Mickey turns 80

GiveMeTheMusic

Disney will not be celebrating Mickey's birthdays anymore. It's part of a branding push...if Mickey is 80, that makes him old. They're trying to return Mickey to his roots. His new cartoons will reveal that he has found his longlost personality, and slight redesigns will make him look a little younger. People who are older than Mickey Mouse Clubhouse's audience and younger than the baby boomers don't care about Mickey. They view him as irrelevant and dated...so celebrating an 80th birthday wouldn't really help that image.

MickeyGirl910

Disney will not be celebrating Mickey's birthdays anymore. It's part of a branding push...if Mickey is 80, that makes him old. They're trying to return Mickey to his roots. His new cartoons will reveal that he has found his longlost personality, and slight redesigns will make him look a little younger. People who are older than Mickey Mouse Clubhouse's audience and younger than the baby boomers don't care about Mickey. They view him as irrelevant and dated...so celebrating an 80th birthday wouldn't really help that image.

Would it be possible to celebrate his birthday without the actual number? I don't even know if that would make much sense, but since his birthday has been celebrated before, to me, it would make even less sense to stop celebrating it at all.

This kind of upsets me (the part about there not being many souvenirs in the parks) because my grandmother is going to be 80 about 6 days before Mickey is. I leave in 4 days to go to WDW and was hoping to find her something with Mickey being 80 on it. She's not doing very well, and keeps saying she's going to live to see 80 because she promised my mother. All my life she's told me about how she is as old as Mickey Mouse, so this was going to be sentimental for me. All in all, it's a little thing, but I was looking forward to it. I guess a good second is Mickey with Est. 1928.

comics101

Would it be possible to celebrate his birthday without the actual number? I don't even know if that would make much sense, but since his birthday has been celebrated before, to me, it would make even less sense to stop celebrating it at all.

I think that's a good idea. Maybe celebrate the 80th aniversary of Walt creating Mickey. :shrug:I don't know. I just think it's a shame not to do anything...

guitarnut99

This kind of upsets me (the part about there not being many souvenirs in the parks) because my grandmother is going to be 80 about 6 days before Mickey is. I leave in 4 days to go to WDW and was hoping to find her something with Mickey being 80 on it. She's not doing very well, and keeps saying she's going to live to see 80 because she promised my mother. All my life she's told me about how she is as old as Mickey Mouse, so this was going to be sentimental for me. All in all, it's a little thing, but I was looking forward to it. I guess a good second is Mickey with Est. 1928.
That's a very touching story MickeyGirl910. I hope you find a very special souvenir!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom