Mickey Shorts Animation and Style

_caleb

Original Poster
It’s hard to believe the Paul Rudish-produced Mickey Mouse shorts were launched ten years ago! The art style—especially the visual designs and personalities of the fab five—have always been polarizing. Some saw these versions as throwbacks to the originals from the 30s and 40s, with Mickey being more mischievous and with a frenetic energy. Others saw them as ugly, cheap, in poor taste, or as being too similar to Cartoon Network style series.

Here’s a good summary of the evolution of Mickey’s design over the years:

Which are your favorite designs? What do you think of the current Fab Five designs in the World of Mickey Mouse shorts?

_caleb

Original Poster
Here’s another video, this time looking at the evolution of Goofy from Dippy Dawg to George G. Geef in How To… to G. G. “Goofy” Goof in Goof Troop to drunken hobo in the current shorts:

His design seems to be the most controversial around here.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Great thread, @_caleb! Thanks for creating it!

As I’ve already made clear, I adore the new Mickey shorts, together with the holiday and seasonal specials associated with them. They are charming, interesting, and very funny, and they’re also packed with affectionate references to Disney’s back catalogue and theme parks. The continual and sincere homage they pay to Disney tradition is, to me at least, very much at odds with the notion that they are somehow disrespectful to Mickey et al.

As to the reasons for this (mis)characterisation, people usually point to the “crude” Ren & Stimpy-style animation. It’s easy to focus on a few stills that bear out this comparison, but the overall tone of the shorts really is quite unlike the relentlessly icky approach of Ren & Stimpy (which, full disclosure, I also really enjoy). I’ve used the word already, but “charming” is the first adjective that comes to mind when I think of the shorts, and that to me is a deeply Disney quality.

Needless to say, the classic hand-drawn shorts of the past century remain technically unequalled and charming in a way that’s all their own. But I like the fact that the Rudish reboot is attempting something new that builds on this legacy rather than trying to rehash it. The biggest difference lies in the new shorts’ much more frenetic humour, which picks up on some of the energy and fun of the very earliest Mickey shorts before Mickey settled into a more sedate figure.

I personally see no difficulty in enjoying these different iterations of Mickey and his friends on their own terms and merits. Indeed, such creative reinterpretations are what allow the characters to remain fresh and vital after all this time (nearly a century!). I look forward to more from Rudish and to seeing whatever future generations of artists come up with in Mickey’s evolving story.

ETA: As to which design I like best, there’s something very appealing to me about ’50s Mickey—his bigger nose is cute—though the shorts of that era are probably among the weakest:

CJr8hO1WwAAgSrZ.jpg

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

My kids love them, and I think they're both loving homages and clever modern re-interpretations. I particularly like how the backgrounds evoke the style of Disney Legend Mary Blair, and that they put so much emphasis on pairing the images with good quality music, a combination that Walt always felt was key to his cartoons' success.

I even like that these cartoons are sometimes a little dark. Just The Two of Us and Game Night are two of my favorites of the new batch, although I thought the Autumn episode went a little too far into sci-fi horror for the world.of Mickey Mouse.

_caleb

Original Poster
My kids love them, and I think they're both loving homages and clever modern re-interpretations. I particularly like how the backgrounds evoke the style of Disney Legend Mary Blair, and that they put so much emphasis on pairing the images with good quality music, a combination that Walt always felt was key to his cartoons' success.

I even like that these cartoons are sometimes a little dark. Just The Two of Us and Game Night are two of my favorites of the new batch, although I thought the Autumn episode went a little too far into sci-fi horror for the world.of Mickey Mouse.
Yes! I love the backgrounds, too!

master.jpg

These are from the amazing Jason Holt, who did the art direction for the first three seasons.

LittleBuford

Yes! I love the backgrounds, too!

View attachment 688253

These are from the amazing Jason Holt, who did the art direction for the first three seasons.
Really beautiful work!

Some of my favourite episodes—narratively as well as aesthetically—are those that take place in other countries. As someone of Turkish heritage, I was beyond tickled to hear Mickey speaking Turkish in the episode set in Istanbul.

LittleBuford

I adore these newer shorts. They can be enjoyed by children, but I think they are also very enjoyable for adults to watch.

It really brought the fun and silliness back to Mickey and friends.
Even as a child, I was a true Disney loyalist and felt guilty admitting to myself that I didn’t find the classic Disney shorts as funny as Loony Tunes, Tom and Jerry, etc. The new Mickey shorts, however, make me smile and laugh whenever I watch them.

_caleb

Original Poster
Literally - fewer frames, less movement, simplified drawings and details to cut down production costs - that is to say... CHEAP ANIMATION.

It's done on purpose because Disney et al don't want to spend the high production costs on the labor necessary to do GOOD animation.
I'm not sure it's accurate to say that the Mickey Mouse Shorts were/are done "on the cheap."
But would you rather see Fantasia as it was ANIMATED ORIGINALLY or in "Cal-Arts" style?
If the backgrounds were like what they use in the shorts? Yes, yes I would like to see this.
Nearly 100 years old Steamboat Willie is better animated, has a better story and better gags than the modern era Mickey Mouse cartoons - and that's my problem with it. Disney has tons better talent and resources to do animation right and on the cheap, especially with their #1 star and they don't.
Steamboat Willie is great, but the pacing and gags were from/for a very different era:

Disney Analyst

Even as a child, I was a true Disney loyalist and felt guilty admitting to myself that I didn’t find the classic Disney shorts as funny as Loony Tunes, Tom and Jerry, etc. The new Mickey shorts, however, make me smile and laugh whenever I watch them.

Before these new shorts came out, I mostly associated Mickey with toddlers…

LittleBuford

Before these new shorts came out, I mostly associated Mickey with toddlers…
That wasn’t my association. To me, he was classic, charming (there’s that word again!), and lovely to watch, even if I didn’t find his shorts all that funny. I still love that Mickey, but I’m glad the newer iteration now exists alongside him. (Donald, who’s my favourite classic character, has always been more amusing and mischievous.)

_caleb

Original Poster
Speaking of interesting interpretations of Mickey Mouse, I recently discovered the commercial for the American Motors 1955 Nash automobiles designed in a stylized, modernistic look by Disney artist, Tom Oreb:

I think the Rudish designs show some similarities to this!

Fans like @Brer Oswald might be interested to know they also did a commercial featuring the Br'er Animals!

And apparently, Walt associated modernist ascetic with communism? From this YouTube channel:

Quoting from the wonderful book 'Cartoon Modern' by Amid Amidi, "There was a little kid that used to write to Walt telling him to stay away from modern art because it's Communistic. So when the commercial came on, he got a letter from this kid, a little malcontent sitting somewhere, and he wrote, "I'm disappointed Walt. I never thought you'd succumb. What happened to you?" and Walt went crazy. He stormed down there and outlawed using any of the Disney characters in the commercials...spelling the end of the unit." These commercials, along with many other mid-century animation gems can be found on this dvd: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007...

For more about the American Motors commercials, check out this article from Amid Amidi at Cartoon Brew.

Brer Oswald

It’s hard to believe the Paul Rudish-produced Mickey Mouse shorts were launched ten years ago! The art style—especially the visual designs and personalities of the fab five—have always been polarizing. Some saw these versions as throwbacks to the originals from the 30s and 40s, with Mickey being more mischievous and with a frenetic energy. Others saw them as ugly, cheap, in poor taste, or as being too similar to Cartoon Network style series.

Here’s a good summary of the evolution of Mickey’s design over the years:

Which are your favorite designs? What do you think of the current Fab Five designs in the World of Mickey Mouse shorts?

The 1930s design is my favourite. It captures Mickey at his purest essence, when he was at the peak of his career. The Rudish design isn’t bad. It’s much closer to the 30s design in terms of colour choice and eye style. But it feels like an unnecessary substitute for a better design (imo anyways).

_caleb

Original Poster
The 1930s design is my favourite. It captures Mickey at his purest essence, when he was at the peak of his career. The Rudish design isn’t bad. It’s much closer to the 30s design in terms of colour choice and eye style. But it feels like an unnecessary substitute for a better design (imo anyways).
I'm interested in the evolution of the design for visual/sight gags. I think the 1930s design (which I love, too) didn't lend itself to Mickey's physical/slapstick comedy (especially on old-fashioned, low-def screens). A lot of the nuance of the earlier productions wasn't as obvious as it might have been. So they added white gloves, white face, and big shoes to make the action read a bit more clearly.

I do wonder why they don't greenlight a limited run of shorts done in a pure 1930s style, though. With today's technology, those would cost very little and could be done really quickly compared to the old days.

Disney Analyst

That wasn’t my association. To me, he was classic, charming (there’s that word again!), and lovely to watch, even if I didn’t find his shorts all that funny. I still love that Mickey, but I’m glad the newer iteration now exists alongside him. (Donald, who’s my favourite classic character, has always been more amusing and mischievous.)

Most of my growing up, especially teen into young adult, the newer Mickey stuff was all preschool aged. I’d say these new shorts really struck me as they were great for all ages.

Heppenheimer

Really beautiful work!

Some of my favourite episodes—narratively as well as aesthetically—are those that take place in other countries. As someone of Turkish heritage, I was beyond tickled to hear Mickey speaking Turkish in the episode set in Istanbul.
Kind of how I felt when Minnie was singing "Tuilpen uit Amsterdam"... even if her pronunciation was a little off.

LittleBuford

I do wonder why they don't greenlight a limited run of shorts done in a pure 1930s style, though. With today's technology, those would cost very little and could be done really quickly compared to the old days.
I’m glad they’re steering clear of this kind of imitation. It works well when done sparingly or with a twist (e.g., Get a Horse! or the recent Oswald short), but I generally prefer something new and original to pure emulation.

_caleb

Original Poster
I’m glad they’re steering clear of this kind of imitation. It works well when done sparingly or with a twist (e.g., Get a Horse! or the recent Oswald short), but I generally prefer something new and original to pure emulation.
I was thinking of the Oswald short when I wrote that! Yeah, I can see how rehashing the old stuff might not be the greatest idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom