Maxtor Hard Drive help

NowInc

Man i wish i saw this thread sooner! heh..i install hard drives at alarming rates latley (Now that those large 150+ gig drives are mega cheap, ive been loading up)..formatting is always the reason for a lack of drive recognition, it has no header info without it ;)

ALSO...a few little things to look into before a holy formatting..

1.) The Drives new formatted file system has to be compatible with whatever new OS you are putting on there (fat32 is usually a safe option if you dont know which is supported)

2.) if the drive is over 134 gigs, you must have all the latest service packs installed for 2k/XP or else the drive wont be recognized.

3.) Physically, make sure the drive has a good source of airflow inside your PC case. Overheating is the worst thing for a hard drive, and could cause some pretty bad lockups.

Blizz

Also, just some more tips...

If your drive is larger then 120GB (i reccomend anything larger then 80GB) you cant just set it as a slave drive. You will need an ATA PCI Card to handle the drive's size. In turn on boot up you will see a new DOS screen searching and connecting to the new drive.

And for those buying a new drive dont get anything less then an 8mb cache and try to get one that is 7200 RPM (unless your getting a Maxtor 300GB drive which is only offered at 5400 RPM {but a 16mb cache})

Lil'mermaid

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! We got the dang thing and working now. They gave us blank softwear.

Thanks all for putting up with a very angry, frustrated girl! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom