Memorial Weekend - Parks Closed due to Capacity

ImagineerDude

I was at the 24 hour thing this year and I honestly didn't think it was that bad. Wait times weren't ridiculous and we got a spot on Main Street at 3pm for FoF. Have any of you ever been to MK on Christmas Day?? You haven't seen busy until you've done that. And New Years Eve is supposedly worse, haven't been then.

Edit: We originally were supposed to leave Saturday of Memorial Day weekend and looked into stating another night. The only resorts with availability were Grand Flo, Caribbean Beach, and maybe Saratoga Springs? Anyway out of 20 some resorts only 3 had rooms left so yeah the resort in general was packed.

JasonDeyoung

I was at the 24 hour thing this year and I honestly didn't think it was that bad. Wait times weren't ridiculous and we got a spot on Main Street at 3pm for FoF. Have any of you ever been to MK on Christmas Day?? You haven't seen busy until you've done that. And New Years Eve is supposedly worse, haven't been then.
Done Xmas and nye and from my experience nye was the worst I've ever seen it at the parks. It was tramatising packed lol and yet I feel that's still an understatement haha

JIMINYCR

All I can say is thanks for all of the reports about how crazy insanely crowded the parks were so I will NEVER attempt to go during those time periods. I couldnt bear to save my money for a trip and then be unable to fully enjoy it.

JasonDeyoung

All I can say is thanks for all of the reports about how crazy insanely crowded the parks were so I will NEVER attempt to go during those time periods. I couldnt bear to save my money for a trip and then be unable to fully enjoy it.
Exactly. Only reason I went was because I'm an hour away so not a big deal. But if I was coming from far away or even out of state. I'd been pretty irritated lol

Tom P.

MK was closed to anyone arriving. When it reaches capacity doesn't matter where your staying.
Well, yes and no. As was mentioned upthread, Disney does capacity closings on a phased system. Those staying on property definitely do get preference and are the last ones to be denied access to the park. They'll stop letting off property guests in first, and then if it still hits capacity eventually they'll deny everyone.

Pluto15

Original Poster
MK reached 180k and they closed entry. Hollywood studios was the same
Well, yes and no. As was mentioned upthread, Disney does capacity closings on a phased system. Those staying on property definitely do get preference and are the last ones to be denied access to the park. They'll stop letting off property guests in first, and then if it still hits capacity eventually they'll deny everyone.

xstech25

Hollywood Studios did not close for capacity - it ran out of parking and people going there in the afternoon were directed to park at Epcot. Studios has not closed for capacity since winter break 2012.

MK had 80k not 180k. 180 has never happened and its totally impossible to have that many people fit in the park in one day. It used to be fairly common for MK to close for capacity, every 4th of July and Christmas/New Years week, but now it rarely if ever happens because New Fantasyland added a lot of capacity (hence why they added it). Its more likely for MK to run out of parking now and re-direct that to Epcot than it is for them to close the park for capacity.

Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party isn't done during peak Christmas week. Actually the park is operating for regular ticket guests from like 7am 2am every day that week.

Also it was also predicted to the busiest travel Memorial weekend ever in the USA, and on top of that it's also Star Wars weekends, so the parks being busier than a normal holiday weekend is to be expected.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom