Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

Old Mouseketeer

I still believe it’s going to Toontown too. This is just one of those scenarios where I can see a silver lining either way. If it goes in Toontown then Toontown most likely gets spruced up and RRCTS is saved for the foreseeable future. If it goes in the Backlot, then we can avoid Marvel eating up more of DCA and BVS or Hollywoodland probably becomes a legitimate land. The only way I’m not happy is if it doesn’t come at all. Or if they want to use Toontown as a SWL expansion in the future. I’m ok with a Fantasyland expansion going there even though I’d prefer it elsewhere.

My Bothan spies report unequivocally that MMRR is going into Toontown. Staff shops have vacated both the L-shaped building around the pyro farm and the 500 building directly to the East. The Entertainment Division is fully engaged in planning for the move from the main Entertainment HQ (where MMRR will be located) to the other two buildings.

I have heard this from CMs who have been told by their managers that this is the real deal. I still have unanswered questions about some of the details, but generally the move is happening. We know that permits have been pulled for work in these two buildings. I'm also told there are already construction fences starting to go up.

mickEblu

My Bothan spies report unequivocally that MMRR is going into Toontown. Staff shops have vacated both the L-shaped building around the pyro farm and the 500 building directly to the East. The Entertainment Division is fully engaged in planning for the move from the main Entertainment HQ (where MMRR will be located) to the other two buildings.

I have heard this from CMs who have been told by their managers that this is the real deal. I still have unanswered questions about some of the details, but generally the move is happening. We know that permits have been pulled for work in these two buildings. I'm also told there are already construction fences starting to go up.

Nice! Thanks for the info. I wonder when they will start demo/ construction and if this will be up and running by 2021/2022.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Nice! Thanks for the info. I wonder when they will start demo/ construction and if this will be up and running by 2021/2022.
I imagine demo will start sometime between end of this month and the end of May, with construction starting a couple months after that. So that by the time D23 comes around in August they'll be able to announce it officially saying they've already started construction with opening in summer of 2021.

Old Mouseketeer

I imagine demo will start sometime between end of this month and the end of May, with construction starting a couple months after that. So that by the time D23 comes around in August they'll be able to announce it officially saying they've already started construction with opening in summer of 2021.

I think that's extremely early if you mean demo of the Entertainment building where the MMRR show building will be located. First they have to build out the spaces in the two service buildings in order to relocate Entertainment. Some of the things we've read in the permits are an interior elevator, exterior stairs, dressing and shower areas, and offices. Remember, these buildings are classified as industrial or maintenance uses. They have to convert them to a different type of occupancy. I haven't heard any dates for Entertainment to start moving, but I would think not before August. Maybe some of our construction-savvy members can shed light on this.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think that's extremely early if you mean demo of the Entertainment building where the MMRR show building will be located. First they have to build out the spaces in the two service buildings in order to relocate Entertainment. Some of the things we've read in the permits are an interior elevator, exterior stairs, dressing and shower areas, and offices. Remember, these buildings are classified as industrial or maintenance uses. They have to convert them to a different type of occupancy. I haven't heard any dates for Entertainment to start moving, but I would think not before August. Maybe some of our construction-savvy members can shed light on this.

Maybe, but it seems like they are moving on this more quickly than thought and not waiting. By your own internal spies there are already construction fences going up, meaning they are beginning things now not August. What that entails, we'll just have to wait and see. So while I'm guessing at this point, it doesn't seem that far fetched to think they will get this thing going as quick as possible. Again I would think they want to be far enough along to make the announcement at D23 in August.

What we've seen over the last couple of years is that Disney has no issue displacing CM even for a short period of time in order to get construction projects underway. I expect nothing different here.

RescueTheDay

My sources confirm as well that Entertainment hasn’t received a date that they’ll be out by. Waiting to get a clearer picture of how long they’ll need to convert those buildings over. I’d expect we’ll see construction start midsummer.

Old Mouseketeer

My sources confirm as well that Entertainment hasn’t received a date that they’ll be out by. Waiting to get a clearer picture of how long they’ll need to convert those buildings over. I’d expect we’ll see construction start midsummer.

Again, can we please clarify? I believe that we are seeing demo start in the L-shaped building around pyro (9073 or 9053?). I'm told the 500 building is still being emptied of the last racks and shelves. Construction could start soon, if it hasn't already. But demo of the Entertainment building I don't expect until fall and maybe even the beginning of 2020. YMMV.

Bongocrab88

I'm curious what the rational is to install this in Toon Town as opposed to Hollywood in DCA. Post SWGE I would think the goal of all future construction would be to pull as many people as possible away from the back of Disneyland and draw people in DCA. Not complaining in the slightest, I just thought it was a bit of an odd choice.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm curious what the rational is to install this in Toon Town as opposed to Hollywood in DCA. Post SWGE I would think the goal of all future construction would be to pull as many people as possible away from the back of Disneyland and draw people in DCA. Not complaining in the slightest, I just thought it was a bit of an odd choice.

Don't know if anyone will be on the record for that, but my surmising is...

SWL will demand that DL have more capacity. And I'm guessing DCA's future is more "lands" and MMRR wouldn't fit in any of DCA's future lands, meanwhile, there's a Toon Land in DL...

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No

I think your concern over crowd flow is valid, but for me, having Mickey's first attraction in Walt's original park makes sense, and of all the places in the park to put it (and based on the look and feel of the attraction), I think Mickey's Toontown is the best fit. So to me, it's not an odd choice at all. Plus TT can use something new to spruce it up.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
So why then did they build it first in Hollywood Studios at WDW? Which is essentially the same thing as DCA's Hollywood backlot.

Where they build it first or even where they place it at WDW is irrelevant to me. All I care about is that if it is going to be in the West Coast that it be in Walt's original park and Mickey's Toon Town makes the most sense to me.

mickEblu

I think if the Eastern Gateway didn’t fall through and Marvel plans were finalized that this would have gone in the backlot instead and Toontown would have been used for a Fantasyland Or Star Wars Land expansion.

Mayor Tait saved Toontown. Therefore, Mayor Tait is Eddie Valiant.

I guess you could say Captain Kidd’s buffet and the like saved Toontown too.

The_Mesh_Hatter

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Parade Support Building was retrofitted into the Mickey ride just like they’re doing in Florida. The building directly behind that, used for ride maintenance and such, has been completely cleared, so it seems Parade Support will relocate back there...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom