Memory Maker...is it really worth it?

Mr Toad

Going to book my trip in a couple weeks. I saw Memory Maker as an add on option. But is it really worth the extra $150 +/-? Anyone ever had this option before?

Cristin

Amber S. I was informed by a CM that any dining that has photographers (ex. Cinderella's royal table, tusker house, chef mickey's) will now be charging extra for the pictures that are taken before you dine, UNLESS you have the memory maker package. So, if you are visiting any of these places it may very well be worth it to purchase the memory maker package. Plus, there are also special short videos that are included from some of the rides, such as 7 Dwarfs Mine train and tower of terror. But it really is an individual decision

Upvote 0

aceishere

My opinion is if you plan on using it, its worth it. When I went on a trip with my sister and parents, we intended to abuse it which we did. My sister and I were character hunting which turned into photographer hunting. The added benefit is not having to carry around a camera. Totally worth it if your intentions are character hunting or if you have multiple people so you can share it with.

Upvote 0

Sjb9792

Hi,
I am also looking to purchase a memory maker, but I was wondering if you all could help with some questions?
1) Is it worth the money?
2) Do you have to purchase magic bands separately? and how do we get them?
3) Just any information possible about it would be great and how it works thanks :)

Upvote 0

clarabellej

You can always do what I do. I agree with weather lady. Bring your own camera and take your own pics. I must drive the Disney photographers nuts. I obtain a photopass card. I let the Disney Photographer do their thing. I take photos with my camera while they are at it and then I even sometimes have them take a pic of me w/my daughter together w/my camera!!

Then, when you get home, you can look at the photopass photos. Does not cost anything in advance to do this.

From my experience the Disney pics are not that great. I have been known to purchase a few and that can add up quickly.

This way, at least you have the option and you have not forked over so much money in advance.

You might purchase a couple of pics for $30. That beats spending the $$ in advance.

As far as getting those "special" shots; be it night shots, or those added characters...they are good for those. My camera does not do good flash photos, especially not at night. Those are the few I might buy thru Disney.

Has anyone noticed some photographer discrimination???? I have started to get the feeling that they cater more to the folks who have purchased Memory Maker. I guess it makes sense and if it were me, I would appreciate it.

They used to be totally polite about taking pics with your own camera for you. If anyone cops an attitude, just let someone know about it. After all, getting into those parks is not free and it is a free country. So Memory Maker customer or not, we are entitled to fair treatment and good photos!! Not everyone can afford to get Memory Maker.

Upvote 0

clarabellej

Oh and BTW, there is probably a reason Disney states "non refundable." on these prepaid photo things. My pics by Disney photographers have definitely declined in quality over the years. I do not think all the photographers are as well trained as they used to be.

Upvote 0

Zipadeelady

I see that this thread is 2 years old so my question is has memory maker improved? I just booked a trip and added MM. No one in the family really likes getting their picture taken but since my kids are all older and two of them are bringing friends this trip I know that we won't be together 70% of the time so I have threatened them that they have to find photographers. Am I making a mistake. Someone tell me that the pictures have improved!!

Upvote 0

Kate Alan

I see that this thread is 2 years old so my question is has memory maker improved? I just booked a trip and added MM. No one in the family really likes getting their picture taken but since my kids are all older and two of them are bringing friends this trip I know that we won't be together 70% of the time so I have threatened them that they have to find photographers. Am I making a mistake. Someone tell me that the pictures have improved!!

I've used Memory Maker multiple times (most recently this December) and never had an issue with the quality of photos.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

I've never had a problem with the overall quality of Photopass pictures. Both at WDW and DLR going back pretty much since they started the service. Sure, every now and then you get a cruddy photographer who can't center your party worth beans, but it's the exception, not the rule. I always suggest to stop at multiple photographers anyways, even if its the same general picture (IE Main Street w/castle in background). Not only does this increase the odds of getting a great shot, but you never know what a given photographer will do. This last trip there was one in Fantasyland, who was taking pictures of nothing but shadows. So he would pose the party, and then take the picture of their shadow, which was interacting with a real thing. So he had me kneel down, and hold out my hands towards my wife, and he then put a rose on the ground where my hands were like I was giving her flowers. A really cool idea, I saw him do some other great shots with other parties as well.

Upvote 0

clarabellej

My most recent experience with Disney photographs has not been great.

I feel there is some discrimination against folks who have not bought MM.

I have had some really bad photos in my photopass photos when I have gone to look thru them. For the past couple of years, I have had no desire to purchase.

Do not know if this would have been different if I had purchased MM in advance. Maybe the photographer would have put a little more effort into the pics.

Seems like a lot of people are perfectly happy with their pics.

I prefer to take the majority on my own camera and then use Disney photographers for more difficult photos/night shots/in front of castle.

Upvote 0

Zipadeelady

I've used Memory Maker multiple times (most recently this December) and never had an issue with the quality of photos.
I've never had a problem with the overall quality of Photopass pictures. Both at WDW and DLR going back pretty much since they started the service. Sure, every now and then you get a cruddy photographer who can't center your party worth beans, but it's the exception, not the rule. I always suggest to stop at multiple photographers anyways, even if its the same general picture (IE Main Street w/castle in background). Not only does this increase the odds of getting a great shot, but you never know what a given photographer will do. This last trip there was one in Fantasyland, who was taking pictures of nothing but shadows. So he would pose the party, and then take the picture of their shadow, which was interacting with a real thing. So he had me kneel down, and hold out my hands towards my wife, and he then put a rose on the ground where my hands were like I was giving her flowers. A really cool idea, I saw him do some other great shots with other parties as well.
Thanks to both of you!

I couldn't imagine that the photographer would do any worse than my point and shoot but its good to hear that you both had good experiences. I know that us going in different directions means I'm going to miss some experiences that my kids have so i thought the MM would be a good purchase and now I'm glad that I did.

Upvote 0

Jahona

Do not know if this would have been different if I had purchased MM in advance. Maybe the photographer would have put a little more effort into the pics.

Honestly the photographer doesn't know if you have Magic Maker or not before hand. Every time I have used their service I don't hand them the card or tap the band until after the photo has been taken.

Upvote 0

MCV

I'm so nervous about purchasing the Magic Maker and then getting crappy photos. On the other hand, it'd be nice not to have to carry my DSLR everywhere. Wondering if the quality has gotten better over time??

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Honestly the photographer doesn't know if you have Magic Maker or not before hand. Every time I have used their service I don't hand them the card or tap the band until after the photo has been taken.
He can! We almost always tell our photographer that we have Memory Maker beforehand and many will spend extra time getting special shots. We've had a few take a dozen or so photos when they aren't too busy, we've even had some tell us to come back.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom