Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

Brer Oswald

I actually value your thoughts and opinions on the ride because you’ve actually experienced it.
Thank you!

I think part of what added to my disappointment is DHS’ poor attraction lineup in general. You have some quality attractions, but the low quantity makes wait times quite unbearable. This of course is not an issue in Disneyland.

PiratesMansion

I would have to imagine most people (
20 and up have seen the Wizard of Oz. But you do have a point. The thing is…it never really mattered for me. The physical sets were so grand and immersive, I never cared that I didn’t recognize the films.

If they had given Mickey the same treatment in terms of set design, I’d probably prefer the new attraction to GMR
I'm probably in the minority, in that I thought GMR was a hokey experience with ride vehicles like tanks and more-off-putting-than-usual AAs. To me it was just as much of a giant warehouse as a lot of the newer attractions. But it was unlike anything else and did set out the park's thesis statement. I can understand the frustration with the replacement of the GMR even if it wasn't my cup of tea, especially from a capacity perspective and the desire to fill rides with tangible sets and props. I'm curious to see what I'll think of it when I get to ride it later this year.
I’ve done the WDW version. There are things I like about it. There are lots of things that disappoint me.

The base concept of the ride (entering a Mickey Mouse cartoon) is great, I just wish they did more with it. But they just don’t make dark rides like they used to.
Which is valid. You've ridden the thing, you didn't care for it, that's fine. I just don't understand people writing paragraphs about how much they don't like it based on impressions they're 100% sure they have absolutely right based on a YouTube video.

Californian Elitist

Thank you!

I think part of what added to my disappointment is DHS’ poor attraction lineup in general. You have some quality attractions, but the low quantity makes wait times quite unbearable. This of course is not an issue in Disneyland.
And that’s fair. I definitely understand being disappointed given the context surrounding DHS’ version, how it got there, etc.

Given how landlocked we are, it really is miraculous how they manage to squeeze stuff in, mostly without removing rides. The “blessing of size” may not really be what we think it is. Anyways, I do think I will enjoy this ride, based on what I’ve heard about it so far. It helps that nothing was sacrificed, except a store I didn’t care about in the first place.

Rich T

This. It's so strange for people to say Mickey being cruel to animals or being a jerk is out of character, that IS his character. Mickey being Mr Perfect nice guy is just boring and would make for boring cartoons.

I'm glad Disney has given the fab 5 some personality instead of being squeaky clean perfect characters.
It’s so strange for people to say that, in 2023, Mickey and Minnie should engage in the same kind of cruelty displayed in the their earliest development. I guess, then they’re saying it’s perfectly great for modern characters/actors to perform offensive actions and jokes from the 1920s??? Especially when they’re supposedly the heroes?

You know, the FAB 5 have had many incarnations over the past 20 years where they had more fleshed-out personalities and dimension… and no dog-kicking necessary.

Magenta Panther

And that’s fair. I definitely understand being disappointed given the context surrounding DHS’ version, how it got there, etc.

Given how landlocked we are, it really is miraculous how they manage to squeeze stuff in, mostly without removing rides. The “blessing of size” may not really be what we think it is. Anyways, I do think I will enjoy this ride, based on what I’ve heard about it so far. It helps that nothing was sacrificed, except a store I didn’t care about in the first place.
So you think you'll like the ride, given what you've heard of it, and I think I'll dislike it, given what I've seen of it. Split hairs much?

For my part, I just expected too much regarding MMRR. The first Mickey Mouse dark ride really should be more coherent and feature better AAs than what we got in the finished version. I have nothing against the Mickey design in the new cartoons, BTW. I love those things. Mickey has a temper, is funny, and yet retains his nice-guy persona, although I do wish the animators/storyboarders wouldn't go so off-model with him so much (yes, I know it's done to be funny, and that's great - it often is. But if I watch a new Mouse cartoon and he looks like Mortimer during the whole thing, then I think it's a problem). I just wish the Imagineers hadn't taken that idiot Iger so literally when he (from what I understand) mandated that the Mickey in the ride look like the new version, and therefore tried to make his AA look 2D. What the heck for? Mickey has a round head in the cartoon, it works in perspective, so why can't the AA's?

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

It’s so strange for people to say that, in 2023, Mickey and Minnie should engage in the same kind of cruelty displayed in the their earliest development. I guess, then they’re saying it’s perfectly great for modern characters/actors to perform offensive actions and jokes from the 1920s??? Especially when they’re supposedly the heroes?

You know, the FAB 5 have had many incarnations over the past 20 years where they had more fleshed-out personalities and dimension… and no dog-kicking necessary.
No one here is advocating for animal cruelty, simply pointing out that technically such actions are in character historically for M&M.
So you think you'll like the ride, given what you've heard of it, and I think I'll dislike it, given what I've seen of it. Split hairs much?
Her posts have hardly been 100% rah rah on the new ride, she's expressed more of a mixed impression based on what she's seen, but is reserving final judgment for when she rides it herself. Which is what we should all do, really. There's so much that can't be told from a ride video, and it just happens to be noticeable that most of the people who have been really hating on the ride haven't actually ridden it, which I think is odd. YMMV.

CaptinEO

Yes those poor cartoon animals are truly suffering. They are kid cartoons and people know it's all fictional and for fun.

Mickey spinning the tail of a cat like a victrolla to play a song is a funny scene and nothing else.

Also since when are Mickey and Minnie heroes? I never got that impression.

Disney Analyst

What will you put in it?

It’s one of those bagged assemble salads, got it at Costco… it is gonna sound weird, but it is delicious:

3C5C54A0-12C5-4D85-B579-498523796EE4.jpeg

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

So excited for this. I hope the virtual queue (or ILL) allows guests ample time to take in what looks to be a very detailed, charming queue.

Haven’t actually ridden the DHS version, but I remember watching a POV and thinking the transition from underwater to city via the sewer actually looked really cool! Haha. Who knows how it plays in person; maybe the DL version is a plus-up.

yensidtlaw1969

I've mentioned this before in the WDW Runaway Railway thread, but it seems pertinent watching videos of the DL version - Does anyone else take issue with the ceilings in Runaway Railway?

Photos from the ride in Spoilers:

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 4.05.36 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 4.18.09 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 4.20.35 AM.png

I just . . . for a ride that claims to immerse you in a cartoon world, they're really cutting things short on the immersion part. So much of the ride is relegated to being essentially a projection-mapped mural. Imagine how massively better it would be if the ceilings were also being projected on, or even just painted the color of the sky. Pirates of the Caribbean had better ceilings in 1967 than Runaway Railway does in the 2020's. Shooting stars and drifting clouds!

Would we have loved these rides so much if their scenes had looked like this?:

Pirates w Black Ceiling copy 2.jpg

Splash Mountain w Black Ceiling.jpg

choco choco

I would have to imagine most people (
20 and up have seen the Wizard of Oz. But you do have a point. The thing is…it never really mattered for me. The physical sets were so grand and immersive, I never cared that I didn’t recognize the films.

It never matters in a ride that people haven’t seen a movie. That’s why the IP-only invasion of the last twenty years or so has been so stupid.

mickEblu

This actually sounds really good. If I wasn’t currently on a no meat and no dairy diet, I’d toss a few pieces of grilled chicken in there.

You would like this salad I’ve been getting from Gus’s BBQ in Porter Ranch minus the blue cheese crumbles…

mixed greens, blue cheese crumbles, candied peanuts, cornbread croutons, louisiana peanut dressing. The dressing is vinegar based. The croutons are great. Are slightly crispy but also have some chew to them

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom