Maybe an indication of what to expect from Guillermo del Toro's Haunted Mansion movie...

Phineas

Original Poster
Hey, everyone. I went to see Mad Max last night, and one of the trailers beforehand was for del Toro's upcoming horror movie, Crimson Peak. Atmospherically, it reminded me of The Haunted Mansion. I'm kind of hoping that when his HM movie comes out at last, we get something along these lines, but with a bit more humor:

This isn't the longer version I saw in the theater last night, but it'll give you the general idea.

Bairstow

I'm still very skeptical that this would ever get made, or that it could stray too far from Disney's last "Haunted Mansion" movie.
I wonder if Disney ever contemplated installing a set of 3 Eddie Murphy animatronics in the ride, and changing the ride's narration to focus on Eddie Murphy's character.
Further, if in face a Del Toro movie is ever released, would they be changing the ride to better suit whatever tone he adopts?

Phineas

Original Poster
I'm still very skeptical that this would ever get made, or that it could stray too far from Disney's last "Haunted Mansion" movie.
I wonder if Disney ever contemplated installing a set of 3 Eddie Murphy animatronics in the ride, and changing the ride's narration to focus on Eddie Murphy's character.
Further, if in face a Del Toro movie is ever released, would they be changing the ride to better suit whatever tone he adopts?

My thinking is that we've already seen the worst that can happen (see your clip above). I remember cringing when I watched the 'making of' bits on the DVD-Jennifer Tilly said something to the effect of "...And if this movie does well and they redo the ride, I can be Leota!" :arghh:

I'm cautiously optimistic on this one. Both del Toro and Ryan Gosling are massive fans of the original attraction (Gosling co-found a band, Dead Man's Bones, based largely on his love of it), and aren't likely to do anything to go against the spirit/feel of the mansion. Again, cautiously optimistic, but hopefully he's able to keep with the silly/sinister tone that the original perfected. I'd argue that he's one of the better choices for directors of such a project.

And I'm also hoping he doesn't feel the need to include a "Busy dad learns to make time for his kids!" plot line. Remember the original's opening credit sequence? And the overall set/costume design? It was almost perfect.

Aaaand then they squandered it.

Last edited:

JordanNite

He's a fantastic director. Pan's Labrynth is probably the greatest movie ever made.

However his last movie Pacific Rim was rubbish. He is in no way a Disney kids film director - so i can imagine the direction being very dark.

Phineas

Original Poster
He's a fantastic director. Pan's Labrynth is probably the greatest movie ever made.

However his last movie Pacific Rim was rubbish. He is in no way a Disney kids film director - so i can imagine the direction being very dark.
I went into Pacific Rim expecting a mash up of Godzilla and Power Rangers-nothing too deep or thought provoking, but rather a theme park attraction-a summer popcorn movie. I think the marketing was a bit misleading on it, so I totally get why you'd feel that way. But as a fan of the Kaiju genre (guilty pleasure, really), I really enjoyed it.

Phineas

Original Poster
this sounds like one of those films that you will hear about for years and in the end will never happen.
Entirely possible. It wouldn't surprise me one bit.
But, we're apparently getting that Beetlejuice goes Hawaiian movie, so anything is possible I suppose.

Love your username, by the way-I had all the Fright Knight Lego sets growing up.

AndyS2992

The thing is with Del Toro, he puts his name on hundreds of projects yet very, very few ever come to fruition so I'd be very sceptical about the Haunted Mansion project which has supposedly been in the making for a number of years now..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom