, what we ended up with was really the 3rd best idea (of those they made public) for a So. Cal 2nd gate.

On a sidenote, I'm shocked that they haven't begun construction on the Harbor Blvd. parking structure yet--haven't been down to Anaheim since springtime. It looked like they were ready to go. So I'd have to say that it's just a matter of time before construction happens.

Perhaps they are in no hurry since what they already have for parking works well for both parks and Downtown Disney.

Although I know that Timon lot is eventually going to be DCA park land, I have yet to hear when or even what they are planning to build. For me, it's just nice to know that they still have quite a bit of extra land for park expansion.

And B.T.W.--a RnRC westcoast version is nothing more than a rumor. Have they considered building it? Yes. Are they comitted to building it? No.
Would it be immensely smart if they eventually put it in? You bet! I think it's the all-time best coaster I've ever been on and would make DCA completely packed with patrons.

Back to original topic--Philharmagic at DCA would probably have to replace Muppets 3-D (even if they knocked down the Muppet theater building). I just don't see them putting three 3-D's into the same park. Doing something like that would illicit even more "DCA is a half-assed unworthy park" conversation--and not just on these boards but with the "common folk" in SoCal.

pheneix

>>>I'm shocked that they haven't begun construction on the Harbor Blvd. parking structure yet<<<

Attendance has not been high enough to justify it. Think about it, how many times has Disney had to close the Mickey and Friends structure?

DLMAGICDARREN

OK I see what you were saying a bit better now. A 2nd gate at Disneyland was in the works longer then since 1995 & many ideas were considered by Imaganeers. You just made it sound like it was DCA's Hollywood backlot, which was not given consideration until after the entire DCA concept was approved by management in 1995. You said "when DCA was first conceived, and it was actually conceived over a decade ago", which was incorrect, and that's all I was trying to point out. A park concept for the Disneyland resort being 10 years old, is a far different claim, then the DCA concept itself being 10 years old. So I see now what you were trying to say.

I don't doubt for a moment that your friend helped out with a Studios theme park idea in the late 80's. After all, Disney MGM Studios did not open until 1989 in WDW. I'm quite sure a studios theme was drempt up by Imaganeers for the 2nd gate before Westcot was selected. After all MGM was Eisner's first "baby", I don't doubt some Imaganeers played with the idea. There easily may have been plans floating around for that idea as a possibile 2nd gate, but the only ones given any serious consideration by management were exactly the ones you said, a DisneySea type project in Long Beach, until that city lost out, then WestCot, and then Disney's California Adventure. Imaganeers play with a million ideas that are never ok'd by management, that's their entire job. A studios based park, is probably where a few of the Hollywood backlot concepts actually did come up. Perhaps some of those ideas also became a part of the Paris park Walt Disney Studios.

I understand what you are saying, sure Rock N Roller is on the plate as a possible future DCA attraction, as are a million others. Personally I don't think it will ever come, but I'm not calling it impossible, I just don't think it's likely. It would be the first non Magic Kingdom attraction to be cloned in three parks, Since Paris just opened the attraction.

The entire plans for the third park in Anaheim are not scrapped, but are certainly on hold. Firstly the new park DCA has quite a few barriers to still overcome, that combined with the econimic times, & Disney's overall economic problems, caused the company to re-think what they will do with all available property.

They did tear down the Grand Hotel, but have done nothing with the site since the implosion. You can bet one day they will annouunce the site's purpose, which was originally to be another structure, but that plan could easily change, or the property could sit empty for some time.

DCA's addition of TOT, scheduled to open in 2004, will keep the new park busy for almost the next two years. Any announced project after that, such as any 2005 opening would probably go to Disneyland being it's the 50th (I'm not saying Disneyland will anounce something for 2005, but if the resort did, I'd be surprised to see it go to DCA, after just opening TOT the previous year)

I'd say the first availabl;e timespan for the next DCA announcement would probably be 2006, for a 2008 or so opening. Of course there will be minor changes, but probably nothing major. If the next big announcement for DCA will once again be for Hollywood remains to be seen, personally I doubt it, but anything is possible.

Mickey's Philharmagic is already commited to WDW, and Hong Kong. Surely they will evaluate it's popularity before giving any serious consideration to it going to a third resort, especially when it will be yet another WDW clone, something not nearly as much of a concern in Hong Kong as it would be for another US park.

Does all this mean Imaganers have not brought up plans and thoughts about how to put Rock N Roller Coaster, Mickey's Philharmagic, or a hundred other ideas into DCA? Absolutely not. But the only real plans that matter, are the ones bought off by Disney management. The rest may be brilliant ideas, but if never implemented, will just be more historical facts inside the Disney archives.

Disneynutcase

Re: all the Imagineering plans sitting in wait.

Tell me about it. My buddy walked away from his Imagineering job about 7 years ago due in part to some interoffice politics, but mainly out of frustration over working on projects that seemed very "green lit" only to have an exec like Eisner shelve them at the 11th hour.

He worked a lot at WDW, particularly at MGM in its initial opening phase.

Biggest claim to fame was that he was one of the writers for Alien Encounter and got satisfaction when he claimed that the original show wouldn't be scary enough to satisfy. Eisner had them re-do it and make it scarier after an initial brief run at MK, remember?

But the straw of the proverbial camel was participating on two seperate great-sounding projects that would've gone into the old COP at DL, both of which were axed after years of extensive work.

One can only assume that Imagineers live with a lot of frustration because their well-conceived babies end up shelved after a ton of hard work, particularly when something like the lame DL version of Innoventions gets a "go."

Re: your time estimates for next DCA attractions after ToT.

They desperately need the California Resort concept to work, so I see DCA really getting more cool stuff quicker than any Disney park. Even if DL gets something new (or neat overhauls of classic rides) for 2005/50 year celebration, I see them adding to DCA as well.

Think about it. It's not like they haven't been able to multi-task, adding new stuff to several different parks all in the same year. The only hitch is if they truly have the funds available for so the new stuff. Depends on how Disney prioritizes its $$$. But I know for a fact that they really want to turn DCA around and to have the turn-around happen sooner rather than later.

I don't think they thought the park would flop as much as it has. The overall weirdness of this past year played a part, but it didn't help that they opened the park w/o a recognizable "E" ticket. In other words, ToT should've been there from the start.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom