MGM/Disney Studios Video Taping - Which rides/shows allow it

RU42

Original Poster
Greetings!

Thanks everyone for your help with part one of this discussion. And now, moving onto part 2. Here is a list of rides/shows at the Disney Studios.

Which, from this list, DOES NOT allow video taping?

Beauty and the Beast
Tower of Terror
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
Great Movie Ride
Playhouse Disney
Animation Tour
Little Mermaid
One Man's Dream
Millionaire
Backlot Tour
Motor Stunt Show
Honey, Shrunk Kids Movie Set
MuppetVision 3D
Streets of America
Star Tours
Indiana Jones
Sounds Dangerous

Again, thank you everyone for your help!

RU

schro513

To my knowledge Millionaire was the only one that prohibited (although I haven't been to LMA yet). I think at Mermaid you could tape just not use any lighting.

NTI2002

I think the rule of thumb for any theme park is if it's a film (which is copyrighted) you definately are not allowed to tape the film, if it goes upsidedown lol then I think it's just common sense to not put your $500- $1000 camera at risk.

LongballMG

There is ABSOLUTELY NO videotaping in the

Drawn to Animation Theater

and

the Walt Disney Theater featuring "One Man's Dream

RU42

Original Poster
Which, from this list, DOES NOT allow video taping? The results so far...

Beauty and the Beast
Tower of Terror
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster - no preshow, yes ride?
Great Movie Ride
Playhouse Disney
Animation Tour - no
Little Mermaid
One Man's Dream - no
Millionaire - no
Backlot Tour
Motor Stunt Show
Honey, Shrunk Kids Movie Set
MuppetVision 3D
Streets of America
Star Tours
Indiana Jones
Sounds Dangerous

Anyone else have more to add or variances with what has been listed so far?

RU

RonAnnArbor

Muppet Vision 3D is a movie and you are not allowed to photograph or video tape...Rockin Roller coaster is a fast, upside down and corkscrew coaster - good luck taping - most likely they will make you put your camera away if the ride ops see it. I could not find an official answer on that one through Disney's website. If you check disneyworld.com and go to each attraction, most of them indicate which ones you can photograph and which ones you can not, still camera or video camera.

nibblesandbits

I have to tell you, my fiance taped the preshow to RNRC on his phone and no one said a word to him. Matter of fact, we were standing right next to the CM, so he had to have known what we were doing. It's pretty hard to miss the guy who's holding his phone up and facing it at the screen. I don't know if it made a difference that is was on his phone, but the guy knew we were doing it.

rdour@techminds

OK, lets say that I was on the great movie ride with a digital camera. Could I use it without flash? I thought the reason for "no flash photography" was that the flash could be disturbing to other guests. When I was a kid, I always thought flash would mess up the anamatronics. The Simpsons do a good job teasing this misconception. But if the real reason is copyright, it would be nice to get a copyright release for personal use. People like taking pictures, cameras are getting smaller. Soon, they'll make you leave your cell phone with a greeter outside the ride, or something similar. Phones and cameras are becoming so common together. The camera phones out there now have up to 2 megapixel resolution. It isn't long til the 5 or 6 megapixel cameras are out there. Low light noise reduction is on its way, so flash won't be as necessary.

So what are they going to do about it?

Ryan

ICP06

rdour@techminds said:
OK, lets say that I was on the great movie ride with a digital camera. Could I use it without flash?

To the best of my knowledge, the rule for this sort of attraction is "No flash photography or video camera lighting of any kind".

So, that makes it ok if you turn the flash off and keep any lights (including Infra Red lighting) off.

For what it's worth, we've taken videos of the GMR anyway, so...

As far as I know.
ICP06

Coastercameron

About Rock N Roller Coaster. There is nothing in the ride signs or ride spiels prohibiting video recording. I personally taped a full point of view video in june. My camera was out and on the whole time we boarded, and no one said a thing. It is allowed.

RU42

Original Poster
Thanks CoasterCameron for your experience.

Rdour - If an announcement is made "no flash photography or video lighting" then Disney's concern is about ruining the experince for others. You are allowed to take pictures and shoot video - just no lighting. (IR lighting is allowed but sometimes it is difficult for CMs to determine you are using a passive lighting rather then active lighting - they may come over the loadspeaker and ask you to stop.) If they say - "no photography or video recording" then both activities are 100% forbidden (though some people still do it.)

RU

nibblesandbits

imagineer boy said:
Technically we're not supposed to film any of the rides and shows at WDW, but we do it anyway. :lol:
Actually, Disney does allow it on certain rides. From their official website about IASW:

"it's a small world"

Take the legendary boat ride around the globe on this musical tour of nations. Hundreds of international dolls sing and dance to the famous "it's a small world" medley. After it's over, just try to get that tune out of your head.

Additional Information

Flash photography and videotaping are allowed.

Guests with young children may take turns experiencing attractions. See a Cast Member for additional information.

Handheld captioning devices that display text for portions of this attraction are available at Guest Relations.

MonoRon

nighttimewisher said:
i Know you are allowed on ToT as i have a the ride photo with my friend filming in it!:D :lol:

I tried to tape but they said I couldnt because of safety reasons. I really wanted to get ToT on tape too.

RonAnnArbor

I think you need to make a distinction between RIDE and ATTRACTION...in general, you are not supposed to video tape any coaster, spinner, or other ride where you are supposed to be holding onto your seatbelt or lapbar. Apparently, some of the cast members just turn a blind eye to this. Disney is very generous in this way. Most amusement parks do not allow you to take a camera or video camera onto any of the rides.

KevinFSU

RNRC used to have an announcement that there was no videotaping in the preshow. They don't make that announcement anymore. I "discreetly" tape in TOT. I usually just sit it in my lap and videotape my son. He screams his head off and its hilarious watching. I've also done that on RNRC and Splash Mountain.

tk421-sw

For me, it's gotten to the point where I know what I can handle with my $2,500 camera, and what I can't, thunder mountain: Fine, Splash: It was ok, (A little wet) but overall, I just go with the flow and if someone says something, I don't, but things like everest tommorw. Im all go for it. I'v ridden it 4 times and I feel fine about taking my camer on it, and I don't have a problem sticking my neck out for a good shot. I know if I can handle the camera, and when I can not. ..
http://www.videochump.com/reviews/images/Sony%20DCR-VX2100.jpg

Theres my camera, I can hold it well that I can get a good video, as well as control it, I did a thinder mountin video that came out awsome, it's on my site, and with my camera I can get the dark to ligh change ok, so things like EE change and don't stay whited out for 10 seconds after the tunnel exit. We shall see tommorw...:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom