Michael Iceberg

mrtoad

Original Poster
Does anyone remember Michael Iceberg and his Iceberg Machine?

Back in the 70s when my family would go to WDW we use to go to what I believe was just called the Coca Cola Pavilion, obviously sponsored by Coca Cola. (It is now Cosmic Ray's Starlight Café).

We use to go to see Michael Iceberg and his Iceberg Machine which was a bunch of synthesizers in a large silver abstract icebergish shape. We would go and have to get there early because it was packed. We would have to wait for a table and then wait for chairs. He would make music and sounds. It was pretty neat.

Does anyone else remember him?

mkepcotmgmak

no no no, his name should be iceberg, but you are confused with michael eisner - not iceberg... he is the ceo - and not the one on these boards... lol j/k

colliera

Yes, I do remember him at WDW! First in the 70's at the Tomorrowland Terrace (a.k.a.) Cosmic Ray's and later when the show moved to the Tomorrowland stage. He used to comment on how cool it was to play from that location as he had a direct view of Space Mountain as he played.

I was a huge fan of electronic music in the 70's and Michael was the living embodiment of exactly what a music professor I had in college said couldn't be done. "Synthersizers will never be important in music. They can only play one note at a time." Let's see, I guess most wind instruments are useless too.

Anyway, back to Michael, he has an active website at http://www.michaeliceberg.com and wait until you see the design of the Iceberg Machine now.

Hi Ho!

:animwink:

mrtoad

Original Poster
Excellent, thanks for posting that link. I am going to send to my father he was way into it back then.

Thanks again!

AboveAverageJoe

I really enjoyed Michael Iceberg's show at WDW. I am amazed of what he is able to do with synthesizers. I have an album from him called Iceberg Does It Live. It was recorded at Walt Disney World sometime in the early 80s. It's such a wonderful album. Some of the songs he does on it include, It's A Small World, Main Street Electrical Parade, and ends with the end song to the Mickey Mouse Club. My band director from Jr. High (1980s) had this album and I taped it from him. Then a few years ago, I inquired in an email (address found on his web site) on how to get the Iceberg Does It Live album. Before too long, I had a copy of my own. It would be cool if he can come back and perform for a season at the Magic Kingdom.

mrtoad

Original Poster
Do any of you know why he stopped and when? I had a large gap in my trips to WDW from the early 80s to the early 90s. When I started going again in the 90s he was gone.

DisneyJill

My dad was just telling me about this the other day!! He could barely remember, but he knew bits and pieces. He saw it at what is now Cosmic Ray's in like, 73? That's weird that someone would bring that up...:lol:

mrtoad

Original Poster
DisneyJill,

It was a lot of fun. My parents loved it. When they thought we were old enough to roam free on our own they would watch several shows a day. The place would be so packed you would watch for someone who looked like they were finishing and ask them if you could have the table when they were done. Though we did go in August and the only game in town was the Magic Kingdom back then.

Was a lot of fun.

Mike

mrtoad

Original Poster
Originally posted by AboveAverageJoe
I really enjoyed Michael Iceberg's show at WDW. I am amazed of what he is able to do with synthesizers. I have an album from him called Iceberg Does It Live. It was recorded at Walt Disney World sometime in the early 80s. It's such a wonderful album. Some of the songs he does on it include, It's A Small World, Main Street Electrical Parade, and ends with the end song to the Mickey Mouse Club. My band director from Jr. High (1980s) had this album and I taped it from him. Then a few years ago, I inquired in an email (address found on his web site) on how to get the Iceberg Does It Live album. Before too long, I had a copy of my own. It would be cool if he can come back and perform for a season at the Magic Kingdom.

I just sent him a message to see about getting a copy. Very, very cool.

Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom