MGM...A "Working Studio?"

Empress Room

Original Poster
When MGM first opened, it was billed as a "working" television and movie studio that filmed several t.v. shows (the original Star Search and The New Mickey Mouse Club, I believe).

With the closing of the animation component of the studios, is there anything left which is "working" or is it simply a theme park now? My guess is that no more filming is done on site (hence, no more need for the "wardrobe department," props and facades of Residential Street) which is why RS has also been demolished to make way for Moteurs....Stunt Show.

Anyone know for sure?

By the way, if no filming is done there anymore, do we know the reason? We know why animation closed, but how about live action?

DarkMeasures

I think they have a Radio Disney station there...

But the last two shows I remember being filmed at Disney MGM studios were Sheena Queen of the Jungle on Lifetime and some kids show.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
There has been quite a bit filmed at MGM. The original hope was that Florida would become a new Hollywood, and attract a lot of productions to the East coast.

It didnt happen, even with substantial discounts offered by MGM for facilities, largely because people simply did not want to relocate from the west to east coast.

Here is a list of some of the productions that have taken place..

The HBO series “From the Earth to the Moon”: A 13-part drama was in production in two soundstages throughout 1997.

Films shot at the studios include: “Marvin’s Room,” “Passenger 57,” “Oscar,” “Quick Change,” “Ernest Saves Christmas,” “Splash Too,” “Separate But Equal” (Emmy-winning TV mini-series) and “Instinct.”

TV shows taped at the studios include: “Sheena,” “Full House,” “Wheel of Fortune,” “World Championship Wrestling,” “ESPN College Football Awards,” “Talk Soup,” “Step By Step,” “Barbara Walters Special” and “Live! With Regis & Kathie Lee.”

swedishengineer

Don't forget

Here is a list of some of the productions that have taken place...

TV shows taped at the studios include: *Sheena,* *Full House,* *Wheel of Fortune,* *World Championship Wrestling,* *ESPN College Football Awards,* *Talk Soup,* *Step By Step,* *Barbara Walters Special* and *Live! With Regis & Kathie Lee.* [/B]

Thunder in Paradise...

Oh man, Hulkamania rules!!!

Finally, my first post!

TheDisneyGirl02

You can't forget the special tapings of the Mickey Mouse Club in Soundstage 2 in 1992 and 1993. 1992 was called MMC Rocks the Planet, and I'm not sure if the 1993 concert had a name...it was basically to introduce the songs from their CD.

TheDisneyGirl02

Always lovin' MMC :sohappy:

FigmentJedi

I know that they filmed Animal Jam, a kids show by Jim Henson Productions there. They also filmed Kermiit's Swamp Years there too.

CMTinkerBell

I remembering seeing a set built in the soundstages for what I think was Mortal Kombat TV series. There has also been "Belle's Sing Me A Story" that was shot there.
Sabrina did an episode at WDW too...Boy Meets World and maybe a Roseanne episode.

STGRhost

Not any more....

The Studio part of the park was never profitable enough to really work. Plans have been moving forward for a while now (Pre 9/11, at least) to change the park (and possibly the theme ittself :eek: ) to something more "Entertainment" and less "Working Studio". I'm not there anymore, so I know it's possible that the details have changed, but I know they're trying to get away from the "studio" image for the "Studios" as much as possible. ( sigh... So then what will CMs call it!? I mean besides "MGM":fork: :brick: )

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They won`t be calling it MGM soon - apparently the MGM contract was for 15 years from park opening.... and this is year 15!

Also, Honey I Shrunk, or Honey I blew Up had some scenes filmed in the backlot / storage buildings.

NowInc

Disney had the right idea..but at the wrong time.

FINALLY some studios are building lots over here...well.south florida at least. Paramount has one they are finishing up now, universal can support productions, and i heard that fox is looking at a chunk of land down here as well...the studios are realizing it IS cheaper to do things here. However, they willl all still be BASED in LA.

Pixie Duster

Don't get mad at us calling it the Studios. We don't want to use MGM because we don't want to emphaisize a different company. We had MGM help us out with using the name and other images because it helped with theming of old time hollywood. To me there is no problem in calling The Studios if it still resembles a working studio. Maybe we will stop making productions there for a while, but who's to say we won't come back to it later once the market is really there?

JLW11Hi

The MGM thing never made any sense to me, as tehy never even used much of the studio's library besides the Wizard of Oz in the Great Movie Ride. They might have used more of the studio's library around its opening (in fact, I think I have heard that Tom and Jerry used to make appearances there!), but you won't see much else from MGM there today.

STGRhost

Don't get mad at us calling it the Studios. We don't want to use MGM because we don't want to emphaisize a different company.

I'm not sure, but I assume this was directed at me? If so, I actually agree - I ~HATE~ when people call it "MGM", especially Cast Members, who should know better. While visiting last week, I hear it refered to as "MGM" THREE times, by three different CMs. (Two on the boats to/from Epcot). I live for the day that they no longer have MGM in the name, and people stop calling it that.

STGRhost

Don't get mad at us calling it the Studios. We don't want to use MGM because we don't want to emphaisize a different company.

I'm not sure, but I assume this was directed at me? If so, I actually agree - I ~HATE~ when people call it "MGM", especially Cast Members, who should know better. While visiting last week, I hear it refered to as "MGM" THREE times, by three different CMs. (Two on the boats to/from Epcot). I live for the day that they no longer have MGM in the name, and people stop calling it that.

Pixie Duster

The problem is it is a catch 22. When we call it The Studios some people, ok a lot of people, have no clue what we are talking about and then when we call it MGM other people get mad at us. So although I try to use The Studios it's hard to know which one is better.

imagineersrock

I've gone through this rant before..... but to pretty much sum up my opinion of it all; I think this is just another example of disney being lazy. The possibilities are endless when it comes to productions at the studios, and disney should just get their act together and start taking advantage of their resources whether it be tv, radio, or film.

I might be wrong, but I think disney might still be flirting with the idea of keeping this park a "working studios."

I agree, it may not seem like it at the moment.. but I think there's a good chance.. think about it, recently they've been filming several episodes of "millionaire" at our studios.. [it's a start]

..on top of this, we're currently in the process of gaining 2 more city-scapes [san fransisco and chicago] ...these would be more filming opportunities...

I just really hope the "working studios" concept stays alive for the time being, and if production in florida really picks up as some one stated it might earlier in this post.. well, in that case I hope the "working studios" concept thrives!

I have always been fascinated by the origional concept of the park, and hope it will continue to keep this theme going.

Kopp8699

Originally posted by JLW11Hi
in fact, I think I have heard that Tom and Jerry used to make appearances there

i remember tom n jerry lol........ but neways back on topic.... it has always been Disney MGM Studios n i dont think ill stop callin it mgm cuz its bin that way since i was little. Also i remember when it was infact a working studios and i think it should still b 1, it doesnt seem right 4 it 2 not b working

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom