Merchandise Job?

Andrew015

Original Poster
Hello everyone! I just received my acceptance letter today from the WDWCP!!! The area which I will be working in is Merchandise. I am just curious as to anyone's past experience in this area, and what they thought of it.

I can't wait to get down there!!!

Thanks in advance for the info.

egionet

First of all congratulations, I had my interview yesterday. I can't wait to hear back. I have not personally done the CP before, but my best friend had merchandise one summer and QSFB another summer. For merchandise, she worked at Oscar's at the Studios. It is the wheelchair and stroller rental place. She loved the job more than anything in the world. After she graduated this past May, she wanted to move to Disney and work at Oscar's for the rest of her life. She did not feel the same way about her GSFB job, which was the ice cream and bake shop on Main Street. So I think that merchandise will be just fine for you. I hope you will have as great of an experience as she did. I also hope to see you down there!

TURKEY

I did QSFB at Liberty Inn in Epcot. It wasn't the greatest job in the world. Much like any fast food restaurant except busier.

I did enjoy it though and if anyone is selected for that but it wasn't a top choice, I recommend still doing it if you love WDW and want to work there.

As far as merchandise, I shadowed next door, but never had the opportunity to train/work there. I would have loved to, but I was too valuable with what I was doing.

I think you'll enjoy it and it should be a great time.

Andrew015

Original Poster
Merchandise

What is the most likely spot to be put in as a Merchandise CPer? I know that it could be in any of the 4 parks, resorts, or DTD, but I was just wondering if they tend to put us in one park over the other.... that kind of thing.

Thanks in advance!:wave:

TURKEY

Did you mention a park where you would like to work during your interview?

MouseGear and The Emporium are two of the larger places and have several CPs. World of Disney I think has a bunch too.

TURKEY

Originally posted by Andrew015
I didn't mention that in the interview.... I thought most of that was determined upon arrival

Most of it is...recruiters will make a note of it. If possible, they will try to get you in. As far as getting into a park, it isn't that hard, just a specific place in that park.

TURKEY

Would it be worth my while to contact my interviewer to see if I can get into a place that I'd like?

I don't think so. Since you've already received your letter, it's probally gone to the merch people already and is past your recruiter, so it probally won't help.

ZoesMom

Not bad at ALL!

My college summer @ WDW was spent rotating between Guest Services and Merchandise.

Really, all positions can be Guest Services if you want them to be -- you have the power to make someone's trip *magical*, so since you're already excited, I know you'll be great at it!!!

xfkirsten

Yup!! I did my first CP in merchandise!! I worked in Adventureland/Pirates/Glow merch. I loved some of it, hated some of it. :) Glow was awesome! It can be a bit more stressful, because it is selling out of an apron and you're responsible for the merchandise on your cart, but at the same time you get to be out in the park seeing the parades and shows and fireworks. Adventureland I liked - the whole area was kind of laid back. Actually, someone called us lazy once and we had to correct them. :p

I was not a fan of working in Pirates. It was too stressful, and I think a lot of the crankiness from guests that I seemed to get stemmed from the fact that their kids push them into buying something because they saw it exiting the attraction, when their parents really didn't want to be buying anything. But that's just my opinion. Some people really liked working Pirates.

But a word of advice, do be careful about keeping track of any transaction records that you need to keep, like returns, refunds, etc. And do your cash handling carefully. Because Disney can and will go after people, and I've seen big (and even sometimes little ones, although a lot less commonly) mistakes by co-workers turn into "interviews" with loss prevention.

-Kirsten

cm1988

From what I've seen...

...merchandise host/hostesses are likely to work both outdoor and indoor locations over the course of a program. If you're at DAK, most locations are outdoors; in the other parks it's more like 75/25 indoor vs outdoor. Once you've completed training, you'll probably experience a variety of locations.

You'll have a lot of guest contact. As a WDWCP member working in the parks, your shift is likely to begin midday or early afternoon and extend late into the evening. Up to about 3:00 the pace is generally a bit slower and you can have some great 'magic moments' and 'take 5's' with guests... After that, there isn't so much chatting as people are generally in a kind of transition... deciding how much energy they have and what they want to do for dinner and the evening. Some of the younger set may be getting tired and need a little cheering up.

As the parks close, merchandise locations are so busy, lines form and guests are likely to be focused on reaching the front of that line, making a quick purchase, and heading on out. So you learn to 'ring' fast.

Then all the busyness passes, and the last few guests depart your location as you do your final restocking and count your cash drawer or apron. About then, you'll hear about a party here, or a group going there... You'll find yourself doing what your guests were doing back at 3:00... deciding how much energy you have left for the evening.

xfkirsten

Is it possible that a merchandise role for a CPer will be in one of the resorts??

Possible, yes. It does happen. But the vast majority of Merch CPs will be in a theme park or at Downtown Disney.

-Kirsten

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom