MeFoto experiences

KeithVH

Original Poster
Last month, at the local camera store, I stumbled on the MeFoto tripod line (even though I was looking for a new bag<G>). I currently use a fairly heavy Bogen and thought this would make a good travel tripod.

I see that several of you have recommended MeFoto to others. But everyone seems to go for the Roadtrip version, not the BackPacker. If we take price out of the equation, and consider this is for travel shooting, does the Roadtrip features make up for the extra length and weight? Don't really care about the monopod function. So does the extra head control or the extra 10 inches in height really make a diff (as opposed to saving a pound and several folded inches)?

afb28

Personally, I have the MeFoto globetrotter but I use a Manfrotto 496RC2 Compact Ball Head.

Looking at the Backpacker, 51" max height is nothing. You generally want at least 60" for max height because once you mount the camera then it's a bit more eye level. Having to bend down for every shot would become quite annoying.

Also, the load capacity of 8lbs is really bad. You may not exceed that but you want something that can hold around 15lbs or higher just for proper stability.

I have also never used the monopod functionality, I cared most about height and load capacity when I was picking between them.

Last edited:

KeithVH

Original Poster
Good points. Will have to think about height. Load isn't too much a concern as I'm getting rid of all my big glass and large bodies and going mirrorless.

afb28

Good points. Will have to think about height. Load isn't too much a concern as I'm getting rid of all my big glass and large bodies and going mirrorless.
Even if you go mirrorless and have not as large lenses, the weight bearing also means it is much sturdier. Not saying they are flimsy by any means but something that supports 25lbs is going to more balanced and able to hold itself better than something that supports 8lbs.

Last edited:

thomas998

Last month, at the local camera store, I stumbled on the MeFoto tripod line (even though I was looking for a new bag<G>). I currently use a fairly heavy Bogen and thought this would make a good travel tripod.

I see that several of you have recommended MeFoto to others. But everyone seems to go for the Roadtrip version, not the BackPacker. If we take price out of the equation, and consider this is for travel shooting, does the Roadtrip features make up for the extra length and weight? Don't really care about the monopod function. So does the extra head control or the extra 10 inches in height really make a diff (as opposed to saving a pound and several folded inches)?

Kind of a silly question when it comes to height... the answer to that is going to be very dependent on what the person buying it usually shoots and how tall they are.... If you were really short I doubt you would ever use the extra 10 inches whereas if you were really tall it would likely be a necessity.

Gig 'Em Mickey

I use the roadtrip. I chose because of the extra height. I'm a taller person and I don't have a swivel screen. So it was worth it to me to have that extra height. And when collapsed it's still small. I hike with a North Face recon backpack and the tripod fit in there with room to spare still. I've been really happy with it. Sometimes if it's windy I'll use the hook on the tripod and my backpack on there to lower the center of gravity and stabilize it a bit.

maxairmike

I got the Globetrotter model because I wanted that extra height (I'm about 6'1), and honestly, I don't notice the extra pound over my old crappy Sunpak tripod, but I do notice the height difference, and how small it folds down to (15" is a lot shorter than 21").

KeithVH

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Now y'all got me paranoid about height.;) The Roadtrip it is. Which isn't a bad thing. I can get the red, white, and blue version from Amazon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom