Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
I was just wondering how trackless ride systems are used vs. tracks...
uses GPS-type technology but with positioning pucks? not satelites (I believe) instead of the wire guided in the concrete like GMR had (and Tower uses now). The benefit of using this tech is a different ride experience for each car. If you have never watched it go to youtube and search Pooh's Hunnyhut ride. It will show you what this ride will potentially do. Imagine all the ride vehicles go into a large(ish) room, they can all split off from each other and visit different show peices, each one going to something different at the time, when all the vehicles see all the show pieces they move to the next room. So, this ride could do the same thing, each "train car" can split off from each other and visit different show pieces in a different order than the other cars and then move on to the next room.

Just a bit of a different experience:)

Last edited:

_caleb

uses GPS technology (I believe). The benefit of using this tech is a different ride experience for each car. If you have never watched it go to youtube and search Pooh's Hunnyhut ride. It will show you what this ride will potentially do. Imagine all the ride vehicles go into a large(ish) room, they can all split off from each other and visit different show peices, each one going to something different at the time, when all the vehicles see all the show pieces they move to the next room. So, this ride could do the same thing, each "train car" can split off from each other and visit different show pieces in a different order than the other cars and then move on to the next room.

Just a bit of a different experience:)
Thanks! I understood that the ride vehicles essentially drove themselves around, but I couldn't really see an application for how that might be used. I checked out a video of Pooh's Hunny Hunt at TDL. Looks pretty neat.

I imagine on MMRR, these will be in a train formation in some parts of the ride, and then the train cars will all go separate ways at various points along the way.

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
Thanks! I understood that the ride vehicles essentially drove themselves around, but I couldn't really see an application for how that might be used. Looks pretty neat.

I imagine on MMRR, these will be in a train formation in some parts of the ride, and then the train cars will all go separate ways at various points along the way.
Yep, that is what I think will happen. Probably with the vehicles chasing behind Goofy as the engineer.

Goofyernmost

If you had an amazing ride about old movies, it could do something even better. IF you hadn't seen it in awhile, youd leave saying.. man I need to watch ____ again. Or if you had never seen the movie, you would leave saying.. "man I have to see singing in the rain" "that scene from Casablanca.. I have to see the movie now to experience that emotion". So in theory it would never be dated... the worst thing you might have is AP's who can memorize every line and so get bored because it wouldn't change... but that doesn't seem to hurt HM, POTC, JC... that brings up another point how do people with aps.. not get bored... do you take breaks from rides?
Damn, I wish people would understand... it isn't about random movies, it is about the movies that made Hollywood in the early years. They only reason why Fantasia is in it is because they couldn't get permission to put any more story about the Wizard of Oz. Yes, the movies that have been listed are good ones, but, they are not the pioneers in the movie production business. We all know what movies look like now, but, we don't necessarily know what started the whole thing. The most recognizable movie in the show was the Wizard of Oz and that movie was made in 1939 and the only reason why most know about it now is because it runs every year on TV.

I'll be 71 in a couple of months and even though I was familiar with a lot of the names of the movies depicted, I saw almost none of them except Wizard and Mary Poppins. It wasn't about familiar it was about the HISTORY of how Hollywood got started.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Damn, I wish people would understand... it isn't about random movies, it is about the movies that made Hollywood in the early years. They only reason why Fantasia is in it is because they couldn't get permission to put any more story about the Wizard of Oz. Yes, the movies that have been listed are good ones, but, they are not the pioneers in the movie production business. We all know what movies look like now, but, we don't necessarily know what started the whole thing. The most recognizable movie in the show was the Wizard of Oz and that movie was made in 1939 and the only reason why most know about it now is because it runs every year on TV.

I'll be 71 in a couple of months and even though I was familiar with a lot of the names of the movies depicted, I saw almost none of them except Wizard. It wasn't about familiar it was about the HISTORY of how Hollywood got started.

Alien is part of how Hollywood got started?

FigmentForver96

The thing is, when GMR OPENED, it had mostly 30+ year old movies features
Because the ride never was meant to be “relavent”. That very idea is what killed EPCOT Center and then now Epcot. The ride was a celebration of Hollywood and that meant going back to original films that really showcased the origins of moving making. It was meant to evoke suspense, joy, terror etc...much like Horizons and Spaceship Earth inspired us to look to the future by seeing first our past. It honored the message of the park which was the Hollywood that never was but always would be. Nobody would argue it needed an update but the idea is stronger then most to seem to give credit for. Plus if the small children were truly that board then people need to understand that Disney once understood they catered to a wider range of people.

Rich Brownn

Because the ride never was meant to be “relavent”. That very idea is what killed EPCOT Center and then now Epcot. The ride was a celebration of Hollywood and that meant going back to original films that really showcased the origins of moving making. It was meant to evoke suspense, joy, terror etc...much like Horizons and Spaceship Earth inspired us to look to the future by seeing first our past. It honored the message of the park which was the Hollywood that never was but always would be. Nobody would argue it needed an update but the idea is stronger then most to seem to give credit for. Plus if the small children were truly that board then people need to understand that Disney once understood they catered to a wider range of people.
Ironic, since GMR was actually the Entertainment Pavilion for Epcot. It was used to jump start the studios to open earlier than Universal.

Goofyernmost

Alien is part of how Hollywood got started?
Probably was when it came to the start of big budget Sci Fi. Why didn't you add in Mary Poppins and Indiana Jones. Or maybe it was because the attraction was in a Disney Park and one was Disney and the other by George Lucas. It really doesn't matter, you know as well as I do what the idea behind GMR was so why the question? Are you saying that it should have catered to the teeny boppers that do not want to be informed about history or are to entrenched in the present to accept what the purpose was? I guess the "Hollywood that never was and always will be" just can't be understood by those that don't want to. It no longer matters, the for or against is useless. It is gone and it ain't coming back.

ppete1975

I'll be 71 in a couple of months and even though I was familiar with a lot of the names of the movies depicted, I saw almost none of them except Wizard and Mary Poppins. It wasn't about familiar it was about the HISTORY of how Hollywood got started.
a) you look great for 71
b) I agree.. there are some movies that most people have never seen on the ride. But I think that's where it could have made you want to watch them. I never left the ride thinking.. man I want to see Casablanca!!! (btw I have seen it.. good movie)

Mediachi

I'm kinda disappointed with the rumored delay of Runaway Railway (Heh. It rhymes.) It could've been the perfect way to keep Galaxy's Edge crowds to a slight minimal.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It wasnt a culture thing as much as an age thing. Put some movies in there that released after 1980 if you want to connect with everyone. I'm 37 years old and none of the movies on that ride would have put this as a must ride for me. Maybe Alien but to do that property justice risks scaring a core audience group. Besides Wizard Of Oz the whole ride needed to be put in a museum.

I mean for most riders it was scene from movie you have never seen to movie you have never even heard of to boy at least the AC works while I look at a busted Tarzan dangle back and forth.

The ride was not a nostalgia trip... it was about celebrating movie history and impact. If you just made it about more current movies.. then you would have lost the purpose and impact.

The issue is newer audiences are not swayed by that history... no matter how important or significant it was... because the industry as a whole right now has people chasing other things. SFX and visuals have radically changed how people perceive movies now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom