Mickey Mouse at MLB All-Star

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't know where the following excerpt came from, so I can't credit it; it was sent to me by a co-worker whose husband pasted it into an email to her:

The All-Star Game is in Anaheim next month, so in the tradition of shameless corporate sponsorship, MLB created 30 Mickey Mouse statues, each one honoring a different pro team. Naturally, the Red Sox Mickey has been brutally violated http://www.ocregister.com/news/statue-254569-league-mickey.html.

The seven-foot-tall statues were placed in various locales around the Los Angeles area as part of a promotional contest, and the statue adorned with Red Sox logos and colors was sent to the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana. That's where it sat until last Friday, when Science Center officials noticed that Mickey had been vandalized. Someone "whacked" it with something, creating "a crack in one of the arms and some damage to the baseball Mickey is holding." Mickey has been hospitalized until the damage can be repaired. Sorry ... until it can be re-imagineered.

It's been well-established that Red Sox Nation has extended its tentacles all across this great land, but now we at least have proof that people willing to physically bash inanimate Red Sox logos are just as plentiful and aggressive. All the other statues appear to be alive and well—for now. If Yankee Mickey ends up at the bottom of the LA River, don't say he wasn't warned.​

Even though I was born and raised in the Bronx, I can't approve of whacking the Red Sox Mickey. I also think that all normal fan behaviour regarding team rivalries should be put aside during the All Star Game--all those players made All Star and it is a special moment for them, it shouldn't be tarnished by boos from the local crowd if a rivalry exists. They all deserve applause for being there.

Here's a list of locations of all the Mickeys and what they look like: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/components/events/all_star/y2010/mickey_mouse_statue_locations.pdf

rsoxguy

I don't know where the following excerpt came from, so I can't credit it; it was sent to me by a co-worker whose husband pasted it into an email to her:
The All-Star Game is in Anaheim next month, so in the tradition of shameless corporate sponsorship, MLB created 30 Mickey Mouse statues, each one honoring a different pro team. Naturally, the Red Sox Mickey has been brutally violated http://www.ocregister.com/news/statue-254569-league-mickey.html.

The seven-foot-tall statues were placed in various locales around the Los Angeles area as part of a promotional contest, and the statue adorned with Red Sox logos and colors was sent to the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana. That's where it sat until last Friday, when Science Center officials noticed that Mickey had been vandalized. Someone "whacked" it with something, creating "a crack in one of the arms and some damage to the baseball Mickey is holding." Mickey has been hospitalized until the damage can be repaired. Sorry ... until it can be re-imagineered.

It's been well-established that Red Sox Nation has extended its tentacles all across this great land, but now we at least have proof that people willing to physically bash inanimate Red Sox logos are just as plentiful and aggressive. All the other statues appear to be alive and well—for now. If Yankee Mickey ends up at the bottom of the LA River, don't say he wasn't warned.​
Even though I was born and raised in the Bronx, I can't approve of whacking the Red Sox Mickey. I also think that all normal fan behaviour regarding team rivalries should be put aside during the All Star Game--all those players made All Star and it is a special moment for them, it shouldn't be tarnished by boos from the local crowd if a rivalry exists. They all deserve applause for being there.

Here's a list of locations of all the Mickeys and what they look like: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/components/events/all_star/y2010/mickey_mouse_statue_locations.pdf

It was probably a frustrated Padres fan.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Methinks the Red Sox are in the Angels' heads. Or at least those of their fans....:cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom