Mears Connect and the Sunshine Flyer Join Forces

Phonedave

It was a strategy to sell expensive character buffets, overpriced dvc, etc.

I can see this before alot of other suggestions that get thrown around…but still kind of a long shot

It was also a way to get people to WDW without a rental car. You could always taxi or black car, but with DME it was a lot easier to use the "free" service.

I know the first few times I went as a family (pre-DME) we rented a car. That allowed us to leave the property and do other things (i.e. spend money elsewhere).

A free service that removes that forces a guest to spend money on property was a genius idea.

CaptainAmerica

A free service that removes that forces a guest to spend money on property was a genius idea.
The problem is, Uber and Lyft made "piercing the bubble" sufficiently frictionless than even guests who were staying on property without a rental car weren't actually captive anymore.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It was also a way to get people to WDW without a rental car. You could always taxi or black car, but with DME it was a lot easier to use the "free" service.

I know the first few times I went as a family (pre-DME) we rented a car. That allowed us to leave the property and do other things (i.e. spend money elsewhere).

Oh no doubt…one way ticket into the bubble

Really dumb to kill it. Capital D

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
The "free" service (especially when factoring in the luggage delivery aspect) was one of the perks that set Disney apart. It meant that the magic started the moment you got off the airplane. It just made a Disney vacation feel "different" (in a good way).

Disone

Mears connect driven by Sunshine they said. All I've seen today is Mears connect buses. Those beautiful steam train themed buses seem to be...... Fading away

osian

Does anyone know the exact nature of the merger, e.g. did Sunshine staff transfer to Mears, is Mears now covering places that only Sunshine did before, or did Mears basically buy it and shut it down?

Disone

Does anyone know the exact nature of the merger, e.g. did Sunshine staff transfer to Mears, is Mears now covering places that only Sunshine did before, or did Mears basically buy it and shut it down?
They basically bought it and shut it down.
The themed costumes are gone and so are the buses that had the trains on them.

The only reference left, is on the Mears connect buses they've added a "driven by Sunshine". It is small and most will assume it's a reference to Florida sunshine and not the previous sunshine flyers. It has no actual tie into the sunshine flyers.

Most definitely this was a case of purchased the competition and shut it down.

Disone

They only thing left of the sunshine flyer....
PXL_20230929_224544983.jpg

gerarar

Premium Member
I booked a Mears Connect from my hotel (Disney's All Star Sports Resort) to MCO yesterday (10/5).

Was given a 12:05pm pickup time (flight was at 3:30pm), bus came at 11:58am. There was a SMS/email reminder given ~30 mins before arrival with live tracking info, picture of the bus, license plate, driver name, etc.

My resort was the first stop. We then continued to All Star Music and then Animal Kingdom Lodge.

We left WDW around 12:20pm and got to MCO airport around 1pm.

Overall the service was pretty good. Our chauffeur was very friendly and accommodating. He kept giving us updates on our flights and current TSA security wait times throughout the trip, which was very appreciated.

For $16, it was a pretty sweet deal compared to if I booked an Uber, which was fluctuating around $40 at the time (excluding tip).

I wished Magical Express was still a thing since I never got to experience that, but oh well..

TrainsOfDisney

My recent experience with Mears was definitely a step down from previous. They now have some sort of automated check in at the airport where you have to buy your ticket on an iPad that doesn’t give you a receipt.

The Mears workers in the terminal were extremely rude to both me and another family who were trying to buy tickets.

The driver was nice and the service was good but they need to improve the guest experience- it’s a far cry from having WDW Cast Members welcome you!

TrainsOfDisney

No I was only saying that if a receipt is a priority that is a way within their system. Do what you want.
Gotcha. I don’t care about a receipt but the issue is that you buy your ticket on the iPad, and then the workers ask for a receipt but you don’t have one. And then they act like you’re stupid. Haha.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom