MGM had fireworks?

steviej

Original Poster
I was listening to Sorcerer Radio on the way to work today and a song they were playing said it was the hollywood studios fireworks. The only fireworks I'm familiar with is the ones included in Fantasmic and what they were playing certainly wasn't from Fantasmic. Did the park have fireworks back in the day or something?

stichrules

Yes, MGM had fireworks and I agree, my wife and I thought they were the best. They disappeared soemwhere between 97 and 99. We went in June of 97 and they were there you sat on the ground in front of the chinese theatre. We went back in 99 and the fantasmic show had replaced it and we were highly disappointed. We liked the fireworks at MGM even better than MK's.

Rob562

Sorcery co-existed with Fantasmic for a short time.

The problem, as Animanic mentioned, is that a decent chunk of the back of the park has to be closed as a pyro fallout zone. This includes all of where TSMM, HISTA playground and the Backlot Tour are. When the park first opened, this was a non-issue since all of the open areas were off-limits to Guests anyway, or they were easily-closed areas without any major attractions. (I remember the emergency exit doors from the soundstage viewing catwalks having firework fallout zone warning signs on them)

They have since removed the two towers behind the Chinese Theater where the inflatable Sorcerer Mickey was, as well as the center pyro launchers for the Over the Rainbow segment. The rooftop launching tubes have been removed from GMR show building and the One Man's Dream building complex, though they can still have tubes set up on the pads for special events.

-Rob

Texas84

70976-800_zps547740e2.jpg

The Empress Lilly

And the first incarnation of SitS had narration by Vincent Price.
Man, I (could) love the Studios so very much. Just look at that! Awesome fireworks, that castle-like theater, movie music. There's real magic there! When and where the Studios gets it right it can rival the MK. :eek:

I prefer the fireworks over Fantasmic. All we have is an inferior copy, in a deplorable state, of a show that was designed for the Rivers of America to begin with.

Gah! Despressed now!

mrdisman

I was listening to Sorcerer Radio on the way to work today and a song they were playing said it was the hollywood studios fireworks. The only fireworks I'm familiar with is the ones included in Fantasmic and what they were playing certainly wasn't from Fantasmic. Did the park have fireworks back in the day or something?

Yes...and it was really cool..shame you missed it

Tinkerbella16

I know we all remember the past as the "best of times" sometime falsely, but Sheeze those were TRULY the days.
God all mighty, didn't PI have a New Year's Eve type celebration EVERY single night??

Wow.

I completely agree! and yes, Pleasure Island had a New Year's Eve celebration every single night with a countdown to midnight and all. It was for all ages! I am happy to have been able to experience that when I was younger. I miss those days!!!!

Disvillain63

WDW had fireworks everywhere back then...I was Sorcery in the Sky...hadn't thought about it in awhile...thanks for bringing back some fond memories:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom