Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

mickEblu

Maybe "reenter" is the wrong word. The whole point of the gag is that we're leaving the real world and entering the toon world to be part of the short. To use it exactly the same in TT would be weird. Why would we need to enter the screen to enter the toon world to be part of the short when we're already in toon world. This is why the Inception analogy works, because using the same exact screen transition gag we're going into the toon world inside the short within the toon world, ie its very "Inception".

I hope so, they are doing enough to differentiate the rest of it to make it different than DHS, why not the preshow too.

Again will it be the end of the world if they use the same gag of going into the screen to go into the short, no. But I do hope they do something different for the preshow.

You re not entering the screen to get into the Toon world as you are already in the Toon World obviously. You re entering to go on an adventure which is the same reason you enter on the DHS version.

Sharon&Susan

Maybe "reenter" is the wrong word. The whole point of the gag is that we're leaving the real world and entering the toon world to be part of the short. To use it exactly the same in TT would be weird. Why would we need to enter the screen to enter the toon world to be part of the short when we're already in toon world. This is why the Inception analogy works, because using the same exact screen transition gag we're going into the toon world inside the short within the toon world, ie its very "Inception".
It's not any more Inception than 100 years ago Buster Keaton walking through a movie screen to visit a mansion that would've also existed in his world. The screen being used as a teleportation device is nothing new.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You re not entering the screen to get into the Toon world as you are already in the Toon World obviously. You re entering to go on an adventure which is the same reason you enter on the DHS version.
Its not the same reason, as its the context in which its used that matters here. The same context can't be used in TT since we're already in the toon world as we both agree. This is why I hope they decide to do a different preshow. Maybe instead of Goofy causing the screen to blow up they have him open a portal hole in the screen to be transported to the train station, I don't know.

You want to call its just entering the adventure because at the end of the day no matter the context that is what we're doing, cool. Again its not the end of the world if they do, but my personal hope is they do a slightly different preshow that is all.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I've never felt like when I enter ToonTown that I'm entering a cartoon. More like I'm entering a "cartoony" or "cartoonish" place, but everything is still physical.

MMRR is meant to feel like you are actually entering a cartoon. Everything (or mostly everything) around you is "cell shaded" and given an animated drawing type look, so the two "worlds" are quite different....at least to me.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It's not any more Inception than 100 years ago Buster Keaton walking through a movie screen to visit a mansion that would've also existed in his world. The screen being used as a teleportation device is nothing new.
I'm not saying its anything new. I'm just hoping they do something different for the preshow that is all. I'll say it again, it won't be the end of the world if they decide to use the same exact preshow.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I've never felt like when I enter ToonTown that I'm entering a cartoon. More like I'm entering a "cartoony" or "cartoonish" place, but everything is still physical.

MMRR is meant to feel like you are actually entering a cartoon. Everything (or mostly everything) around you is "cell shaded" and given an animated drawing type look, so the two "worlds" are quite different....at least to me.
Whether we feel it personally or not (I never did either honestly) the whole concept is we're entering the toon world when walking under the bridge. Its meant to be like Eddie going down the tunnel in Who Framed Roger Rabbit transitioning from LA to Toon Town.

mickEblu

Its not the same reason, as its the context in which its used that matters here. The same context can't be used in TT since we're already in the toon world as we both agree. This is why I hope they decide to do a different preshow. Maybe instead of Goofy causing the screen to blow up they have him open a portal hole in the screen to be transported to the train station, I don't know.

You want to call its just entering the adventure because at the end of the day no matter the context that is what we're doing, cool. Again its not the end of the world if they do, but my personal hope is they do a slightly different preshow that is all.

What’s the difference of a portal hole or the screen blowing up though? You’re at a movie theatre. The screen blows up and now you’re on an adventure with the actors you were going to see on screen. Let’s assume this happened in the Human world. Its 2005 and you re going to see Mr and Mrs Smith. The screen blows up and the next thing you know you re running around with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. Would that not be interesting?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
What’s the difference of a portal hole or the screen blowing up though? You’re at a movie theatre. The screen blows up and now you’re on an adventure with the actors you were going to see on screen. Let’s assume this happened in the Human world. Its 2005 and you re going to see Mr and Mrs Smith. The screen blows up and the next thing you know you re running around with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. Would that not be interesting?
Of course it would be interesting. Its already interesting at DHS, so that is obviously not what I'm talking about. Seeing Mickey and Minnie in TT is interesting already. Walking through Mickey's house and into the barn movie studio is interesting already.

Its not that its not interesting to walk into a movie screen to enter the adventure. Its the context in which its being done that is what I'm talking about. The transition from human world into the toon world by Goofy literally speaking directly to the CM asking if they can help us "into the cartoon", that is what I'm talking about.

If you don't see an issue with it, cool. All I've said is I hope they do something slightly different for the preshow, its just my opinion. Will they, probably not. Will it be the end of the world and make me not go on it, of course not.

Disney Analyst

Seeing as the preshow ties into the ride so seamlessly, I doubt the preshow will change much apart from you now being in a Toon movie theatre, seeing a toon movie.

Screen rips open, you get to enter the movie and join the action.

The end.

mickEblu

Of course it would be interesting. Its already interesting at DHS, so that is obviously not what I'm talking about. Seeing Mickey and Minnie in TT is interesting already. Walking through Mickey's house and into the barn movie studio is interesting already.

Its not that its not interesting to walk into a movie screen to enter the adventure. Its the context in which its being done that is what I'm talking about. The transition from human world into the toon world by Goofy literally speaking directly to the CM asking if they can help us "into the cartoon", that is what I'm talking about.

If you don't see an issue with it, cool. All I've said is I hope they do something slightly different for the preshow, its just my opinion. Will they, probably not. Will it be the end of the world and make me not go on it, of course not.

Oh ok. No it’s not the end of the world. I’m just trying to understand where you re coming from. Is that what Goofy says? Haven’t seen a ride though in a while. Maybe I’m just not understanding the issue. If they rewrote the line about stepping into the cartoon would there still be an issue?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Oh ok. No it’s not the end of the world. I’m just trying to understand where you re coming from. Is that what Goofy says? Haven’t seen a ride though in a while. Maybe I’m just not understanding the issue. If they rewrote the line about stepping into the cartoon would there still be an issue?
Yes that is exactly what he says "mind helping these good people into the cartoon". And that is why I'm hoping they change it just slightly being that we're already in the toon world. So maybe the line gets changes to, "mind helping these good people into the train station", or something like that.

But I accept the fact it probably won't be changed. Again it just a bit too "Inception" for my taste, but again not the end of the world.

mickEblu

Yes that is exactly what he says "mind helping these good people into the cartoon". And that is why I'm hoping they change it just slightly being that we're already in the toon world. So maybe the line gets changes to, "mind helping these good people into the train station", or something like that.

But I accept the fact it probably won't be changed. Again it just a bit too "Inception" for my taste, but again not the end of the world.

Wait so this whole back and forth was just about a line change? I had forgot about that line. That’s a very easy change but one that I’m not sure is necessary as you still are stepping into a cartoon as in cartoon short/ movie even though you re already in that world.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Wait so this whole back and forth was just about a line change? I had forgot about that line. That’s a very easy change but one that I’m not sure is necessary as you still are stepping into a cartoon as in cartoon short/ movie even though you re already in that world.
Well personally for me I'd like the whole preshow changed slightly, but I know that is likely not to happen given the whole movie theater entrance. So at the very least they should change the line to make it more in-line with us already being in the toon world.

Again its not the end of the world, but it no different than anything anyone else here nitpicks about. :)

No Name

So if the preshow remains the same, the premise is supposed to be that you’re already in Mickey and pals’ neighborhood, but then decide to watch a cartoon of them and walk through the screen into… the same world you’re already in, with the celebrities who live down the street?

To use the human analogy brought up earlier, it would be like getting to visit Larry David’s house and walk around his neighborhood, and then going to see an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm in a nearby theater, and on-screen Larry being like “hey want to step on into the show?” Where does that leave you… you’re stepping into the same world you’re in!

So at the very least they should change the line to make it more in-line with us already being in the toon world.
I think just changing the line would actually just make it more confusing. You’d still be going through a screen and into a cartoon that you werent a part of.

mickEblu

So if the preshow remains the same, the premise is supposed to be that you’re already in Mickey and pals’ neighborhood, but then decide to watch a cartoon of them and walk through the screen into… the same world you’re already in, with the celebrities who live down the street?

To use the human analogy brought up earlier, it would be like getting to visit Larry David’s house and walk around his neighborhood, and then going to see an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm in a nearby theater, and Larry being like “hey want to step on into the show?” Where does that leave you… you’re stepping into the same world you’re in.

I think just changing the line would actually just make it more confusing. You’d still be going through a screen and into a cartoon that you werent a part of.

Lol yeah forgot about the layout of the land. Depending on how you look at it it could kill the human analogy I made but I would argue that it does not. Toontown has never acted like Galaxies Edge as in being a hyper real place. We literally walk under a bridge next to Its a Small World and we re in Toontown. So if we re going to view Toontown like all the other lands in the park except Galaxies Edge then my analogy still works. If we’re going to concern ourselves with what’s going outside of an attractions marquee in relation to said attraction than we can question things all over the park. Like going through mini Radiator Springs again on RSR when we just saw the “real thing” outside. Or why are we in a theme park with people wearing Mickey hats outside of Indiana Jones?

With all of that said, I think the pre show still works in Toontown regardless of if my analogy is good or not. You re still getting transported via a movie screen to another location.

Last edited:

No Name

Lol yeah forgot about the layout of the land. Depending on how you look at it it could kill the human analogy I made but I would argue that it does not. Toontown has never acted like Galaxies Edge as in being a hyper real place. We literally walk under a bridge next to Its a Small World and we re in Toontown. So if we re going to view Toontown like all the other lands in the park except Galaxies Edge then my analogy still works. If we’re going to concern ourselves with what’s going outside of an attractions marquee in relation to said attraction than we can question things all over the park.

With all of that said, I think the pre show still works in Toontown regardless of if my analogy is good or not. You re still getting transported via a movie screen to another location.
I think it works well enough, but just without even putting much thought into it, I don’t think it’s equally as effective when you’re already in a cartoon world. Really I guess I just think the ride would’ve been better off at DCA.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

To use the human analogy brought up earlier, it would be like getting to visit Larry David’s house and walk around his neighborhood, and then going to see an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm in a nearby theater, and on-screen Larry being like “hey want to step on into the show?” Where does that leave you… you’re stepping into the same world you’re in!
The conceit of Mickey and Minnie is that in 'real life' they are married, but, they are also movie/TV stars, and as such, are often portrayed as courting sweethearts.

So, if you're in the 'real life' world of Mickey and Minnie, it wouldn't be at all surprising to see a local theater running one of their movies.

It would be like seeing John Krasinski and Emily Blunt on the streets of L.A., and then seeing a local theater playing A Quiet Place. But, don't step into that movie!

TP2000

Seeing as the preshow ties into the ride so seamlessly, I doubt the preshow will change much apart from you now being in a Toon movie theatre, seeing a toon movie.

Screen rips open, you get to enter the movie and join the action.

The end.

If you can work the concept of "recruits" into that pre-show, you're hired!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom