MCU Phase 4 and beyond

BrianLo

Here are my predictions about Phase 4 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I've got a feeling Marvel will go back to releasing 3 movies a year in 2020. Especially since Doctor Strange 2 is rumoured to be released next year. Heck, they might even start releasing 4 films a year starting with 2021.

Black Widow(2020) - May 1st.

The Eternals(2020) - July 31st.

Doctor Strange 2(2020) - November 6th.

Black Panther 2(2021) - February 12th.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3(2021) - May 7th.

Fantastic Four(2021) - August 18th.

Shang-Chi(2021) - November 5th.

Captain Marvel 2(2022) - February 18th.

Avengers: Secret Invasion(2022) -May 6

Spider-Man: Home for Graduation(2022) - July 29th.

Marvel's X-Men(2022) - November 9th.

The Incredible Hulk 2(2023) - March 15th(depending if Marvel gets the distribution rights to the Hulk back).

Avengers: Dark Reign(2023) - April 25th.

2 of the 2023 films will be part of a potential Phase 5.

Black Widow 2(2023) - July 5th.

Black Knight(2023) - November 22nd

I really don't think we'll see a solo Hulk movie (even if they had the rights) after the success of Ragnarok.

I think Hulk is better relegated to team ups. Captain Marvel 2 would be a natural fit.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
I really don't think we'll see a solo Hulk movie (even if they had the rights) after the success of Ragnarok.

I think Hulk is better relegated to team ups. Captain Marvel 2 would be a natural fit.
Agreed, I don't see a solo Hulk film anytime soon, if ever.

Really there isn't too much more they can tell with Hulk in a solo film anyways that they couldn't tell in a team up film. Banner gets (or stays) mad, Hulk Smash, Banner is back, end of film. While I like the character, and like Ruffalo playing him, he's a pretty boring solo character.

brodie999

I think you're pretty close. I know they quietly dropped the July 2020 date so Eternals will likely be later, maybe 2021. Black Widow is almost a sure thing for 2020 (they are already spinning up production without naming the movie).

Marvel is really trying to make the 3 movies a year work. I could see them going back to 2 movies for years with a large cast/team ups and sticking with the 3 a year on the solo movies. I feel that Marvel has been good about calling their shots since moving around the few dates after the big Phase 3 announcement. We'll likely be getting a similar Phase 4 announcement at either Comic Con or D23 Expo.
Well, the Eternals just started casting. And Doctor Strange 2 is rumoured to be released next year. So I think they'll go back to releasing 3 films next year.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Don't forget the D+ Marvel mini-series being produced by Marvel Studios (and not Marvel TV):
  • Falcon/Winter Soldier
  • The Vision and Scarlet Witch
  • Loki

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Don't forget the D+ Marvel mini-series being produced by Marvel Studios (and not Marvel TV):
  • Falcon/Winter Soldier
  • The Vision and Scarlet Witch
  • Loki

Plus I'd expect more Cloak and Dagger style series showing up on FX/FXX and Freeform all connected to the MCU.

Too bad Legion is only getting one more season, it'd be interesting to see what David Haller could do in the MCU....

brodie999

Plus I'd expect more Cloak and Dagger style series showing up on FX/FXX and Freeform all connected to the MCU.

Too bad Legion is only getting one more season, it'd be interesting to see what David Haller could do in the MCU....
Yes, it will. It'd be interesting to see what X-23 and the New Mutants could do in the MCU. Let's not forget Marvel TV would want to do Defenders/Punisher style MCU shows on 20th Century Fox Television too. Here are my predictions of Marvel shows on Fox's TV networks.

20th Century Fox Television: Darkhawk, Invaders, Power Pack, Squadron Surpeme and Champions.

FX: Big Hero 6, Son of Satan, Werewolf by Night, Ghost Rider, Blade, Moon Knight and Marvel Knights.

Possible idea: The revival of the Marvel-Netflix shows on FXX(including Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, The Punisher and the Defenders Season 2.

brodie999

Agreed, I don't see a solo Hulk film anytime soon, if ever.

Really there isn't too much more they can tell with Hulk in a solo film anyways that they couldn't tell in a team up film. Banner gets (or stays) mad, Hulk Smash, Banner is back, end of film. While I like the character, and like Ruffalo playing him, he's a pretty boring solo character.
We don't know what's gonna happen, guys. Hulk is the only one of the original heroes of Phase 4 who hasn't got his own trilogy. And when/if they get the distribution rights back, I'm sure they'll put a long-awaited sequel to the original Incredible Hulk into production. Universal hasn't used him in 11 years, so it looks like it's only a matter of time before Marvel regains all their characters again. He could easily find success in his own trilogy of Marvel films too since the Incredible Hulk made $263 million and will make another $20 million, making it a total of $283 million. That's enough to consider the film a success.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
We don't know what's gonna happen, guys. Hulk is the only one of the original heroes of Phase 4 who hasn't got his own trilogy. And when/if they get the distribution rights back, I'm sure they'll put a long-awaited sequel to the original Incredible Hulk into production. Universal hasn't used him in 11 years, so it looks like it's only a matter of time before Marvel regains all their characters again. He could easily find success in his own trilogy of Marvel films too since the Incredible Hulk made $263 million and will make another $20 million, making it a total of $283 million. That's enough to consider the film a success.

Of course we don't know whats gonna happen. But really Hulk is not a great solo character, which is one of the reasons Universal hasn't put out a film either on their own or partnered with Marvel for the MCU.

As I see it, they don't need to tell an origin story, as the Ed Norton version is already part of the MCU. There really isn't that much of a sequel, as in the MCU they've already got the story arc of Banner accepting his fate as the Hulk, and Gen Ross isn't going to show up since he's part of the Avengers. So really I don't see what story they could tell with any solo film, as there is no conflict for Banner to go through.

Really the only way I can see a Hulk solo film is if they do an Agents of SMASH film where they introduce the other Hulk characters.

Also at this point Comcast doesn't appear to be willing to let go of the film rights anyways or even to do a partnership. So I don't see it happening anytime in the next 5-10 years, putting it out of Phase 4 and maybe out of Phase 5 anyways. So yes we don't know what's going to happen, but I personally don't see it.

brodie999

Of course we don't know whats gonna happen. But really Hulk is not a great solo character, which is one of the reasons Universal hasn't put out a film either on their own or partnered with Marvel for the MCU.

As I see it, they don't need to tell an origin story, as the Ed Norton version is already part of the MCU. There really isn't that much of a sequel, as in the MCU they've already got the story arc of Banner accepting his fate as the Hulk, and Gen Ross isn't going to show up since he's part of the Avengers. So really I don't see what story they could tell with any solo film, as there is no conflict for Banner to go through.

Really the only way I can see a Hulk solo film is if they do an Agents of SMASH film where they introduce the other Hulk characters.

Also at this point Comcast doesn't appear to be willing to let go of the film rights anyways or even to do a partnership. So I don't see it happening anytime in the next 5-10 years, putting it out of Phase 4 and maybe out of Phase 5 anyways. So yes we don't know what's going to happen, but I personally don't see it.
Well, the Ed Norton version might be in the same universe, but Mark Ruffalo should've been cast as Bruce Banner from the beginning. Marvel should've had more creative control over TIH so they'd cast him as Bruce Banner and restrict Norton in a small role as Igor Drenkov. He might be a fine Hulk, but he looks too handsome in the role. That's why I think he'd do a much better job as Bruce Banner's old science partner. IF we had Ruffalo from the beginning , The Incredible Hulk would've been tied in more with the MCU.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yes, it will. It'd be interesting to see what X-23 and the New Mutants could do in the MCU. Let's not forget Marvel TV would want to do Defenders/Punisher style MCU shows on 20th Century Fox Television too. Here are my predictions of Marvel shows on Fox's TV networks.

20th Century Fox Television: Darkhawk, Invaders, Power Pack, Squadron Surpeme and Champions.

FX: Big Hero 6, Son of Satan, Werewolf by Night, Ghost Rider, Blade, Moon Knight and Marvel Knights.

Possible idea: The revival of the Marvel-Netflix shows on FXX(including Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, The Punisher and the Defenders Season 2.

Well a couple things:

New Mutants is not coming into the MCU anytime soon. The New Mutants movie is not set as part of the MCU. Dark Phoenix and New Mutants is basically a send off to the Fox X-Men franchise, so closing that final chapter of the non-Disney Marvel films.

Big Hero 6 was already a Disney used property and has a film and TV show on Disney XD. So I don't see a live action version of that happening.

Ghost Rider is part of Agents of SHIELD. So if there is a spin-off series I'd expect it to be on ABC not FX.

As for the rest I say most of those will be on Disney+ or maybe even Hulu.

brodie999

Well a couple things:

New Mutants is not coming into the MCU anytime soon. The New Mutants movie is not set as part of the MCU. Dark Phoenix and New Mutants is basically a send off to the Fox X-Men franchise, so closing that final chapter of the non-Disney Marvel films.

Big Hero 6 was already a Disney used property and has a film and TV show on Disney XD. So I don't see a live action version of that happening.

Ghost Rider is part of Agents of SHIELD. So if there is a spin-off series I'd expect it to be on ABC not FX.

As for the rest I say most of those will be on Disney+ or maybe even Hulu.
Well, Ghost Rider would be more fit for FXX than ABC because he's one of the darker Marvel characters. As for Big Hero 6, one day, the Disney XD show will end. And every Marvel character will enter the MCU eventually. BH6 included. Marvel Television would make the MCU version more faithful to the comics than the Disney version.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, the Ed Norton version might be in the same universe, but Mark Ruffalo should've been cast as Bruce Banner from the beginning. Marvel should've had more creative control over TIH so they'd cast him as Bruce Banner and restrict Norton in a small role as Igor Drenkov. He might be a fine Hulk, but he looks too handsome in the role. That's why I think he'd do a much better job as Bruce Banner's old science partner. IF we had Ruffalo from the beginning , The Incredible Hulk would've been tied in more with the MCU.

Ruffalo was still a relatively unknown actor back in 2006 when casting was happening, while Norton was a more well known name from the 90s. So Universal wasn't going to bank their Marvel film on an unknown actor. Plus we don't even know if Ruffalo even auditioned for Hulk back in 2006 anyways.

So while hindsight is always 20/20 there was likely no way to know that Ruffalo was going to be a better fit for Hulk in the MCU long term back when Feige was putting it together.

brodie999

Ruffalo was still a relatively unknown actor back in 2006 when casting was happening, while Norton was a more well known name from the 90s. So Universal wasn't going to bank their Marvel film on an unknown actor. Plus we don't even know if Ruffalo even auditioned for Hulk back in 2006 anyways.

So while hindsight is always 20/20 there was likely no way to know that Ruffalo was going to be a better fit for Hulk in the MCU long term back when Feige was putting it together.
Actually, he was Louis Leterrier's first choice to play Bruce Banner in the Incredible Hulk. If Marvel convinced Universal that sometimes, using unknown actors can find more critical success than well-known ones, it'd be a one time deal. They choose unknown actors these days. That's why they're better at casting than DC.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, Ghost Rider would be more fit for FXX than ABC because he's one of the darker Marvel characters. As for Big Hero 6, one day, the Disney XD show will end. And every Marvel character will enter the MCU eventually. BH6 included. Marvel Television would make the MCU version more faithful to the comics than the Disney version.

The Ghost Rider story arc in AoS was pretty dark, so Marvel Television and ABC don't appear to have any issue with putting out darker stories. No need to move channels.

Not every Marvel character will get into the MCU, it just won't happen. There are by some accounts over 8000 characters in the Marvel stable of characters. So even if they made films for the next 100 years, there is no way they'd use half of the available characters let alone every single character.

So no I don't think Big Hero 6 will get its own MCU based show, too many people already think its a Disney film anyways.

brodie999

The Ghost Rider story arc in AoS was pretty dark, so Marvel Television and ABC don't appear to have any issue with putting out darker stories. No need to move channels.

Not every Marvel character will get into the MCU, it just won't happen. There are by some accounts over 8000 characters in the Marvel stable of characters. So even if they made films for the next 100 years, there is no way they'd use half of the available characters let alone every single character.

So no I don't think Big Hero 6 will get its own MCU based show, too many people already think its a Disney film anyways.
Well, knowing Marvel, the possibilities are endless. So they might consider it one day. We just don't know it yet. That's why Marvel keeps things a secret until films are released and they announce things at conversations like Comic Con and D23.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Actually, he was Louis Leterrier's first choice to play Bruce Banner in the Incredible Hulk. If Marvel convinced Universal that sometimes, using unknown actors can find more critical success than well-known ones, it'd be a one time deal. They choose unknown actors these days. That's why they're better at casting than DC.

Actually if you read that article, by the directors account it was Marvel that wanted Norton while the director wanted Ruffalo. So while I concede they could have gotten him into the MCU earlier it wasn't Marvel convincing Universal, it would have been the director convincing Marvel.

Again point is hindsight is always 20/20. If Norton continued the role we wouldn't be having this discussion.

brodie999

Actually if you read that article, by the directors account it was Marvel that wanted Norton while the director wanted Ruffalo. So while I concede they could have gotten him into the MCU earlier it wasn't Marvel convincing Universal, it would have been the director convincing Marvel.

Again point is hindsight is always 20/20. If Norton continued the role we wouldn't be having this discussion.
You're right. Lou Ferrigno wanted Norton too. Leterrier and Ruffalo were friends for a long time. So the former would've had a long battle, trying to convince Marvel and Universal to cast the actor much earlier because they should've realised Norton was a control freak sooner before the Avengers was made.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, knowing Marvel, the possibilities are endless. So they might consider it one day. We just don't know it yet. That's why Marvel keeps things a secret until films are released and they announce things at conversation like Comic Con and D23.

You act as though Marvel is a separate company. They are part of Disney. So while Disney does give Marvel a lot of autonomy there are things that Disney have a lot of say in.

brodie999

You act as though Marvel is a separate company. They are part of Disney. So while Disney does give Marvel a lot of autonomy there are things that Disney have a lot of say in.
I know Marvel is part of Disney, but their Disney-Marvel franchises have to come to an end, so they can have a lot of say in their introductions into the MCU. A lot of fans are wanting that to happen right now. Maybe we could have some of the Disney BH6 characters appear in the universe based on their popularity in the film and show. Besides, it has a strong following since the film came out. So Disney/Marvel might consider releasing a TV show or film about the team in the MCU one day.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
I know Marvel is part of Disney, but their Disney-Marvel franchises have to come to an end, so they can have a lot of say in their introductions into the MCU. A lot of fans are wanting that to happen right now. Maybe we could have some of the Disney BH6 characters appear in the universe based on their popularity in the film and show. Besides, it has a strong following since the film came out. So Disney/Marvel might consider releasing a TV show or film about the team in the MCU one day.

So I will say anything is possible. However with this one I see it as pretty much unlikely, just by the very fact they already had access to the characters. So why make a Disney Animation Studios film out of the characters if they were just going to use them in the MCU later? Why not then just add them to the MCU now (or save them for the MCU later)? Bottom line again Marvel isn't going to use every single character for the MCU, its just not possible with over 8K characters to choose from. So let the rest of the company use the ones not going to be used in the MCU, we call this corporate synergy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom