MB Pairing

StarshipDisney

We are going in December and will be taking only one smart phone. I am retired, spend most of my time at home, and have a desktop upstairs with a nice large flatscreen where I do all my internet and computer games. I don't need one. My wife has one. We are always together at Disney, so this has worked out fine for us in the past.

The question is regarding pairing one phone with two Magic Bands. Can this be done? Is it a good idea? Will this cause any known issues at the parks or otherwise?

Don't know if anyone else has tried/encountered this situation but doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks.

nickys

Premium Member
I don’t understand the question. So I’ll ask a couple to try and help.

Do you both have your own MDE account?
Is each magic band linked to one person, so that one is linked to you and one is linked to your wife?

Each of you needs a magic band linked to you, whether you have your own accounts or otherwise. And if you both have your own account then you must be linked as Friends and family if you want to be be able to book things like Genie+ etc.

A third question, when did you last go? If you have been at all recently, in the days of FP+ and magic bands, for example, although there are new things like park reservations, Genie+ and so on, in terms of MDE nothing much has changed.

Upvote 0

StarshipDisney

Original Poster
I don’t understand the question. So I’ll ask a couple to try and help.

Thanks for helping.

We have only one MDE account (my e-mail address) and I do all of our reservations. I am the planner. My wife is not into Disney like I am. All reservations I make are always for both of us.

We have two MB+ that we just bought. I am just not sure if the Disney intent is for everyone in the party to have individual smart phones. If so, then we won't have that, and I am not sure if two bands should be linked to the same smart phone and if that may cause any issues.

We last went in 2018.

Upvote 0

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Right now you are in good shape as there are only two special functions that you can do with the MB+ that require registration to a smart phone:

1. Bounty Hunters game in Hollywood Studios Park, Batu (aka Starwars land)
2. "Capture" the 50th Statues at each Park using the Play! application (that's in addition to MDE) For that you need to have MDE, Disney Play! opened up, one of the MB+ with an active link to your phone. You stand in from of each statue and wave causing an audio clip to play from each statue.

So just link one to your phone and use it. The other one will still work just like a MB 2. (but you'll need to recharge both every night.

It's a Cute gimmick right now. We just returned from WDW last Monday.

Upvote 0

StarshipDisney

Original Poster
So just link one to your phone and use it. The other one will still work just like a MB 2. (but you'll need to recharge both every night.

Thank you! That is exactly what I wanted to know.

One smart phone has always served us well on past trips. I make all the plans for both of us and just use that phone number for all reservations or texts.

I don't know what "Disney Play" is. We do have the MDE app loaded. I can see our reservations on the phone.

I thought the 50th Anniversary statues interacted with the new MB+ alone? You need the phone with Disney Play for that to happen?

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
So I assume your wife has a profile on MDE? In which case you can still link a magic band to her. As well as linking yours. That way she can use her magic band for a ticket.
You don’t link magic bands to phones. You link them to people via MDE. I think that’s where you’re getting confused.

Upvote 0

StarshipDisney

Original Poster
So I assume your wife has a profile on MDE?

Not sure how to answer. When I go on MDE, the "My Planning Party" and the "Family and Friends List" include me and her. I do all the planning. We are both listed as having resort reservations, park reservations, and 4-day tickets w/Genie+.

She never uses or visits MDE. In the past, I have just asked her for the phone as needed and use it to check wait times or make FP reservations...etc. The plan is the same for this trip. Anything Disney and I will be the only one doing it.

I readily admit I am no software expert. I think I will just link my one MB to the phone for now and check with the concierge when we get to the resort. See what they say.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Not sure how to answer. When I go on MDE, the "My Planning Party" and the "Family and Friends List" include me and her. I do all the planning. We are both listed as having resort reservations, park reservations, and 4-day tickets w/Genie+.

She never uses or visits MDE. In the past, I have just asked her for the phone as needed and use it to check wait times or make FP reservations...etc. The plan is the same for this trip. Anything Disney and I will be the only one doing it.

I readily admit I am no software expert. I think I will just link my one MB to the phone for now and check with the concierge when we get to the resort. See what they say.
Yes, that means she has a profile, not her own account.
You can link her band to her. That would mean she can scan her band to enter the parks. Otherwise she will need an actual plastic card from Guest Services or your resort concierge.

Upvote 0

Gillyanne

I thought the 50th Anniversary statues interacted with the new MB+ alone? You need the phone with Disney Play for that to happen?

They will make your MB+ buzz and light up, and if you wave they will make the sound without any additional apps, but the Play! app has a "game" where you can track which ones you have interacted with, so you can try to hit all of them. If you wanted to track, you'd have to download the Play! app (in addition to MDE), and when you use it, make sure one of the MB+ is showing as "connected" at the time (with the Play! app open too) to track it. My MB+ has issues staying connected, so I could never get it to work the couple times I tried.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Both bands came with our names printed on them same as before. I am certainly hoping that is done.
There is a way to check. I find it easier on the website. Look for “My magic bands and cards”. Now for your wife I expect you need to go into your Family and Friends List and select her first, and then you’ll be able to check. If it shows up as a Magic Band+ then it’s good to go. Otherwise the Concierge can help you do that.

It just makes it easier for her to do the ordinary stuff, even if she doesn’t use it for the interactive things.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom