Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

mharrington

That's true. So, if they build the ride backstage, they would have to relocate and build new management buildings.

I sincerely doubt it will be an exact copy, footprint size and all. If that was the case, it would likely be done around the same time as the actual Runaway Railway, which is to say it would be happening right now (like the Toy Story midway ride or Star Tours 2.0). I would think, in this case, that it would likely get reduced in size somewhere along the way.

That said, it would probably make sense to use Mickey's house as the queue, as there is already the "movie barn", but even so, that deprives Mickey of a meet-n-greet spot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

I think it was obvious by the time they announced Pandora that this was not on the same level as Harry Potter or Star Wars, so not sure if I'd say it was silly or reactionary. The hype machine had long died by September '11. They had their vision and stuck with it for better or for worse. For all the flack they get about being money hungry and IP obsessed, they'd have known by then this wasn't something the kids were going to go crazy over.

That said, I wonder how Disney's relationship with James Cameron is these days. If you look back at plans around Avatar, there should have already been two additional movies in theaters. Original plans (according to this article from Jim Hill) were for part 2 to hit in 2014 and part 3 to follow in 2015 when Pandora was originally expected to open.

Obviously not a single part of that went according to plan. Pandora should have opened with a more more flushed out cinematic world associated with it and instead there's just that one movie that everyone has forgotten about. If I were Disney, I'd be pretty PO'd with the guy for not keeping the momentum going and growing fandom around the series. Cameron has an incredible track record though and hopefully, like all his other projects, there's a reason why he's waited so long to put out the new films.

Makes me wonder if part of the apathy around Avatar has been the lack of a sequel combined with fatigue with franchise. I recall Avatar being massive when it was released and then watched the inevitable reactionary blow back as it grew in popularity. Now that things have simmered down I expect a resurgence in interest when the first sequel is released.

Phroobar

The only reason Avatar was popular was because of the well done CG and incredible use of 3D. Now every movie can be seen in 3D and CG is much better now. This movie really hadn't aged well. He better come up with something as good as Aliens or T2 but I think we will get an even worst movie than Titanic.

mickEblu

Makes me wonder if part of the apathy around Avatar has been the lack of a sequel combined with fatigue with franchise. I recall Avatar being massive when it was released and then watched the inevitable reactionary blow back as it grew in popularity. Now that things have simmered down I expect a resurgence in interest when the first sequel is released.

I think it’s just the lack of a sequel. If people aren’t fatigued with what they re doing with Marvel than the one Avatar movie from 9 years ago shouldn’t be giving them fatigue.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

I think it’s just the lack of a sequel. If people aren’t fatigued with what they re doing with Marvel than the one Avatar movie from 9 years ago shouldn’t be giving them fatigue.

I meant people got tired of the hype soon after the original release. Some have dubbed it "The Avatar Effect", referring to a film that is somewhat ordinary but for some reason it's met with a super-reception at the box office (Avatar's worldwide box-office gross was over $2.7 billion). Within a year or so the film collapses on its on hype and its popularity dwindles. Also see: Frozen.

SuddenStorm

I meant people got tired of the hype soon after the original release. Some have dubbed it "The Avatar Effect", referring to a film that is somewhat ordinary but for some reason it's met with a super-reception at the box office (Avatar's worldwide box-office gross was over $2.7 billion). Within a year or so the film collapses on its on hype and its popularity dwindles. Also see: Frozen.

This effect also plagues most every pop song that comes out. Call Me Maybe anyone?

dweezil78

To be fair, Frozen got wayyyy more mileage than Avatar did and continues to be pretty popular even with adults having grown tired of it. The other thing is that Avatar wasn't built to be a huge money making merchandise machine with all kinds of extensions. It was pretty much an event movie with minimal merch and that was it really. There was nowhere for it to go really after the movie left theaters other than home video where the industry hoped it would help sell some 3D televisions, and we all know how that panned out.

One other thing I was thinking of... Does anyone know if Disney has an out clause on the Pandora theme or if there is any kind of expiration on the contract for the rights? Because at some point, should they not want to continue having a Pandora themed land, they could really easily convert that area to Beastly Kingdom. Flight of Passage could very easily be converted to a 'ride on the back of a dragon' simulator and I'm sure that is not a coincidence! The rest of it is very non-specific to any storyline or locales in the movie, unlike Harry Potter or Carsland. I would say the same applies for Star Wars Land -- it's a location that's not tied directly to anything we've seen in the films before.

Ismael Flores

The only reason Avatar was popular was because of the well done CG and incredible use of 3D. Now every movie can be seen in 3D and CG is much better now. This movie really hadn't aged well. He better come up with something as good as Aliens or T2 but I think we will get an even worst movie than Titanic.
What I have found disappointing is that even after all these years no studio has really come out with a movie that uses 3d properly. They seem to enjoy shooting the movies normally then doing a 3d conversion. The effect is not as good as if shot originally in 3d.

I still can’t believe Disney hasn’t done another 3d short or movie that matches the one Mickey short a few years back that was amazing. They literally turned a black and white shirt I to color and it looked like it was off the screen.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
How to Train Your Dragon was amazing in 3D. Also Polar Express.

Agreed. Some stories lend better to be in 3D, such as the flight scenes in Dragon and the train scene in Polar.

3D for the sake of 3D fails, but when its done right it looks good. The next wave of 3D will be glasses-free 3D, which is what James Cameron has been waiting on for the sequels to Avatar. It may not be here for Avatar 2, but I expect an Avatar sequel to be the one to usher in the era of glasses-free 3D.

truecoat

Avatar toys never sold very well when they were in stores. I was able to pick them up for a dollar or two for customizing purposes. I don't think James Cameron, like George Lucas, has what it takes anymore to make a great blockbuster anymore.

What? His last two movies have been the biggest blockbusters of all time. And as far as merchandising, those Banshees have sold quite well in Avatarland. On top of this, if Disney buys 20th century fox like it looks, they'll own Avatar.

I doubt we'll get more info any time soon, but as far as I know, it's on the docket. I'm guessing they want to nail down some DCA expansion first.
DCA needs to get it's (stuff) together. Honestly I think the name of the park is fine as is since it combines all of Disney's adventurous properties together into one park. Right after they remodeled Paradise Pier I was shocked that they just announced that they're redoing it again into Pixar Pier. My guess as to why this is is that Bug's Land and the Hollywood section of the park are going to be bulldozed soon for Marvel Land (that's why we saw Muppets and Monster's Inc close as well as TOT turn into Guardians) but I think they must have delayed the Marvel project for another year or so. Why you may ask? Latest news says that Disney just cracked a deal with 21st Century Fox that will be announced by the end of the year, which opens up the possibilities of X-Men and Fantastic Four attractions.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
DCA needs to get it's (stuff) together. Honestly I think the name of the park is fine as is since it combines all of Disney's adventurous properties together into one park. Right after they remodeled Paradise Pier I was shocked that they just announced that they're redoing it again into Pixar Pier. My guess as to why this is is that Bug's Land and the Hollywood section of the park are going to be bulldozed soon for Marvel Land (that's why we saw Muppets and Monster's Inc close as well as TOT turn into Guardians) but I think they must have delayed the Marvel project for another year or so. Why you may ask? Latest news says that Disney just cracked a deal with 21st Century Fox that will be announced by the end of the year, which opens up the possibilities of X-Men and Fantastic Four attractions.

We won't see X Men/F4 attractions at DCA. The movie properties are not strong at all, Disney's MCU films are much more popular and bankable.

There is so much Marvel material though, it would have behooved them to just BUILD A THIRD PARK

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom