Memory Maker with multiple groups

huwbart

Original Poster
I've tried searching and have read through the various topics but am still a little unsure about the memory maker package and how it works with multiple groups.

We have a faimly holiday to WDW booked for next year, all of my family is going but in two seperate groups. My group is arriving 4 days after mys sisters group. I have already created the My Magic account for everyone in my group and connected it to my sisters group and I will be booking fast passes for my group her for hers.

I want to purchase the memory maker package in advance and want control of the account as I'm paying for it but if my sister is connected and starts getting photos before I arrive will her photos still be on the memory maker package so she doesn't need to purchase it as well?

Also from reading the info about it here do the ride photos only work for the main account holder (me) even if the ride photos are automatic with the magic bands for my sister?

thanks

dreamfinder

I would suggest reading this -> https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/memory-maker/reassign/ this -> https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/memory-maker/family-friends-photo-downloading/ and this -> https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/memory-maker/linking-attraction-photos/ As long as your other family members are part of your family and friends, and the permissions are set properly you can download/edit their photos. However, that would only apply to normal photos. On ride photos should only be autotagged to the person who currently has the entitlement assigned. So you would need to transfer the entitlement to someone in your sisters family, and then have then transfer it back to you later on. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to get the ride photos from the start of their trip. However if you don't want to do this, you should in theory be able to have them get a normal photopass card, and give you the number. You should then be able to link that card to your account, and according to the FAQ, they should be able to use that card to claim the pictures post ride.

DSMDGA

I called Disney and asked about a similar situation. My son has a Memory Maker linked to his account. My daughter and I arrive two days before my son and daughter-in-law for an October trip. All four of us are linked in Friends and Family.

I was told that if the Memory Maker had not been activated by having a photo taken, and if my daughter and I are linked to his account, our photos would show up on his Memory Maker account even for the two days we'll be there ahead of him. This would include our photos automatically taken on rides, linked by our Magic Bands. The Memory Maker is valid for 45 days once activated.

They then checked to see if his Memory Maker account had been activated. There were automatic ride photos on the account from a trip he had recently made. That had activated the account and begun the 45 day countdown, so it will expire before our October trip. If we want Memory Maker on our October trip, we'll have to buy it again.

FWIW, I have found Disney phone support to be very helpful, both with my Memory Maker questions and with solving a previous issue getting my daughter-in-law's account properly linked to all of our other accounts. The number I called was 407-939-4357.

Last edited:

FrostyNaples

I called Disney and asked about a similar situation. My son has a Memory Maker linked to his account. My daughter and I arrive two days before my son and daughter-in-law for an Ocotber trip. All four of us are linked in Friends and Family.

I was told that if the Memory Maker had not been activated by having a photo taken, and if my daughter and I are linked to his account, our photos would show up on his Memory Maker account even for the two days we'll be there ahead of him. This would include our photos automatically taken on rides, linked by our Magic Bands. The Memory Maker is valid for 45 days once activated.

They then checked to see if his Memory Maker account had been activated. There were automatic ride photos on the account from a trip he had recently made. That had activated the account and begun the 45 day countdown, so it will expire before our October trip. If we want Memory Maker on our October trip, we'll have to buy it again.

FWIW, I have found Disney phone support to be very helpful, both with my Memory Maker questions and with solving a previous issue getting my daughter-in-law's account properly linked to all of our other accounts. The number I called was 407-939-4357.

It would seem being linked via Friends & Family, all photo's will be available one way or another.

I think the take away key is when in fact Memory Maker begins. Does it start when the 'assigned party' (the person memory maker is assigned to in MDE) has their first picture taken (magic band scanned)?

I have a similar situation coming up this fall, two Disney trips 38 days apart, the only two ppl being the same for both trips being my wife and I. Other than that, trip one has different family members than trip two.

So what i did to hopefully not confuse the two memory makers (separately pre-purchased), is I've assigned the first trip to my wife, and the second trip to one of the other family members only going on that trip.

Hopefully, when they scan my wife's MB on the first trip, MM+ will take into consideration only those linked via that trip, and then trip two when the other family members MB is scanned for a photo, it will then activate the second memory maker only at that time, and for those linked during that trip.

The FAQ links language is so convoluted, especially saying if you pre-purchase: "Your Memory Maker window starts once you capture your first photo—or if you purchased Memory Maker at the advance purchase price, the Memory Maker window begins 3 days following the date Memory Maker was purchased—and ends 30 days following your first photo download or when you otherwise redeem your Memory Maker purchase."

Seriously, WHAT?? :confused:

DSMDGA

I think the take away key is when in fact Memory Maker begins. Does it start when the 'assigned party' (the person memory maker is assigned to in MDE) has their first picture taken (magic band scanned)?

This was why I called for clarification. In my case, I spelled out the day of arrival for my daughter and me, and the day of arrival two days later for my son, who "owned" the Memory Maker. I was told that his Memory Maker would be activated the first time anyone linked to his Memory Maker through Friends & Family had a photo taken. Specifically, I was told that if my daughter and I had photos taken during those two days before he arrived, our photos would activate his Memory Maker. If we rode something that automatically took photos and linked them to his Memory Maker through our Magic Bands during those two days before he arrived, it would activate his 45 day Memory Maker period. I thought I had been told previously that memory Maker was activated when photos were downloaded, but I was told this morning that it is activated when the first photo is taken, not by the download date.
So in our case, it appears that it's all a moot point. I had them check to confirm that his Memory Maker had not been activated. His wife had surprised him with a weekend visit for his birthday a couple of weeks ago, and according to the Disney person I spoke with this morning, the on ride automatic photos taken that weekend activated his Memory Maker account. I was told that his account has been activated, even if he does not download those photos.

You might want to call and see if you're given the same answer. If you're told anything different, please let me know.

FrostyNaples

This was why I called for clarification. In my case, I spelled out the day of arrival for my daughter and me, and the day of arrival two days later for my son, who "owned" the Memory Maker. I was told that his Memory Maker would be activated the first time anyone linked to his Memory Maker through Friends & Family had a photo taken. Specifically, I was told that if my daughter and I had photos taken during those two days before he arrived, our photos would activate his Memory Maker. If we rode something that automatically took photos and linked them to his Memory Maker through our Magic Bands during those two days before he arrived, it would activate his 45 day Memory Maker period. I thought I had been told previously that memory Maker was activated when photos were downloaded, but I was told this morning that it is activated when the first photo is taken, not by the download date.
So in our case, it appears that it's all a moot point. I had them check to confirm that his Memory Maker had not been activated. His wife had surprised him with a weekend visit for his birthday a couple of weeks ago, and according to the Disney person I spoke with this morning, the on ride automatic photos taken that weekend activated his Memory Maker account. I was told that his account has been activated, even if he does not download those photos.

You might want to call and see if you're given the same answer. If you're told anything different, please let me know.

Funny, I was just awaiting this question to come up in the forums. I had called a month ago, the answer I got was a verbatim of the FAQ copy and paste from above I previously mentioned.

The CM had no clue, and I don't put too much stock into their knowledge when it comes to things like this. They are 0 for 3 on 3 phone calls I've made for other items. I dread ever having to call into them again.

I think they need to alter the actual 'activation' with it either tied to your resort stay, or something you can control and date within MDE.

It seems like this will just be a wait and see approach.

They better not activate both my MM's, it better be via scanned MB for the party its 'assigned' to. That makes logical sense to me anyways.:rolleyes:

Daxiegirl

if you purchased Memory Maker at the advance purchase price, the Memory Maker window begins 3 days following the date Memory Maker was purchased—and ends 30 days following your first photo download or when you otherwise redeem your Memory Maker purchase."

Seriously, WHAT?? :confused:

Ya, the window beginning 3 days following purchase statement gets to me too!
Say what?!

TheMouseFan

Ya, the window beginning 3 days following purchase statement gets to me too!
Say what?!
I think the three days refers to having to purchase it more than three days before your trip. If you buy it well ahead of time, you will not need to worry about the three days. If you purchase it on the first day of your trip, it won't be active until three days later. I think!!

Rob562

I think the three days refers to having to purchase it more than three days before your trip. If you buy it well ahead of time, you will not need to worry about the three days. If you purchase it on the first day of your trip, it won't be active until three days later. I think!!

Exactly. They're giving an incentive to buy it ahead of time. A lower price and the 3-day "waiting period". Thus they penalize you for buying it same-day at the discounted rate. (I think you can pay $50 more to get it activated for same-day)

-Rob

Daxiegirl

It really freaked me out when they sent the Photopass card by FedEx after I bought it yesterday. Guess that explains why the 3 day waiting period. Wonder why I have to have the actual card though I suppose I could let a family member that is with me use it at a ride location?
Doesn't it just automatically link to my account after purchase? Couldn't they have just saved some $$ and had it waiting for me at my resort along with my MB's? :confused:
No extra perks for Canadians (like the free movie downloads, memory sticks, etc.) but we will waste $$ and send you your photopass card. Are there photopass opportunities at the airport? LOL
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Last edited:

TheMouseFan

It really freaked me out when they sent the Photopass card by FedEx after I bought it yesterday. Guess that explains why the 3 day waiting period. Wonder why I have to have the actual card though I suppose I could let a family member that is with me use it at a ride location?
Doesn't it just automatically link to my account after purchase? Couldn't they have just saved some $$ and had it waiting for me at my resort along with my MB's? :confused:
No extra perks for Canadians (like the free movie downloads, memory sticks, etc.) but we will waste $$ and send you your photopass card. Are there photopass opportunities at the airport? LOL
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
You really shouldn't need a card. We never got one for our June trip and all of the photos and ride pics automatically were in our account with the MagicBand. Everyone that was linked to the account had all their pics automatically load to my account also using their MagicBands. I can't imagine why they would ship a card to you that way!!

dreamfinder

Exactly. They're giving an incentive to buy it ahead of time. A lower price and the 3-day "waiting period". Thus they penalize you for buying it same-day at the discounted rate. (I think you can pay $50 more to get it activated for same-day)

-Rob

It also eliminates a "pre-buy" post trip loophole. The old system used to allow for one to pre-buy the PhotoCD any time before the CD was actually ordered. So you could complete your trip, return home, and then decide to pre-buy the CD. Then it was changed to only include pictures taken after it was pre-purchased. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3 day window simply allows for different systems to sync up with each other. The online system is separate from the one in parks, and I believe they can take 24 hours to get in sync, so adding in a buffer and you are at the 3 day window.

By encouraging the prebuy they are hoping you do buy it. Waiting until after the trip, or while you are at the trip you are more likely to hem and haw and perhaps end up not buying it. So even if the per item profit is less, they are trying to make up for it on volume.

huwbart

Original Poster
thanks for the replies, hopefully it will work for both our groups so we only have to pay for one package.

DSMDGA

My son called and confirmed that the time period for his Memory Maker began when their Magic Bands triggered automatic photos on rides at the end of July. So I'll need to purchase another for our October trip.

I wanted to use two $50 gift cards (purchased at 5% discount at Target) toward the purchase, but the on line sytem only allowed the use of one gift card, with credit card for the balance. I spent some time on the phone this morning being passed through three departments, and it was confirmed by all that I can only use one gift card "per purchase". I was told that even if I went through a AAA travel agent, they could also only use one gift card on the purchase.

They are mailing me a Memory Maker card, which I'll have to link through MDE on line once I receive it, as someone stated above that they had to do. Seems like an unneccesary step, since they had my reservation package records open in front of them when they sold it to me.

Happy trips, and happy photos, to all who have participated in this thread!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom