Meeting someone you know by chance at WDW

righttrack

Because we often go during the standard school break time here in the northeast, I often see a lot of people we know. With one in college now, that break can't exist for us as a family so we do summers now.

JIMINYCR

I have never run into someone I knew but I have on several occasions, when in conversations with CM's found out they were from the same town or general area as me. Everyone that knows me knows my love for Disney, so anyone planning a trip to WDW makes sure they let me know they are going just to see how jealous/envious I get.... or to ask my opinion/advice on their trip plans.

bob1948

Random question.
Have any of you ever saw anyone you know at WDW without the knowledge that they were going to be there? Here is where this gets strange, for me anyway. I have been to WDW a total of 4 times. The first time I went, my wife and I located a long lost friend from high school outside of the Japan pavilion. The second time, at the Great Movie Ride, I spoke with a teacher colleague that worked at the same school as me. The third time we saw and spoke with one of my father's coworkers on the monorail. This last June, we ran into an old college friend of mine at Via Napoli.
We are from Tennessee, and Disney World is a dream come true for most people around the rural areas. I just find it odd that we have met people we knew every time I've been to WDW. Crazy, huh?
I

bob1948

Random question.
Have any of you ever saw anyone you know at WDW without the knowledge that they were going to be there? Here is where this gets strange, for me anyway. I have been to WDW a total of 4 times. The first time I went, my wife and I located a long lost friend from high school outside of the Japan pavilion. The second time, at the Great Movie Ride, I spoke with a teacher colleague that worked at the same school as me. The third time we saw and spoke with one of my father's coworkers on the monorail. This last June, we ran into an old college friend of mine at Via Napoli.
We are from Tennessee, and Disney World is a dream come true for most people around the rural areas. I just find it odd that we have met people we knew every time I've been to WDW. Crazy, huh?

I have had that happen twice. The first time we were on Tom Sawyer Island and bumped into someone from my office (we didn't work in the same department). The second time it happened, I was living in Dallas and was a season ticket holder for the Dallas Cowboys. My wife and I had exited the monorail at the Grand Floridian. As we started to enter the hotel, we ran into the guy who had the seats directly in front of me in the Cowboys' stadium. As they say, what are the odds. Even if you knew someone was at Disney World at the same time, I think it is doubtful you could find them.

jonesenon4

Yes strangely enough it has happened several times to us as well since we also live in a small S. GA. town. The first time we were standing in line for the safari when we heard someone shouting our names turned around to see 2 friends and their kids really strange. The next time we were in line at pooh around midnight looked below us and saw my sons 5th grade teacher pretty cool considering the size of our town and the number of people at the park.There have been a couple other times but they were just passing in the crowd.:cool:

rsoxguy

I once ran into the manager of my wife's eye doctor's office at MK. She couldn't wait to get away from us during her personal time. Very awkward, as I had no great desire to hang around with her either.

HouCuseChickie

We never had until this most recent trip.

I saw one of my sorority sisters from college in DTD on nt 1 of our trip.

The better one...we were at Akershus a few days later for the 8:05am breakfast seating. We got up to the cold buffet and when I turned around to check on something with my daughter, I realized a coworker from a floor above me was on line right behind me. Not only was he seated at the table next to us...but my empty park photos showed them way off in the distance (they came in the FW entrance and we entered via IG). I had no clue he was going to be there.

Goofyernmost

I've kinda had that happen a few times. It was mostly when my kids were real young. The first visit we were walking near the Robinson Tree House when I heard someone from behind call my name. I turned and saw someone that we had lived across the road from a few years before. The second trip, in Epcot, I met a person that I did business with, neither of us knew that we were going on the same date. The third happened that same year. I was staying off-site (as usual) and it was a cold morning in February. There was frost all over the car. It wasn't like the frost I was used to in Vermont, it was a thick, fluffy kind. I wrote with my finger on the top of the car..."This is Florida?" We had a room on the second floor, so I went back up and looked at my handy work. A guy I didn't know was out there as well and we started to talk and he asked me where I was from. I said Vermont and he said, Hey, me too! I asked him where in Vermont and he replied, Oh, it's a little town in North Western Vermont no one has ever heard of named Georgia. I was from there as well. Turns out, even though I didn't know him, he lived less then a mile from my house.

Later that week, we were in a McDonalds in St. Peterburg and were sitting next to a group of "snow birds" that were having coffee. As the spoke we overheard some of the towns they were naming. They were all from less then 10 miles from my home. It was almost spooky. Nothing like that has happened recently though.

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
I ran into a guy I went to church with for years as I entered Asia in DAK. He's an annual passholder so he goes with some frequency. That being said, when you live in a city under 50,000 and from the midwest it's an eye opener to be heading towards EE and run into a familiar face.

Goofnut1980

One cool December evening, a few years back, we were standing in the BTM queue and when I looked over I saw someone I worked with. We each had NO idea the other was going... It made for a super fun vacation. We had dinner together and visited some parks together.

ewensell3

Random question.
Have any of you ever saw anyone you know at WDW without the knowledge that they were going to be there?

My wife spotted a co-worker of hers at Epcot. It was spring break and she works for the local school system so chances were pretty good we'd see her co-workers or students.

Me, I'm oblivious in public so I wouldn't even recognize my own family in a Disney crowd.

misterhowe

I ran into a teacher that worked at the school at which I worked. We saw each other in the queue for Primeval Whirl at DAK; but, it was a little awkward as we kept crossing paths as we zigzagged through the queue and having short 10 second conversations as our parts of the line passed. Ironically, our classrooms were next door to each other, but we didn't know we would both be at WDW at during our break.
Also, after moving during the 3rd grade, I ran into a friend from elementary school at River Country!
Quite a small world!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom