MGM - Movie Ride

DisneyMusician2

When you say that the liscencing agreements are ending, does that mean that Disney can't renew its rights to MGM movies? That would be very odd.

Imaginationeer

You may not believe this but this is the eight time this year that i have heard this. However, the other seven times i heard Stitch was going to replace Alien and believe it or not Pirates was going to replace the Wizard of Oz and a CM dressed as Jack Sparrow would steal your "ship". The result would be no more show scene in the Western Area.

jared400

i think they could make a good pirates of the carribean scene in gmr but not by replacing alien its one of the best scenes. but i think they could replace tarzan with a potc scene mabye jack fighting a skeleton for treasure

Kalikala

I would really like to see the GMR updated. I don't think Pirates would be a good choice, since as many have said, we already have a whole ride for that. Wouldn't it be great if more of the scenes were up to the level of the Wizard of Oz scene, though? I actually feel like a part of the movie in that one, because the events are unfolding around you.

Although the alien scene is cool, it still freaks me out a little, so I can only imagine how scary it must be to a kid. I'm not saying take out anything that isn't kid friendly and replace it with the Wiggles (oh, the terror!), but I think something could be done to make this ride appeal to a wider audience. I'm a big movie nerd, so I love the classics at the beginning, but other than Wizard of Oz, how many of the scenes is your average kid under 12 going to recognize?

A Star Wars scene would be awesome, but probably hard to do. And, of course, we already have a ride for *that*, too. I hate to say it, after all the crazy rumors lately, but a Harry Potter or LOTR scene would fit in nicely. I would love to see a Charlie and the Chocolate factory scene (the classic, not the Depp.)

iheartdisney91

well i have to admit that this is a cool idea but do they really have to take something out? and magic kingdom just got pirates my be they should add harry potter instead? i dont know....:veryconfu if they do this the whole harry potter questioning will be over

young9222

Gmr

Gut the whole thing, replace all the scenes...

Goldfinger (laser table, "I expect you to die!")
Empire Strikes Back ("I am your father". big wind machine, Boba Fett in the shadows)
Charlie Chaplin/Buster Keaton
Gone With the Wind
Aliens or Poltergeist
The Godfather
Rocky (Rocky vs. Apollo Creed, great animatronics)
Close Encounters (landing strip, UFO "conversation")
Classic Disney animated film clip room, lots of screens at various angles
Titanic (love scene at bow of the ship, have sea scent)
Get rid of Gangster alley and Western shootout
Stop CM interaction with passengers and scenes, just do the tour spiel
Replace Tarzan with some other old movie serial (ie. Flash Gordon, The Shadow)
Superman (Christopher Reeves)
Some big epic (Dr. Zhivago, Laurence of Arabia, Gladiator)
Get rid of non-classic, Touchstone movies from the film at the end (Sister Act, Good Morning Vietnam,...):wave:

DisneyDragon

Gut the whole thing, replace all the scenes...

Goldfinger (laser table, "I expect you to die!")
Empire Strikes Back ("I am your father". big wind machine, Boba Fett in the shadows)
Charlie Chaplin/Buster Keaton
Gone With the Wind
Aliens or Poltergeist
The Godfather
Rocky (Rocky vs. Apollo Creed, great animatronics)
Close Encounters (landing strip, UFO "conversation")
Classic Disney animated film clip room, lots of screens at various angles
Titanic (love scene at bow of the ship, have sea scent)
Get rid of Gangster alley and Western shootout
Stop CM interaction with passengers and scenes, just do the tour spiel
Replace Tarzan with some other old movie serial (ie. Flash Gordon, The Shadow)
Superman (Christopher Reeves)
Some big epic (Dr. Zhivago, Laurence of Arabia, Gladiator)
Get rid of non-classic, Touchstone movies from the film at the end (Sister Act, Good Morning Vietnam,...):wave:

Good to see someone thinking.

A couple of points:
1) Is this the order that you would utilize? Seems a little chaotic if so. If it is, did you choose order based on ability to block within existing structures?
2) Are all of these licences available to Disney?

Good thoughts, though...

Slipknot

SteveSastre said:
I'm really just bothered by the whole MGM-plugging-their-DVD's vibe that the ride gives off.

Since when are Footlight Parade (Warner Bros.) Mary Poppins (Disney), The Public Enemy (Warner Bros.), The Searchers (Warner Bros. again), Alien (20th Century Fox), Raiders of The Lost Ark (Paramount), Casablanca (WB.. yet again) all MGM movies???

young9222

Gmr

The movies I listed are only recommendations, in no particular order, and I'm sure we could all come up with a multitude of other movies to select from. I like the idea that GMR tries to give a taste of each genre of movie and would want to replace the old scenes with new movies in the same genre. I do think gutting/replacing the scenes would reignite interest in the ride...look what adding a couple Jack Sparrows did to the line in POTC, a relatively minor face lift with impressive results. You would not be able to do Universal properties for obvious reasons, but as another poster pointed out, most other studios are represented in the ride already. Bond is MGM (or was, Sony owns those rights now). I do not think you would have to alter the track in the ride at all, new scenes should be able to be incororated into the existing footprint quite easily. I do think scenes should be selected that are recognizable to most riders of all ages ("Footlight Parade"...I have never heard of the movie, and I'm sure most children have no idea what this is). Thanks for the feedback!

Victor

If Disney really had it their way and wanted to increase their revenue, they'd turn it into 'The Great Disney Channel TV Movie and Pre-Teen Sitcom Ride'. I shudder... :hurl:

JLW11Hi

Would changing the movie scenes around actually bring them a dime in returns? Would people actually care that all the movies were replaced with equivalent movies? Most of the ideas listed in young9222's post are movies that were already out when the ride was built. If they thought it was a bad idea to use them in the late 80's, then why would they suddenly use them now? (Beyond the MGM-sponsorship issues)

I personally think the whole "magic of the movies" theme is a little cliche. Universal does it much better, because they actually made these movies - Disney is just struggling for the rights and really pushing it with this theme. IMO, Disney Studios is at its best with Tower of Terror, Rock n' Rollercoaster, LMA, Muppetvision, and to some extent, Star Tours and the Indy show. I myself like pure attractions that celebrate the concept of Hollywood, rather than directly show movies that have been "celebrated" annually at the Oscars for decades. For that reason, the Great Movie Ride doesn't impress me - and yes, I have seen the movies in the ride, so the whole "you young people don't appreciate Tinsel Town" argument really won't work.

I don't by any means think that GMR should be replaced with a roller coaster or anything, but these ideas of changes to it are meaningless - they would bring zero profit, and no regular guest would really notice. Basically, either leave it as-is (People like long air-conditioned rides), or totally redo it. I'm really just bothered by the whole MGM-plugging-their-DVD's vibe that the ride gives off.

I do agree with yanking the 80's and 90's movies from the film scene - I chuckled a lot when I saw that last time. Updating parts like that is cool, but for the most part, the concept of the attraction itself should be timeless, assuming these were the best movies ever when it opened in the first place.

Good call on how it would be pointless to simply change the scenes into different movies. I actually like the "tribute to Hollywood" theme of the attraction, I'm not sure if there would be a better theme for the park's "centerpiece" attraction.

But yeah, to simply change the scenes would be pointless. The attraction is already full of what will always be considered "classics" for generations to come, making it timeless. Mary Poppins, Singin' in the Rain, the Western stars, Cagney, Indiana Jones, Casablanca, Fantasia, and the Wizard of Oz (which, to this day, is still the perfect final scene for that attraction) are all timeless. I do think that the Alien, Tarzan, and Footlight Parade scenes could be changed to more relevant films. Not saying any of them are bad, but I just think there are more popular films that would be better at representing their genres.

If they are going to change this attraction, Disney had better have something much bigger up their sleves than just the same ride with new movies. I can see them updating a few of the scenes they have now that I suggested, but not changing the whole attraction. So if they do put a new attraction in the GMR's place, I would hope it would be something very ambitious, and I pray that it not be a "just Disney" film extravaganza.

Slipknot

JLW11Hi said:
If they are going to change this attraction, Disney had better have something much bigger up their sleves than just the same ride with new movies. I can see them updating a few of the scenes they have now that I suggested, but not changing the whole attraction. So if they do put a new attraction in the GMR's place, I would hope it would be something very ambitious, and I pray that it not be a "just Disney" film extravaganza.

Trust me. If Disney isn't shelling out the money to replace or update the vehicles used at GMR (believe me they need some help big time), then a new attraction won't happen any time soon. It would have to be ambitious, though. The building is a lot bigger than the former Millionaire building. So something BIG would have to replace it.

Greenlawler

If Disney really had it their way and wanted to increase their revenue, they'd turn it into 'The Great Disney Channel TV Movie and Pre-Teen Sitcom Ride'. I shudder... :hurl:

Hey Victor how about the great character greeting ride! More characters less rides, and food!.

bartman454

I havent read all the posts but one thing I can tell everybody for sure is Alien isnt going anywhere. As for the ride losing the rights to MGM movies, the rights for the ride were part of a separate deal and wont affect the ride. The reason the ride doesnt have all Disney movies is because at the time Disney wanted to represent all types of movies not just Disney. I honestly wouldnt expect for the attraction to be removed anytime soon as it's still a very high capacity and any refurb would require a major change to the building (the largest in the park I believe) As for the quality of tour guides and gangsters, it definitely depends on who you get.

Maleficent98

Great Ride

The GMR is definately one of my favorites. We need to remember that when Disney MGM Studios opened it was a flash back to the golden age of Hollywood. My favorite scene is Munchkinland and I love the Wicked Witch come out from no where! I agree with maybe removing Tarzan and add something like 20k. The alien scene is not abd at all and should be kept. The CM/CP interaction is great for the most part and I like that they are a part of the ride.

:sohappy:

Brian_B

Sorry, didn't realize you loved the crappy host so much.

Yo, some of those crappy hosts are active members of this board (me, for example), and don't take kindly to being referred to as such. We bust our behinds for the ride, so if you're going to pose as a disney fan at least try to do it convincingly by giving respect where it's due.

By the way, it's "tour guide", not "host".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom