Massive Kissimmee hotel fire - smoke very visible from WDW property

Glen Quagmire

I rarely ever post but I thought I might as well chime in here.

I stayed at that place back in the summer of 2002 with a bunch of friends when I was still in Highschool. I think back then it was called the Econo Lodge hawaiian at the time.

It was my frist and only time staying off property(my parents are DVC members). I remember it being ghetto but we just looked at it as an adventure. It's interesting to me that it turned into low income housing. When we were there it was a bunch of college aged students from South Africa staying there.

Looking back on things there was some shady stuff going on there that kinda just went over my head at the time.

Mad Stitch

This made my local news with the headline "Fire destroys lodge near Disney's Animal Kingdom." I flipped thinking it was Animal Kingdom Lodge.

tecowdw

And people wonder why I stay on property.

Amen! I never stay offsite ever since I had a bad experince with a Quality, or Comfort, or something Inn on I-Drive back in 1995! Even away from Disney, it's always a Hampton, HI Express, Hyatt, etc. for me!

Call me spoiled but I can't handle flea-bag hotels/motels anymore!
:drevil:

maxairmike

Just stayed in a Travelodge over the weekend...talk about an adventure! :lol:

Can't say I'm surprised by this bit of news, and I am in the "addition by subtraction" crowd.

tecowdw

Just stayed in a Travelodge over the weekend...talk about an adventure! :lol:

Can't say I'm surprised by this bit of news, and I am in the "addition by subtraction" crowd.

Stayed at one in Waco, TX a couple years ago...yikes! Room looked like it hadn't been refurbished since the 70's and the "other guests" were...how do I say it...different! It was a business trip - I made a bad choice attempting to save the friggin company some money...
:zipit:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Amen! I never stay offsite ever since I had a bad experince with a Quality, or Comfort, or something Inn on I-Drive back in 1995! Even away from Disney, it's always a Hampton, HI Express, Hyatt, etc. for me!

Call me spoiled but I can't handle flea-bag hotels/motels anymore!
:drevil:
I just want to know what I am getting. I'll never forget this "suite" I booked back in 1996-1997. It was an elegant suite just minutes away from WDW. It turned out to be a converted apartment. The couch in the living room was that green vinyl material you would commonly see in a principals office in the 70's-80's, the carpet was brown and the beds we so short my feet hung off the end and I am a staggering 5'9" tall. One thing about the place was correct though. It was minutes from WDW ..... roughly 45 of them.:brick:

PalisadesPkteer

Anyone know the name of the hotel that looks like it is right next to this one that burned.

If it is all torn down is the area so bad that you would not put a good hotel in that spot?

MnDisneyFan

Some good and some bad

There are good hotels-motels on 192. I would not stay past 192 & Polynesian isle, east side of WDW. West side the inns are not too bad. I would never stay at Home Suite Home or Hell Sweet Hell.

The problem with some of these places is they were once great places to stay. BUT Disney took away their business. Now they become cheap places to stay.
Too cheap. VL has had its problems now its gone. A place called Carefree Suites 192 & 535 cared so much that they did not pay its power bill. CLOSED. Oh a meth lab blew up there. TG no fire.

Now go north on SR 535 towards WDW at the Osceola Pkwy there is some good hotels and a new one being built.

There is a old Days Inn south of WDW right by the Target on 192 & 429. Its closed now, has been for years. I can think of at lest 3 property's that are closed for what ever reason.

WDW-Crazy

Several people here have mentioned that this motel that just burned was an Econo Lodge back around 2002? If I can remember correctly, we had booked an Econo Lodge on 192 near the WDW main entrance (World Drive Interchange), the night before our first day in WDW and our last night after our last full day in the parks. I remember the place being run down that we decided to not stay there that last night and start driving home. I'm now wondering if this was the place.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a Golden Corral near this area? I remember eating breakfast there the morning after we had stayed in the Econo Lodge and we're heading off to our first full day at WDW (staying at All Star Movies). Sort of an eerie feeling if this is indeed the same place we stayed in 2002.

Glen Quagmire

Several people here have mentioned that this motel that just burned was an Econo Lodge back around 2002? If I can remember correctly, we had booked an Econo Lodge on 192 near the WDW main entrance (World Drive Interchange), the night before our first day in WDW and our last night after our last full day in the parks. I remember the place being run down that we decided to not stay there that last night and start driving home. I'm now wondering if this was the place.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a Golden Corral near this area? I remember eating breakfast there the morning after we had stayed in the Econo Lodge and we're heading off to our first full day at WDW (staying at All Star Movies). Sort of an eerie feeling if this is indeed the same place we stayed in 2002.

In 2002 it would have had that same "Black Angus" place attached right to the front of it. I remember they had a bar in that place that served my friends and I every night we were there, we were 17.....not saying that's what we should have been doing but hey, it happened.

I also think their was an IHOP or something right on the other side of that empty grassy area, along with a place that sold beer(also with nonexistant carding practices). I'm a little sketchy on the details.

elisatonks

There is a golden corral about a block or to further east.

elisatonks

Saw the fire burning last night on my way home, at the time i thought it was a wildfire, of course I found out otherwise via the news. We could see the smoke from where I live this morning and that is a good 12 miles away. Traffic was chaos this morning with the road closed and nearly everyone trying to turn onto Sherbeth Rd to get to Osceola Parkway. (Three lanes of traffic trying to turn into one lane, and no cops at the junction, it was crazy and Sherbeth was just crawling. Took me 25 min just to get from the 192 junction to the osceola parkway junction, and there was no one controling traffic at the osceola junction either, I saw nearly 10 near misses at those junctions, i hear disney security did eventually get to osceola parkways junction with Sherbeth.)

For those of you not knowinf to well where the inn is it is on 192 going away from the I4 intersection when you turn off world drive, right across the road from IHOP.

Gracy_hm

Any hotel that is by the week rentals often has transient people living there most hard working good hearted people some are drug dealers and drug producers. Some are addicts and many other less than savory things. I was once told by someone (cant recall who) to steer clear of places like that. I am thankful everyone made it out alive looked to be a bad fire.

Disney Dawg88

Every hotel on Irlo Bronson is sketchy. That whole road is the sketchiest place in central Florida...well...apart from Orange Blossom Trail.

Completely agree. I ended up staying in a hotel over in that area for one night back in February as I was doing the Wild Animal Trek at AK early on a Saturday morning. I'm still kicking myself for trying to save $30 - $40 and not stay in a hotel on Hotel Blvd., a Disney value resort, or even using some of my Hilton points. I will NEVER drive over in that direction ever again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom