Mears Connect and the Sunshine Flyer Join Forces

mattpeto

All that has to happen is 1 executive decides it’s a good idea and makes it happen. On the list of transportation possibilities at WDW - this takes very little investment or planning AND has the possibility of boosting hotel occupancy.
I'd like to think you're right, but I think DME was a nightmare for Disney to oversee. But it would return some great PR if they brought it back.

osian

This is a shame. Flying VA from the UK always means coming in on the east side of terminal B so Sunshine Flyer was more convenient being right there on the ground floor after taking the elevator. Now we've got the long walk along the clickety-clack corridor again!

CaptainAmerica

This is a shame. Flying VA from the UK always means coming in on the east side of terminal B so Sunshine Flyer was more convenient being right there on the ground floor after taking the elevator. Now we've got the long walk along the clickety-clack corridor again!
Where are you getting that the buses will be located anywhere different?

osian

Where are you getting that the buses will be located anywhere different?
From the FAQs at Sunshine Flyer. Boarding will be at the previous Disney space, follow signs for Mears Shuttles, i.e. where Mears Connect is now. It's exactly the same text as in the Mears FAQs and in fact the View All FAQs link takes you to the Mears site. Sunshine Flyer effectively ceases to exist and is no longer at the east side of terminal B.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

From the FAQs at Sunshine Flyer. Boarding will be at the previous Disney space, follow signs for Mears Shuttles, i.e. where Mears Connect is now. It's exactly the same text as in the Mears FAQs and in fact the View All FAQs link takes you to the Mears site. Sunshine Flyer effectively ceases to exist and is no longer at the east side of terminal B.
The Disney spaces are also on the B side.

osian

The Disney spaces are also on the B side.
Yes they are, but they're on the west side. It's a long walk down the clickety-clack corridor if you arrive on the east side. Sunshine Flyer is/was on the east side, the two services were at opposite ends of Level 1 terminal B.

Last edited:

5thGenTexan

We used Lyft in June because it was cheaper than Mears and Sunshine. In fact, we passed a Mears bus broken down on the side of the road just outside the airport. Seemed at the time we made the right choice. :)

CaptainAmerica

We used Lyft in June because it was cheaper than Mears and Sunshine. In fact, we passed a Mears bus broken down on the side of the road just outside the airport. Seemed at the time we made the right choice. :)
Yes if you can fit in a single Uber or Lyft, that's probably your best bet. We're forced to do the bus because we need two car seats and there's 5 of us.

Disone

Inevitable price hike coming soon now that there’s no competition.
This was unfortunate. Sunshine flyer was giving Mears a run for its money.

Sunshine flyer is certainly the more creative and flashier of the two businesses. Mears connect was a rather generic name.

Mears Connect operated by Sunshine.... Offt. It'll just be Mears as connect. Sunshine flyers will be a brief part of Orlando history soon enough.

stuart

That's part of the fun of it!

Biff215

Uber, Lyft, car rentals, private drivers, etc. are all competition.

"Competition" doesn't have to mean "another company doing the exact same thing."
Could be true, but do you really think Mears is buying out the competition just so they’re the only ones doing it? Gotta pay off that cost somehow. Time will tell!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Of course it is. There is nothing making it an impossibility.

? No. It’s not a hypothetical. If the right manager or team wants it, it will happen. If not, it won’t. Pretty simple.
It would have to get pretty bad if you’re gonna give something away a service for free that people accept paying for…

TrainsOfDisney

It would have to get pretty bad if you’re gonna give something away a service for free that people accept paying for…
Nothing forced them to provide that service the first time.

I’m not saying it will or won’t happen, I don’t really care. But it’s certainly a possibility and since it requires no major expenses (compared to other transportation projects like the skyliner) I would say it has a decent chance of being considered especially if occupancy starts to slip.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Nothing forced them to provide that service the first time.

I’m not saying it will or won’t happen, I don’t really care. But it’s certainly a possibility and since it requires no major expenses (compared to other transportation projects like the skyliner) I would say it has a decent chance of being considered especially if occupancy starts to slip.
It was a strategy to sell expensive character buffets, overpriced dvc, etc.

I can see this before alot of other suggestions that get thrown around…but still kind of a long shot

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom