Member won't add Dining Plan on rented points - help!

Lynne M

If the rental agreement does not say that the member must add the dining plan if requested, there's nothing that the company can do to help you.

The rental brokers have absolutely no access to the reservation, and cannot add anything to it, or make any changes. The member that made the reservation for you is the only person that DVC will allow to access the reservation. DVC Member Services does not make exceptions to this.

As to why the member won't do it, I can make a guess. When the member books the dining plan for you, they must pay for all of it at that time. That's hundreds of dollars, or more, that they're putting out, trusting that you'll pay them. When the dining plan is added at the time you make the room reservation, it's not a big deal, you're giving them the money right up front.

If your check-in date is getting close, the member may not want to take the chance that you won't pay. If I were the member, I'd be hesitant to do it unless I had the money in hand, or the renter's credit card number to use for payment, before I called Member Services and made the purchase. Some members get around this by doing a conference call with the renter and MS, and the renter gives MS their credit card number. Your member may not want to go to the trouble to arrange this. Yes, they can always cancel the dining plan if you don't pay, but if I remember correctly, the plan has to be cancelled a certain number of days before your arrival date. If it's getting close, the member may not feel that there's enough time to get your money before the cancellation deadline, and they may be afraid that they'll be left holding the bag.

And even if there are months to go before your trip, it really is the member's choice as to whether they want to do this or not.

Not that it would help you now, but for future rentals, it's really best to tell them at the time of the initial reservation that you want the dining plan. Even if you plan to add it later because you don't want to put the money out so far in advance of your trip, at least let the member know that you'll want to add it X number of months before your trip, so that payment concerns and any issues can be handled ahead of time.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If the rental agreement does not say that the member must add the dining plan if requested, there's nothing that the company can do to help you.

The rental brokers have absolutely no access to the reservation, and cannot add anything to it, or make any changes. The member that made the reservation for you is the only person that DVC will allow to access the reservation. DVC Member Services does not make exceptions to this.

As to why the member won't do it, I can make a guess. When the member books the dining plan for you, they must pay for all of it at that time. That's hundreds of dollars, or more, that they're putting out, trusting that you'll pay them. When the dining plan is added at the time you make the room reservation, it's not a big deal, you're giving them the money right up front.

If your check-in date is getting close, the member may not want to take the chance that you won't pay. If I were the member, I'd be hesitant to do it unless I had the money in hand, or the renter's credit card number to use for payment, before I called Member Services and made the purchase. Some members get around this by doing a conference call with the renter and MS, and the renter gives MS their credit card number. Your member may not want to go to the trouble to arrange this. Yes, they can always cancel the dining plan if you don't pay, but if I remember correctly, the plan has to be cancelled a certain number of days before your arrival date. If it's getting close, the member may not feel that there's enough time to get your money before the cancellation deadline, and they may be afraid that they'll be left holding the bag.

And even if there are months to go before your trip, it really is the member's choice as to whether they want to do this or not.

Not that it would help you now, but for future rentals, it's really best to tell them at the time of the initial reservation that you want the dining plan. Even if you plan to add it later because you don't want to put the money out so far in advance of your trip, at least let the member know that you'll want to add it X number of months before your trip, so that payment concerns and any issues can be handled ahead of time.
Good insight. That is a plausible reason the renter may not want to deal with adding DDP.

To the OP, you should probably reach out to the renter and find out why they don't want to do it. If this is the reason you could offer to either do the conference call thing or even send them a check for the total and then have them book it once the check clears. That takes a little faith on your part, but if you feel they are trustworthy it might get it done.

CStyles45

Original Poster
I can't contact the member directly, it is handled through the company. I wish it was as easy as both of us calling DVC at once, him "adding" the DDP and me reading off my CC info.

Alas, I've decided not to pursue it further and just pay out of pocket for all the meals. I know how much I was gonna pay for the DDP, time where tell how much I spend in comparison.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Rob562

Good insight. That is a plausible reason the renter may not want to deal with adding DDP.

To the OP, you should probably reach out to the renter and find out why they don't want to do it. If this is the reason you could offer to either do the conference call thing or even send them a check for the total and then have them book it once the check clears. That takes a little faith on your part, but if you feel they are trustworthy it might get it done.

An additional option if you're not comfortable giving your credit card number would be to get a Disney Gift Card in the amount required for the full price of adding the DDP (maybe slightly more) and giving them the numbers off the back of the card so they can give those to Member Services.

-Rob

DougK

I can't contact the member directly, it is handled through the company. I wish it was as easy as both of us calling DVC at once, him "adding" the DDP and me reading off my CC info.

Alas, I've decided not to pursue it further and just pay out of pocket for all the meals. I know how much I was gonna pay for the DDP, time where tell how much I spend in comparison.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

You will end up saving money by NOT using the DDP! For example, if you are full you will not order dessert, nor will you pay for it. And if you are in the mood for a salad rather than a steak, you will pay the salad price instead of the steak price. To see "savings" with the DDP you almost always have to get the most expensive entree and dessert. When just paying directly you will simply order what you want to order.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom