Memory Maker Opinions

Hello everyone. I know I ask a lot of questions, I am very obsessive compulsive and like to PLAN PLAN PLAN... With that being said, Disney is seriously trying to pressure me into this Memory Maker plan. What is everyone's thoughts on this? It seems like a good idea at first glance, but then I think:

#1) that there must be lines for this (as a ton of people probably do it)
#2) I also wonder if there are a lot of "spots" for photos
#3) Lastly, I think it will most likely be more time consuming to have someone else take your photo than just taking your own photo?

The cost doesn't bother me, but the time & waiting would. Anyone have any experience with this?

dreamfinder

Hello everyone. I know I ask a lot of questions, I am very obsessive compulsive and like to PLAN PLAN PLAN... With that being said, Disney is seriously trying to pressure me into this Memory Maker plan. What is everyone's thoughts on this? It seems like a good idea at first glance, but then I think:

#1) that there must be lines for this (as a ton of people probably do it)
#2) I also wonder if there are a lot of "spots" for photos
#3) Lastly, I think it will most likely be more time consuming to have someone else take your photo than just taking your own photo?

The cost doesn't bother me, but the time & waiting would. Anyone have any experience with this?

It totally depends on your touring style. If you don't mind stopping a few times, then it can be worth it. If you do characters, then it can be worth it. If you have alot of group pictures missing one person (taking the picture) or only the heads at arms length (selfie) then it can be worth it. Unless you schlep a tripod with you I can pretty much guarantee that any night time shot you will take won't be properly exposed, especially if you are trying to get the cool lighting of castle in the background.

Check out the map on the Photopass site (you can view it at the bottom here -> https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/photo-pass-service/) and see all the places that may have photographers. Not all are going to be staffed at all times, and a bunch are characters, but you get the idea. Pretty much will have photographers taking pictures with any big icons (castle, tree of life, spaceship earth) the entire day the park is open. There may be a line of a few families, especially during heavy traffic times down these stretches, but there is usually another photographer 10-20 feet away with no line. Can't say I've waited for more than 5 minutes for a normal photopass picture. There are some exceptions, during Osborne lights (they don't take pictures during the shows every few minutes) and MNSSHP (everyone wants their picture with the horseless carriage).

Upvote 0

KLinder7

Got back a week or so ago after a 11 day trip, logged into memory maker and saw there was 650 photos. I felt it was worth the money me. Compared to last year feel like they have more photo cast members out and about too.

Upvote 0

lebeau

As always, mileage may vary. Someone said you are really paying for ride photos. If you are the type who buys a lot of ride photos, there's definitely some value there.

Disney photographers will take pictures for you on your camera if the idea is to get everyone in one picture. So I don't see a ton of value in that. Photopass/Memory Maker pictures are no better than the ones I take on my point and click camera. I often get pictures that are just as good or better on my phone. So don't expect professional quality pictures.

Someone mentioned candid shots. Yes, they do take them. I have never had one that I liked. But maybe my family just isn't as photogenic as others.

For us, most of our pictures are at character meets. But there won't always be a photographer at every meet and greet. I remember one year stopping at the Character Spot in Epcot and Mickey and Pluto had photographers but Minnie did not. You also won't find them at character meals. So you are likely going to rely on you camera to some extent anyway.

The last couple of trips, I have purchased Photopass/Memory Maker to supplement my own pictures. On each trip, there was at least one meet and greet interaction where my picture didn't turn out. However, if I hadn't been relying on Phototpass, I would have snapped extra pictures to be sure. So, you know, not a big deal wither way.

On the plus side, there's a bit of peace of mind that pictures are being taken. You can relax a little and enjoy the experience a bit more than if you are in full photographer mode yourself. On the other hand, that's a lot of money for pictures that usually aren't anything special. You can use that money in a lot of other ways.

The times I have paid for it, I have questioned whether or not I got my money's worth. The times I haven't, I have never regretted passing on it. I definitely don't consider it essential. But it can be nice. Especially if you strategize to take advantage of it.

Upvote 0
Little tip, although may not be a good idea to share haha!

But you can have disney photographers take your pictures, they will appear on your magic bands.. however disney does not watermark their photos. So you could easily screen shot the photo and have it printed! Depends though! I personally would save the extra if you can do it at home!

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Little tip, although may not be a good idea to share haha!

But you can have disney photographers take your pictures, they will appear on your magic bands.. however disney does not watermark their photos. So you could easily screen shot the photo and have it printed! Depends though! I personally would save the extra if you can do it at home!
I can't imagine that the resolution of a screen grab would be anywhere near what you'd get with the actual Memory Maker.

Upvote 0

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I can't imagine that the resolution of a screen grab would be anywhere near what you'd get with the actual Memory Maker.

I am with you, the resolution of a screen shot is terrible and on top of it the guests purchasing photographs are what pays the castmember photographers who most of the time take their jobs seriously and try hard to give you a memorable photo.

For anyone that doesn't want to pay for the MM+, take your own camera and ask if the photographers would be willing to take one with your camera too. You get a full-resolution shot of lesser quality but on the up and up.

Upvote 0

jjbrooks567

Quick question...if I purchase the MemoryMaker under my resort reservation can other family members have access to the pictures or would we have to purchase one for each room? Our reservations are all linked through My Disney Experience. Thanks in advance!
I was told when booking by the person I spoke to that you only needed one if everyone was going to be traveling together. I'm hoping that will work because I purchased memory maker for my room and we have 2 other rooms linked but they didn't get memory maker. We will be in Disney from 4/5-4/10 so I'm hoping just having the one will work.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom