Mears or a Towncar Service

drjny

Original Poster
I am planning a trip for June 13-18, 2004 for three people. I booked the flight and hotel room. I am wondering whether I should book a towncar/car service or a ride on Mears.

The people in the party are 18, 20, and 82. So a rental car is not very easy to work with.

What is the best option for us. We are staying in a one bedroom in the Old Key West Resort and our plane arrives at 11:45 am.

What do you guys think?

csm7030

I don't know if the cost is prohibitive, but I'm sure you (and the 82 year old with you) would much prefer the towncar. I have gone with Mears before and it is not terrible, but it is a bus ride nonetheless. The towncar will leave when you are ready and take you directly to your resort. The bus will leave on its schedule (not yours) and make stops at several of the resorts.

Disnycrazy

I would highly suggest using a towncar service because they will pick you up at the airport and bring you directly to your hotel, same goes with the pick up to go back to the airport at the end f your trip. With Mears their is usually more then one party in the van so you may not be the first drop oof in fact you could end up being the last. Plus it will take you alot longer with Mears then with a Towncar Service. I used a Towncar Service that Disney Reservations recommended when I went last Novemebr and they were great.

chucknstuff

http://www.floridatowncar.com/

I always use these guys. They are very dependable and are about $120 for round trip. They are also available for any special request for additional stops. I usually arrive the day before our package starts. Get dropped off at one hotel on property then picked up at the other hotel on property. I have disney transfer our bags when we switch hotels and take disney transportation to get to the other hotel (or a cab for about $10)

iluvstitch

I used Quicksilver towncars on my trip and they were awesome! My flight was delayed twice for a total of 3 hrs (AirTran :rolleyes: ) and the driver was still waiting at the luggage area w/the sign w/my name. When he picked us up he was early, too. The towncar looked brand new inside and out and even had a DVD player w/a screen that flipped out of the ceiling. I will definitly use them on my next vacation.

When you take a Mears bus you are going to have to wait for it to fill up w/people and them drop everyone off- this is going to cut into your vacation time. -Stephanie

swimmom

We have taken both Mears & a towncar service, and we will continue to use towncar services. When we were in DWD a year ago March, the price difference between Mears & the towncar service for three people was $2.00. For $2.00 we were greeted by our driver at baggage claim. He took our luggage. We walked out of baggage claim to a cool (running with air on) towncar and were driven directly to our resort. If we requested in advance, we could have made a quick stop at a grocery store.

The last time we had used Mears, we made so many stops on the way to the airport and he picked up more passengers than the van could comfortabley seat. I was sitting in a seat in the back of the van with a suitcase behind me that would have hit me in the head if the driver would have had to stop suddenly! Unfortunately that was the trip that we took my 70 year old mother on!

Towncars for us from now on.

speck76

Mears runs most of the transportation options in Orlando. They own not only the bus service, but also yellow cab, checker cab, and a few others. The also run the largest towncar service. I don't know the exact price, but it is about $45 one way from the AP to my hotel, which is only 2 miles from Epcot. The bus ride is about $16 per person one way, so the costs would be about the same.

Quicksilver

WDWMAGIC Transportation Sponsor
Hi drjny,

We are the Transportation Sponsor here at WDWMAGIC.

As you can see by the posts above Towncar Services will be about the same as a shuttle. Actually, in your case, only $8.00 difference if you use our services. (Roundtrip to OKW is $95.00; with the shuttle $87.00)

We also offer a free 30 minutes stop.:)

For any further questions or concerns feel free to contact us at any time or visit our website.

Regards,

Gregory Nicolas.
:wave: :wave: :wave:

Foolish Mortal

Town car all the way !!! I just used a car service for the first time last week and dont ever wanna use the bus again. No matter what the price difference is, it's worth paying. I agree with everyone here. And from what i've heard and read (even in this thread) if you need to make a stop along the way, make sure you specify that upfront.

drjny

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your valuable insight. As you may have guessed, I am the travel agent for this trip. I like doing the research, I get excited thinking about the upcoming trip and best of all I don't have to pay for a travel agent since I do the work myself.

Anyway, after reading through the posts, I have decided to go with the towncar service for the convenience and ease of use. The only problem is which company do I go with since this is my first time doing this in the 16 trips I have gone to WDW.

What companies are out there and how do I know what to go with? What should I look for? Thanks for your help and remember that there are only 16 days left!!!!! ºoº ºoº

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by drjny

What companies are out there and how do I know what to go with? What should I look for? Thanks for your help and remember that there are only 16 days left!!!!! ºoº ºoº

I personally use Quicksilver. They are the best transportation company I have used in Orlando. The owner also participates in this site, answering any questions etc. There are many reviews of them on the site, all very positive. Do a search on Quicksilver and have a read. :)

drjny

Original Poster
Does Tiffany Towncar Service of Orlando offer a free grocery stop? Only 13 Days 14 Hrs 12 Mins 1 Secs left!!!

Quicksilver

Yes they do but only for 15 minutes.

Give us a call and I will be happy to help you plan your transportation to and from the Airport.:wave:

Gucci65

Does Tiffany Towncar Service of Orlando offer a free grocery stop? Only 13 Days 14 Hrs 12 Mins 1 Secs left!!!

I had a 30 minute grocery stop last December. Check their website, they list 30 mins. wwwtiffanytowncar.com

The only problem is which company do I go with since this is my first time doing this in the 16 trips I have gone to WDW.

My family used Quicksilver this past trip in May (also our first non-rental-car trip ever). Quicksilver were a great company to work with. Friendly drivers, lots of help. We didn't need the grocery stop.

We haven't decided whether we're going to rent a car on our next trip in December; if not, you can be sure that we'll use Quicksilver again.

drjny

Original Poster
Review of Quicksilver Tours and Transportation

After searching through all my options and carefully deciding, I choose to go with Quicksilver for the 30 minute grocery stop, the included tolls, and the fact that they sponsored this website.

After finishing the trip yesterday, this is my review of the company from my point of view.

Our flight arrived a half hour early so it felt like they were late but we were just early. The driver met us at the bottom of the escalator leading to the baggage claim. He helped us bring our bags to the car and load them into the car. We stopped at a Publix along the way to shop for groceries. On the return trip the driver was ten minutes early and we arrived at the airport on time.

In summary, everything went smoothly and I would recommend Quicksilver to anyone. The only complaint was that the driver talked on his cell phone a little too much and did not talk to us as much as my grandmother wanted.

Quicksilver

drjny said:
After searching through all my options and carefully deciding, I choose to go with Quicksilver for the 30 minute grocery stop, the included tolls, and the fact that they sponsored this website.

After finishing the trip yesterday, this is my review of the company from my point of view.

Our flight arrived a half hour early so it felt like they were late but we were just early. The driver met us at the bottom of the escalator leading to the baggage claim. He helped us bring our bags to the car and load them into the car. We stopped at a Publix along the way to shop for groceries. On the return trip the driver was ten minutes early and we arrived at the airport on time.

In summary, everything went smoothly and I would recommend Quicksilver to anyone. The only complaint was that the driver talked on his cell phone a little too much and did not talk to us as much as my grandmother wanted.

Hi,

I'm really glad you liked our services. :)

I must apologize for the driver being on the phone too much. It is our policy that the drivers should avoid talking on the phone if it is not an importatnt call or with the company for flight schedules and so on...

I've already talked to him. Thanks for your nice review, it always helps to have this kind of feedback. :wave:

Have a great day!

Gregory Nicolas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom