Metrowest, what is the true story??

bogdig

Original Poster
Hi,

I am relocating to Orlando in the next couple of weeks... I have been online searching for both apartments and condos, with the thought that I would rent short term and purchase a condo in a few months. I have read and heard many different opinions of Metrowest. Some are very positive and others are negative. My main concern is safety for my wife and myself. Do you recommend Metrowest area?

Other developments I have been considering are Venetian Bay Villages and Villas at Seven Dwarfs Lane in Kissimmee, any thoughts are appreciated.

Jon

WDWScottieBoy

The Venetian Bay is a beautiful little area, but it's right off of 192.

MetroWest...everyone is moving away from there because of the crime. It's probably one of the worst areas of town now. I'd avoid the area. Prices are dropping there because of it.

The Emperiam at World Gateway (now Mirabella) is still apartments, but they will be going condo next year, and I believe you can buy now. It's right on International Drive South, next to the Gaylord Palms and a very quick ride to Disney.

Good luck on your move!

tiggergirl1818

Hi,

I'm not sure about other areas of orlando as I live in the UK but my parents own a place in a gated community on 192.

It's quiet, friendly, close to Disney (halfway between maingate and 27)

Shopping plaza at the front of the complex.

http://www.vistadellago.net

There is a sherrif and a fire chief living in the complex too so no crime!!

hope this is of some use
:)

MetroWest...everyone is moving away from there because of the crime. It's probably one of the worst areas of town now. I'd avoid the area. Prices are dropping there because of it.

Yes, the crime was bad, especially earlier this year, but i think it's getting a little better. I live there, so I know....

I have to disagree with the last sentance, however. Prices are not dropping, in fact just the opposite. When I renewed my lease last September at the Grand Reserve (which went condo in November & isn't selling well), my rent went up $110 per month to $845 for a 1/1 890 sq ft. Someone bought my unit so I have to move, but if they had another unit like mine available, I would be able to rent it for $920. I found a place close to my F/T job and am set to move late next month. It's a hike from my DTD job, but in the long run my weekly milage will be cut in half (and that includes my tolls!).

Somone commented on another thread that the housing costs are going up, but our wages sure aren't!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I lived in Metrowest all of 2005, and I grew up right next to it. The northern end of Metrowest on Hiawassee Road, and the parts directly on Kirkman Road are pretty bad. They border one of Orlando's more crime ridden areas called Pine Hills. The rest of it isn't bad at all. It is actually considered one of Orlando's more upscale neighborhoods, being in upper middle class Southwest Orlando and having a very close proximity to the town of Windermere and the Dr. Phillips neighborhood.

I'm not familiar with the other neighborhoods you speak about, but I know whenever I'm in Kissimmee, my doors are locked, and I try to stay there as little time as I can.

typhoonguy

Hi,

I am relocating to Orlando in the next couple of weeks... I have been online searching for both apartments and condos, with the thought that I would rent short term and purchase a condo in a few months. I have read and heard many different opinions of Metrowest. Some are very positive and others are negative. My main concern is safety for my wife and myself. Do you recommend Metrowest area?

Other developments I have been considering are Venetian Bay Villages and Villas at Seven Dwarfs Lane in Kissimmee, any thoughts are appreciated.

Jon
Seven Dwarfs Lane is next to Sam's Club on 192 in Kissimmee. Very touristy, but should be fairly safe.

My apartment complex recently went condo, but they're having trouble selling them and are still renting for (i imagine) some time to come. It's called Mirabella (aka Empirian at World Gateway). They're VERY close to Disney, next to the Gaylord palms. They are pricey though, but so is everything else in Orlando. A 2 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage will set you back 1200 a month and up, depending on your 'view'. To purchase the same unit is just under $300,000. Don't recommend buying, but it's a great place to rent, especially since all the 'sprucing up' they've done lately.

I also recommend that if you have access to the Cast Portal, or have any friends that do, that you check out the classifieds. I've found LOTS of houses, apartments and condos under 1300 a month in areas such as Celebration, Windimere, Hunter's Creek and Lake Buena Vista. Just yesterday I contacted someone about a 3 bed/2 bath private pool home in Hunter's Creek near the loop for 1300 a month!

rainfully

Seven Dwarfs Lane is next to Sam's Club on 192 in Kissimmee. Very touristy, but should be fairly safe.

My apartment complex recently went condo, but they're having trouble selling them and are still renting for (i imagine) some time to come. It's called Mirabella (aka Empirian at World Gateway). They're VERY close to Disney, next to the Gaylord palms. They are pricey though, but so is everything else in Orlando. A 2 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage will set you back 1200 a month and up, depending on your 'view'. To purchase the same unit is just under $300,000. Don't recommend buying, but it's a great place to rent, especially since all the 'sprucing up' they've done lately.

I also recommend that if you have access to the Cast Portal, or have any friends that do, that you check out the classifieds. I've found LOTS of houses, apartments and condos under 1300 a month in areas such as Celebration, Windimere, Hunter's Creek and Lake Buena Vista. Just yesterday I contacted someone about a 3 bed/2 bath private pool home in Hunter's Creek near the loop for 1300 a month!

We live REALLY close :lol:

typhoonguy

They have LOTS of tenants there *lack of parking when I'm over there rant*
Yeah, that's a big reason as to why I picked Empirian; attached garages. And I like the big open living room I have. But Camden has a great pool, nice tennis courts, ect ect. I used to live at the Alexan on 192 and it was just as nice, if not better... I miss it :(

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Yeah, that's a big reason as to why I picked Empirian; attached garages. And I like the big open living room I have. But Camden has a great pool, nice tennis courts, ect ect. I used to live at the Alexan on 192 and it was just as nice, if not better... I miss it :(
I got sick of dealing with apartments in Orlando, so I bought a house. Now I deal with neighborhood associations... and they're a tick less evil than management companies. A minimal tick. Maybe a flea.

BetaOp9

I'm a current resident at Empirian @ World Gateway and I am currently buying one of the condo's there. They are offering really good deals for current residents, as well as outside buyers.

Last I saw, they were offering outside buyers $1k/mo for the first two years [paid on the first of every month] towards your mortgage and NO HOA fee's for the first two years. As well as $3k towards closing costs. I'd call them [407.397.2060] to double check and see what they have left and how long the deal is for. I know the resident incentives ended yesterday. You may be offered better deals or worse deals.

I am waiting for closing on a 3 Bedroom 2 bath with a double wide attached garage, which should be sometime in Nov.

Any questions, feel free to ask. If you want you can say I refered you, but I don't know what it will do for me or you hehe. My name is Shawn Graves and am purchasing 16-207. *Shrug*

typhoonguy

I'm a current resident at Empirian @ World Gateway and I am currently buying one of the condo's there. They are offering really good deals for current residents, as well as outside buyers.

Last I saw, they were offering outside buyers $1k/mo for the first two years [paid on the first of every month] towards your mortgage and NO HOA fee's for the first two years. As well as $3k towards closing costs. I'd call them [407.397.2060] to double check and see what they have left and how long the deal is for. I know the resident incentives ended yesterday. You may be offered better deals or worse deals.

I am waiting for closing on a 3 Bedroom 2 bath with a double wide attached garage, which should be sometime in Nov.

Any questions, feel free to ask. If you want you can say I refered you, but I don't know what it will do for me or you hehe. My name is Shawn Graves and am purchasing 16-207. *Shrug*
You're purchasing?!?!?!? They wanted 300,000 for our 2/2 with 2 car garage! I was just saying to myself "there's no way ANYONE would fall for the '1000 dollars a month for two years'... Why did you decide to buy? We're looking at a 4/2 house in Windemere for 280,000. Don't get me wrong, I like emperian, but no tennis courts, the new maintinence staff is less than stellar, no hot tub, 1 tiny pool, and so on and so forth.

I'm not sure how 300,000 for an apartment conversion = a good deal. I would STRONGLY encourage you to check elsewhere before you close. Just 3 miles up the road on Osceola Parkway are townhouses, specifically built as townhouses, selling 3/2s for 250-ish. 'Mirabella' has sold very few units, and there's good reason why. When you can live in celebration for less, there's definately something wrong.

BetaOp9

You're purchasing?!?!?!? They wanted 300,000 for our 2/2 with 2 car garage! I was just saying to myself "there's no way ANYONE would fall for the '1000 dollars a month for two years'... Why did you decide to buy? We're looking at a 4/2 house in Windemere for 280,000. Don't get me wrong, I like emperian, but no tennis courts, the new maintinence staff is less than stellar, no hot tub, 1 tiny pool, and so on and so forth.

I'm not sure how 300,000 for an apartment conversion = a good deal. I would STRONGLY encourage you to check elsewhere before you close. Just 3 miles up the road on Osceola Parkway are townhouses, specifically built as townhouses, selling 3/2s for 250-ish. 'Mirabella' has sold very few units, and there's good reason why. When you can live in celebration for less, there's definately something wrong.

This is my first time buying, as well as the guy purchasing with me. I agree that it is high, but our original plan was to resell near the end of the two years...the incentives makes it affordable obviously during that time, but I was banking on the location and good overall quality to increase it's value some, at worst case hold it's value. We would rent the 3rd room to our current roomate, droping our montly payments in half for the two of us to cover.

The additional incentives you get as a resident help a lot too, no closing costs and the 1k/mo...hmm. I have a little over a week till my 15 days are up. Anymore info, as well as your thoughts would be welcomed.

I understood the purpose of the incentives, as it is very obvious. Hmm, lots to think about now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom