Meet and Greets Squared: Bye, Timekeeper?

MrNonacho

Premium Member
:brick:

The only thing in this thread that said Timekeeper is going anywhere was an excerpt from a FICTIONAL STORY FROM D-TROOPS.

epcot2004

These meet & greets are just a cheap way to fill valuable space. When I was a kid seeing the characters was so exciting because they were much harder to find. The kids today can see the same character several times a day; takes some of the fun out of seeing them I would think. Not to mention ruining attractions which did not previously contain characters. :brick:

Magic Maker

I did not like Timekeeper. The character meet and greets work for me, because I am certain it will be temporary. Disney can't just pull another attraction out of its bottom and quite frankly certain parts of Timekeeper made me embarassed for Disney (the old Boys to Men music, the dated clothes, present time saying 2000 because supposedly it was to be a tribute to the Twin Towers still being in the film). I would rather they close it rather than show it to other Guests who don't know the history of the attraction and have them think they just wasted their time. Character meet and greets work for now because opening yet another new attraction would saturated the market and would not pay off. Disney needs to waited for another coming valley before they open another attraction, so in the meantime this will work.

CaptainMichael

I have no sentimental attachment to the attraction, but I'd hate to see a meet-n-greet take its place. I don't go to Walt Disney World to meet characters. I go for the attractions and the magical atmosphere. I can honestly do without a character's signature.

Of course, I'm 18. Guess I'm not the target audience for a meet-n-greet....

dxwwf3

STR8FAN2005 said:
I have no sentimental attachment to the attraction, but I'd hate to see a meet-n-greet take its place. I don't go to Walt Disney World to meet characters. I go for the attractions and the magical atmosphere. I can honestly do without a character's signature.

I agree. I do have some attachment to the place and the attraction, but just like The Land pavilion, if a replacement is done well, then I can easily live with it.

And I also know that meet and greets are popular among children and that's fine. But they do not have to be everywhere and they don't have to replace quality attractions. There are plenty of designated areas for meet and greets.

dxwwf3

MrNonacho said:
The only thing in this thread that said Timekeeper is going anywhere was an excerpt from a FICTIONAL STORY FROM D-TROOPS.

BUT having the TK not open every day during the busy summer season is not a good sign.....at all. That speaks louder than any rumor on the internet.

CaptainMichael

dxwwf3 said:
BUT having the TK not open every day during the busy summer season is not a good sign.....at all. That speaks louder than any rumor on the internet.

Indeed it does. I'm just happy that the Carousel of Progress is open instead. A much better sign, and better yet, it is constantly busy and the audience enjoys it! Imagine if Disney told people it was there.... :drevil: *cough...guidemaps...cough*

Melerella

Although, people waiting in line for meet and greets means there are less people at the big rides and attractions...not by much though..lol

speck76

dxwwf3 said:
I was at Timekeeper on the 4th (Actually the only reason I got up early and went to the MK that day) and it was sick to see characters in the building at the same time the attraction was operating. It's just a shame the way quality attractions like that get treated.

I highly disagree......the park was packed that day

Sicne the extra queue space was not needed for guests waiting in line, is it better to use that space for a meet and greet, or for nothing at all?

Would you have rather had the meet and greet out in TL, which was packed, and onlyt create more congestion?

General Grizz

Original Poster
MrNonacho said:
I think I missed the part of this thread that said the Timekeeper was going anywhere. I took the Screamscape blurb to mean backdrops will be added to the queue. It's not like the left side of the queue was anything special (or Timekeeper-related) anyway.
Thanks for bringing up that point, and I would prefer to see it in the queue.

Again, this is all based on rumor, so nothing should be taken as fact, but more along the lines of speculation.

(The quoted article is a fictional look at the future, but I found the similarity between it and the rumor surprisingly similar).

mkt said:
ok.... so people are complaining about the closing of an attraction that almost no one ever went on? Sorry guys, but if only 17 people are going to an attraction that can hold over 500... PER SHOW... maybe it's time for Disney to consider something other

I don't think anyone's complaining about the closing of a show. It's been closed most of the year for four years. I agree with you: maybe it is time for Disney to consider something different. But what seems to be a more permanent-looking Meet and Greet potentially furthers the status of Timekeeper as a "seasonal" attraction. This is more along the lines of what I think people are upset about, especially when Imagineering is constantly being downsized. Timekeeper has a lot of potential. . .

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
I highly disagree......the park was packed that day

Sicne the extra queue space was not needed for guests waiting in line, is it better to use that space for a meet and greet, or for nothing at all?

Would you have rather had the meet and greet out in TL, which was packed, and onlyt create more congestion?

Uh, It was July 4th, of course the park was packed that day :lol:

No I would not have rather had the meet and greet line out in TL. Maybe they could have had the meet and greet somewhere else. Like Mickey's Toontown Fair, the Diamond Horseshoe, Ariel's Grotto, or any other of the 500 locations for Meet and Greets in the park. They could easily turn the empty Galaxy Palace theater into a meet and greet (By simply adding a temporary roof or maybe replace the never used theater with a more permanent setting).

I think you're missing my whole point. Would you want to see Snow While and the Seven Dwarfs having a meet and greet in the hotel lobby of the Tower of Terror? Or how about seeing Peter Pan in the queue for Soarin? I would think not. Or at least I would hope not. It seems disrespectful to me to have a meet and greet go on in an open attraction. Whatever happened to being immersed in the attraction experience? Maybe I'm too pro-theme park and anti-amusement park. If Timekeeper was closed (which it almost always is now), then I guess I wouldn't have too much trouble with a meet and greet in there. But if the attraction is actually open, then can't it at least have a shred of dignity? Maybe people will see that there is more going on in that building than the meet and greet. And then maybe they can discover a first rate theme park attraction. How do you know that the queue space wouldn't have been needed on that super crowded day, if the attraction attendence wasn't being decreased by people waiting for the meet and greet?

mwc1996

When we went Last November there were meet and greets everywhere it seemed. If I had let my kids, they would have done nothing but get characters autographs all day long. If having 100 meet and greats around the park will keep the lines shorter for the rest of us then I say go for it. Let Disney have as many as they want.

Meet and Greets

I have 3 children; and, let me tell you, more meet-and-greets are not something they want!! Like me, my children enjoy randomly encountering characters around the parks. None of my kids like standing in line for a quick autograph and hug. I absolutely HATE to see more space devoted to this!

jmuboy

WDW mgmt is PATHETIC! I'm sad when I am at the MK now. My day at the MK was the worst day during my recent WDW trip. The park is a shallow, unimaginative shell of what it used to be. Character meet and greets, cheap t-shirts, pins, etc are everywhere. All these closed rides and shows. All this for $60? No thanks. I'd rather go to DL and get a ton more rides for $4 less!

TinkerBell9988

Man, oh, man...

Tomorrowland is in a desperate state right now, in my opinion. It is just not the way that it used to be (when it was filled with quality attractions that actually showcased a future of what could have been, etc...).

And don't even get me started on the current state of the Carousel of Progress...

Someone needs to call Matt Ouimet and tell him that we need him here in WDW's Magic Kingdom !

speck76

MrNonacho said:
Tell the guests to stop eating that stuff up, then.

Exactly.....if the guests would not want the stuff, the company would not provide it.

Pins are everywhere because they SELL. The replaced other merchandise that did not sell. Floorspace in a reatil outlet is limited, so, would a company want something that sells, or that does not sell, taking up that floorspace?

Pins, IMO, are a fad.....no different than Beanie Babies were a few years ago. In a few years, pin trading will lose its luster, and pin stores will go away.....and be replaced by the next "in" thing.

Meet and Greets.......everyone around here complains about them (which I think much of the complaining is for selfish reasons, since meet and greets tend to be geared towards kids)....but they are popular. If people stopped going to the meet and greets, they WOULD go away.

Obviously, there is demand for meet and greets, and WDW has done a good job at giving the guests demanding these attractions what they want.

Captain Chaos

dxwwf3 said:
It's so sad to see how dumb most guests are when it comes to WDW.QUOTE]

I don't think it is fair to call these people dumb. I for one must be dumb then too because I hated Timekeeper. I was in it once and never again, even when it was open.

I do agree with everyone though. Too many meet n greets. If Timekeeper goes away, I wouldn't be upset, I hope something new and improved will replace it. I will be upset, however, if the entire Timekeeper building is made into a meet n greet and nothing more.

dxwwf3

dxer07002 said:
I don't think it is fair to call these people dumb. I for one must be dumb then too because I hated Timekeeper. I was in it once and never again, even when it was open.

Now you know I didn't mean that :) If you walk around the park and hear some of the questions that are asked, you'll know what I'm talking about.

dxer07002 said:
I do agree with everyone though. Too many meet n greets. If Timekeeper goes away, I wouldn't be upset, I hope something new and improved will replace it. I will be upset, however, if the entire Timekeeper building is made into a meet n greet and nothing more.

That is exactly my point.

And it's not like I don't know that meet and greets are popular. But everything has it's own place. Mickey's Toontown Fair, Fantasyland, and Main Street USA (in the mornings) are the places for meet and greets. That's more than enough room to provide all the meeting and greeting that the MK needs. Attraction queues shouldn't have to be used for those areas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom