May have to cancel Xmas trip :(

I guess this is the opposite of trip planning, but I wanted to commiserate here with like minded folks who would understand our sadness.

We are currently booked for a Christmas trip from 12/22 to 12/29. Unfortunately, due to some unforeseen expenses, we are probably going to have to cancel our trip. I have until November 22 to officially cancel, but it's not looking good.

Anyone else ever have to cancel a trip so close? The whole family is really bummed out.

Bright side, I guess, is we are planning on returning in December of 2021 for Christmas, and the 50th celebration. But after all the planning we've done for this trip, 2 years seems like an eternity!!! :(

Marianm

It’s a bummer to have to cancel, but I agree with poster above that you have to do what’s best for you. And Disney will be there! We booked our upcoming trip a few weeks ago and since I’m pregnant with my third, I always had in the back of mind I may have to cancel last minute and I was OK with that. Best of luck! Hopefully things will work out for you

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I'm sorry to hear it -- it's never fun to cancel plans. :( Just try to focus on how many new things there will be for you to see when you go in 2021, and what a better time it will be to visit!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Awww shucks. I havent had to actually cancel a trip that was booked yet but have had one in the planning phase and had to delay it for another year. Really hurts to have that burst of excitement of a Disney trip in your life only to see it fade away. Its like tearing your heart out of your chest. Hope you can manage to make the follow up ones that much better. Our longest Disney pause was a 4 year one when DS was in HS.

Upvote 0

80sRockKevin

Original Poster
Awww shucks. I havent had to actually cancel a trip that was booked yet but have had one in the planning phase and had to delay it for another year. Really hurts to have that burst of excitement of a Disney trip in your life only to see it fade away. Its like tearing your heart out of your chest. Hope you can manage to make the follow up ones that much better. Our longest Disney pause was a 4 year one when DS was in HS.

Thanks. Yeah it totally feels like having your heart ripped out. On top of it both of our daughters are having tough autumns for different reasons, so it would have really done their spirits some good. We had a long break between 2007 and 2015, and was there last in 2016. It's never easy! Man that place really gets inside you huh? :)

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
We had to cancel a summer 2016 trip about two months out. It sucked, but you have to do what’s right for you.

There was a bright side. We hadn’t been since 2012 and all the changes had come in, which I wasn’t fully aware about. So when we rebooked I searched around online and found this site. And we rebooked for Christmas instead, which we loved. So much so we are going back next year for Christmas, to celebrate DS’s 21st earlier in the year.

Upvote 0

cslafferty

I was going to start a thread, but I’ll throw it out here to see if any of you have advice . . . Our adult daughter who has pulmonary fibrosis was admitted to the hospital yesterday with double pneumonia. She is in the ICU on a ventilator. My husband, sister, and I have been planning our Dec 8-14 WDW trip for over a year. We have a room only reservation at CR and bought 5 day park hopper passes through my sisters military discount. I am hoping that by Dec 8 my daughter will be recovered and home. But last spring when this happened she spent 57 days in the ICU. We just won’t know until the last minute. So . . . if we need can’t go at the last minute, anyone know what Disney’s policy would be? I know our airfare is non-refundable, and I’m pretty sure our passes would be, too. Not sure if Disney would let us move our reservation to another date or not.

Upvote 0

Tony the Tigger

My brother was supposed to come down from NJ this week with all of his in-laws to take my nephews and nieces, and we were supposed to meet them up there. They are newbies and I’ve been helping them plan for a long time.

Sadly, his wife’s Grandpa just passed a few days ago. Obviously, no trip.

Upvote 0

Tony the Tigger

I was going to start a thread, but I’ll throw it out here to see if any of you have advice . . . Our adult daughter who has pulmonary fibrosis was admitted to the hospital yesterday with double pneumonia. She is in the ICU on a ventilator. My husband, sister, and I have been planning our Dec 8-14 WDW trip for over a year. We have a room only reservation at CR and bought 5 day park hopper passes through my sisters military discount. I am hoping that by Dec 8 my daughter will be recovered and home. But last spring when this happened she spent 57 days in the ICU. We just won’t know until the last minute. So . . . if we need can’t go at the last minute, anyone know what Disney’s policy would be? I know our airfare is non-refundable, and I’m pretty sure our passes would be, too. Not sure if Disney would let us move our reservation to another date or not.

If your daughter is not out of ICU, then you stay with her and let everyone else go.

Upvote 0

80sRockKevin

Original Poster

So sorry to hear that. If I were you I'd just call Disney directly and explain your situation. You never know what they may do...

Upvote 0

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Call Disney and explain the situation to them. Ask if there's anything that can be done if you found the need to reschedule your trip. I'm not sure but they might give you options like being able to reschedule and if so, find out that timeframe. Definitely worth calling, it's possible they might work around your circumstance.

Upvote 0

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Sorry to hear you needed to cancel your trip. We've been in that boat too, just last year we had to cancel a November trip which would've been our 1st time at WDW during Christmas season. We are going this year in December. Finally made it to our 1st Holiday Season trip.

It stunk cancelling but time goes quick. Here we are a month out from our rescheduled trip. Hang in there. It might help to plan something smaller during the dates you had set. Go out for a full day of fun or do an overnight excursion if you can swing it.

Upvote 0

yensid67

I guess this is the opposite of trip planning, but I wanted to commiserate here with like minded folks who would understand our sadness.

We are currently booked for a Christmas trip from 12/22 to 12/29. Unfortunately, due to some unforeseen expenses, we are probably going to have to cancel our trip. I have until November 22 to officially cancel, but it's not looking good.

Anyone else ever have to cancel a trip so close? The whole family is really bummed out.

Bright side, I guess, is we are planning on returning in December of 2021 for Christmas, and the 50th celebration. But after all the planning we've done for this trip, 2 years seems like an eternity!!! :(
After planning a trip for 5 years and saving all the cash needed and then some, I had to cancel my trip this year 2 months out! I was sad and disappointed, but the best thing to do is to RESCHEDULE your trip! This gives you something to look forward to and softens the blow of canceling your trip.
I am now planning a December 2022 trip!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom