Meg Crofton Retiring in 2015

Goofyernmost

Just because Staggs gets the big say does not mean those below cannot fight for their areas of responsibility.
When you get paid what they get paid, you just say "Yes, sir... right away, sir!" You don't fight for anything, you follow orders. It is way to much of a cushy job to jeopardize by fighting them on directives. You work for Disney for 5 or so years, and retire with massive amounts of payouts and enough cash to last for the rest of your life. You don't mess with that. Whatever the upper floor wants they get.

Sage of Time

I too wonder who will replace Meg. I would think George K. would be a sure fit since he has such a diverse and long history starting at WDW.
I honestly doubt if the position would even be refilled. Multiple resorts with different types of ops don't need an overseer.

Marc Gil

Okay, just read the first few posts, but I'll keep on reading the thread.

Sorry if this was mentioned before in the previous posts, but THIS IS INDEED A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!!

So long farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, GOODBYE!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
While I didn't agree with many of her decisions, I wish her well. And she is moving to my favorite city. Union Square at Christmas is beautiful.

I have visions of See's dancing in my head.....and my Christmas order arrives tomorrow.

Progress.City

From another page

Meg Crofton, former Walt Disney Workd president and current president of Operations for parks & resorts in the U.S. and France has just announced her retirement in 2015:

After spending 35 years with Disney, Meg Crofton recently shared with her team that she has decided to retire on June 1 of next year. She has served as President, Operations, US and France since 2011, after serving as President of Walt Disney World Resort since 2006. She sat down with us at Chairman’s Corner to talk about her plans.

Why did you decide to retire?
Well, I never really had a plan for retirement. But I did, over the years, develop a couple of guiding principles. One of the most important was that I wanted to leave while I still had plenty of juice left for the next chapter in my life. I didn’t think about it very much until my 60th birthday, which was last year.

Looking back on it, I realize that it was a decision that I came to very gradually and almost not consciously. I loved what I was doing. I had just made a major move across country and was happily embracing my professional and personal growth opportunities and focusing on our parks and resorts in Florida, California and France. But my husband, Rich, has been retired for some time now, and I became increasingly aware that I really wanted to build our new west coast life with him in San Francisco.

I have so much respect and affection for those I am privileged to work with. As much as I will miss them and the many exciting projects ahead for our Company, the pull to start the next chapter of my life is stronger.

What do you want to do in retirement?
I want to continue my “heart” work of mentoring and helping others, enjoy lots of family time, take advantage of all that my new home city and surrounding countryside offers, do more traveling for pleasure and have a flexible calendar. And I am looking forward to doing all of that!

You have worked closely with your leader, Tom Staggs, for a number of years. Here is what he said:

Anyone who knows Meg knows how much she cares about this company and the dedication she has to anything she does. When she told me a while back about her decision to retire, it was clear that there was conviction in her decision. Her face lit up when she talked about how ready she was to start her next chapter with her husband, Rich. I couldn’t be any happier for her.

There are few people within Parks and Resorts who have inspired as many people and made as significant an impact as Meg has. She has devoted her career to nurturing countless cast members, encouraging them to achieve new heights, coaching them to succeed and helping them down the path, no matter where they wanted it to take them. She has amassed innumerable achievements over the years, literally spanning the globe. And for all that she has accomplished and all of whom she has helped, Meg has done it with an amazing sense of grace and humility, which is what I appreciate and respect the most about her.

Meg is not retiring until June 1, 2015, so we will be naming her successor at a later date. We have many more months to celebrate her and wish her well. I am thrilled that she will be working at Parks and Resorts until then.

Meg, any reaction?
I cannot thank Tom enough for his leadership, friendship, kindness, and unwavering support over the years. I am very excited to be a part of and continue working alongside this tremendous team for the months ahead. I intend to be fully present and enjoy every minute of it!

This is such an amazing company! With the passing of every year, I am more aware and grateful for the blessing of working for an organization whose purpose it is to bring happiness to people and give them cherished memories that last a lifetime. I collect wonderful quotes and found this one years ago…”Memory is a child walking along a sea shore. You can never tell what small pebble it will pick up and store away among its treasured things.” We are so fortunate that at Disney it is their memories with us that our Guests store among their treasured things.

I am deeply proud of every moment I have spent here and feel richly blessed to have had a ringside seat to watch our Company’s special brand of magic touch hearts. I am so excited and confident about the future of our company and the direction of Parks and Resorts. Candidly, it is that excitement that makes my decision to retire so bittersweet.
Thank God! I mean... Oh, really?! How sad...

The Visionary Soul

Does this mean that printed napkins are coming back?
The printed napkins haven't been right for decades. Back in the old days, if you were dining in the Liberty Tree Tavern, your napkin said Liberty Tree Tavern. Having "Walt Disney World" or "Disney Parks" or even "Magic Kingdom" on a napkin is just not correct. Each napkin should either be themed to the exact place that you are dining at, or it should say nothing at all.

Goofyernmost

The printed napkins haven't been right for decades. Back in the old days, if you were dining in the Liberty Tree Tavern, your napkin said Liberty Tree Tavern. Having "Walt Disney World" or "Disney Parks" or even "Magic Kingdom" on a napkin is just not correct. Each napkin should either be themed to the exact place that you are dining at, or it should say nothing at all.
As much as I hesitate to say it, it does have to do with money, but, not in the way you think. All those separately labeled items were stolen at a rate faster then the speed of light. It was like towels in a hotel with the name of the city on them. People picked up handfuls of them as souvenirs from every place that they went. They would sometimes have theme parties at home using the pilfered napkins for theme. Whether we like it or not, that is a costly venture for any company when you provide something for convenience and they walk out of by the case because it is a free souvenir.

Two things were accomplished by not labeling them. First, and most importantly it enabled them to use recycled materials to make them and it saved them, what was probably, tens of thousands of dollars in "shrinkage" and cost of production.

Once again, we can blame ourselves and our inability to see the big picture for us losing a lot of things that once seemed special. They are paper napkins. They are used to whip gunk off your face, mouth and hands. Why on earth does it matter one way or the other? Are there some people that have their degree of enjoyment directly connected with a name on the napkin? It's not even something that enhances anything, it makes nothing better, it has absolutely no emotional value unless stolen. It cannot even be said that "it's one of those little things that made Disney special" because they were not the only ones to do that. There was nothing special about it. If you attach anything special to that, one would have to wonder why the toilet paper doesn't have the name on it. Both provide basically the same service.

asianway

As much as I hesitate to say it, it does have to do with money, but, not in the way you think. All those separately labeled items were stolen at a rate faster then the speed of light. It was like towels in a hotel with the name of the city on them. People picked up handfuls of them as souvenirs from every place that they went. They would sometimes have theme parties at home using the pilfered napkins for theme. Whether we like it or not, that is a costly venture for any company when you provide something for convenience and they walk out of by the case because it is a free souvenir.

Two things were accomplished by not labeling them. First, and most importantly it enabled them to use recycled materials to make them and it saved them, what was probably, tens of thousands of dollars in "shrinkage" and cost of production.

Once again, we can blame ourselves and our inability to see the big picture for us losing a lot of things that once seemed special. They are paper napkins. They are used to whip gunk off your face, mouth and hands. Why on earth does it matter one way or the other? Are there some people that have their degree of enjoyment directly connected with a name on the napkin? It's not even something that enhances anything, it makes nothing better, it has absolutely no emotional value unless stolen. It cannot even be said that "it's one of those little things that made Disney special" because they were not the only ones to do that. There was nothing special about it. If you attach anything special to that, one would have to wonder why the toilet paper doesn't have the name on it. Both provide basically the same service.
The napkins have been made from recycled materials for years. As far back as the millennium for sure and maybe AK opening

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Personally, I would like Disney TP to less resemble sand paper....which is why I've started bringing my own Charmin. :D

JoeCamel

Personally, I would like Disney TP to less resemble sand paper....which is why I've started bringing my own Charmin. :D

I noticed about 3 years ago they were switching over to single ply and it spread through the park as they used up the two ply. Gotta use twice as much now!

Can I blame it on Meg?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom