Masks and Social Distancing Go Away in WDW

When Masks and Social Distancing will go away in USA?

• Summer 2021

Votes: 45 10.5%
  • Fall/Winter 2021

Votes: 123 28.7%

Votes: 228 53.1%

Votes: 20 4.7%

Votes: 6 1.4%

Votes: 7 1.6%

• Total voters

MaryJaneP

Not true. The CDC lacks enforcement power to require people to wear a mask. They can strongly state that mask wearing is one of their preferred methods to achieve Covid transmission reductions, but they cannot do anything beyond stating so.

It is interesting that the darling of certain groups has changed her mind and is now touting that everyone should wear a mask. This Associated Press story doesn't seem to be an April Fools joke. Is this a flip flop?

Wed, March 31, 2021, 8:03 PM

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin says she tested positive for COVID-19 and is urging people to take steps to guard against the coronavirus, such as wearing masks in public.

Lilofan

I totally agree about the escape part. It's for that same reason we have stopped watching TV shows that dwell on the pandemic, have the actors wearing masks, etc. We want our entertainment to be an escape from reality.

Now, given some recent changes in policy across the USA, I'm more inclined to think that Disney may drop the mask and unsocial distancing before 2022, which was my original guess.
If that actually does happen WDW may expect huge crowds between Christmas thru NYE.

dmw

In the Parks
No
If that actually does happen WDW may expect huge crowds between Christmas thru NYE.
I think there are a lot of families who have missed taking vacations and when capacity restrictions lift, I think the flood gates will open on domestic destinations resulting in crowds like we've never seen before. Especially since international travel and cruises are so restrictive.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
I think there are a lot of families who have missed taking vacations and when capacity restrictions lift, I think the flood gates will open on domestic destinations resulting in crowds like we've never seen before. Especially since international travel and cruises are so restrictive.
I think there are a lot of people still weary of flying.

I live in the Outer Banks, an area that is a very popular summer (beach) vacation spot on the East coast... And this week we are having crowds the size of summer visiting. It's not usually this busy with renters this time of year. We have about 500+ people living here year round, most of us just got our first shot last month.

Because our destination is drive-able for so many, (we're also close to a national airport and a private airports), our crowds this past summer were the biggest in years. Rental companies were seeing 95% of their bookings filled thru August/ September. Thanksgiving and New Years came and brought the large crowds back for those weeks. And this week and last we see it again. Summer rentals for this year are already booked up.

bdearl41

This family is included in that. Granted we also went to CDMX, San Juan and I went to Vegas over the last year. 13 flights in all. No Covid.

bdearl41

I think there are a lot of people still weary of flying.

I live in the Outer Banks, an area that is a very popular summer (beach) vacation spot on the East coast... And this week we are having crowds the size of summer visiting. It's not usually this busy with renters this time of year. We have about 500+ people living here year round, most of us just got our first shot last month.

Because our destination is drive-able for so many, (we're also close to a national airport and a private airports), our crowds this past summer were the biggest in years. Rental companies were seeing 95% of their bookings filled thru August/ September. Thanksgiving and New Years came and brought the large crowds back for those weeks. And this week and last we see it again. Summer rentals for this year are already booked up.
The same is true in the mountains of NC. I actually think our state is having its best travel year ever since Covid.

Polkadotdress

Here in Georgia most business are now posting a sign with wording to the effect that anyone entering the business assumes all risks for getting Covid. I have no legal background to know if that would stand up in court, but I wonder if Disney were to post that on the web site, park entrances, etc., if they might decide to relax their protocols sooner than the CDC may advise.
No.

Don’t forget that a large reason why the guidelines are so strict at Disney is because they are also in place to protect the Cast.

Club Cooloholic

That’s where I disagree. I got my shots, so Covid is effectively over for me.

I am not my brothers keeper, they can protect themselves.
That doesn't mean you can't end up being your brothers undertaker. I hope they can say soon they know vaccinated people can't still spread it, or the majority of people are vaccinated, but not there yet so masks still serve a purpose.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Here in Georgia most business are now posting a sign with wording to the effect that anyone entering the business assumes all risks for getting Covid. I have no legal background to know if that would stand up in court, but I wonder if Disney were to post that on the web site, park entrances, etc., if they might decide to relax their protocols sooner than the CDC may advise.

Disney already does ..

1617451488187.png

pixie225

The same is true in the mountains of NC. I actually think our state is having its best travel year ever since Covid.
Here on Long Island the Hamptons are very happy with the amount of people who moved out of NYC and rented places there. Many businesses/restaurants that usually close during the winter stayed open to serve up one of their best years ever, while many NYC businesses are closing.

Walt Disney1955

I totally agree about the escape part. It's for that same reason we have stopped watching TV shows that dwell on the pandemic, have the actors wearing masks, etc. We want our entertainment to be an escape from reality.

Now, given some recent changes in policy across the USA, I'm more inclined to think that Disney may drop the mask and unsocial distancing before 2022, which was my original guess.

Well put it this way, we have spent our entire lives at baseball and hockey games for instance and had things written on the back of everyone of our tickets saying that objects could come flying into the stands at any notice. We all knew this, we all took the risk and in the case of baseball we all WANTED to be the one to catch the ball. Or tried to at least. You can't escape a foul ball in a ball park, it is impossible. If you go to Fenway Park there are a few balls each game - foul balls - that go behind home plate and actually over the roof backwards and land on the street. Or at least I think it lands on the street. Either way, I wondered the first time I went there why they closed that corner of the street off when the game starts. That's why.

So yeah, you just take that risk. We have spent our entire lives taking a risk that the person sitting next or behind you on Pirates of the Caribbean didn't have a cold. If he did have a cold we STILL went on the ride. We survived. Somewhere in 2020 we became so fearful of the smallest risks. I think for years we have been asking for this sort of treatment, what with the helicopter parenting styles and such. There are some people where living in a bubble like we have lived for the last year is right up their alley! Not mine though. I want to live, and life is more than just surviving.

How is it in Georgia? We are in Ontario and that is basically the worst restrictions in North America. No one is happy with it. But I like Georgia's approach. Take your own risk. Wear a mask if you choose, but don't force it on others. My guess is behind closed doors Disney is desperately waiting for Orange County to take that silly mask rule off the books, because Florida as a state doesn't have it. There is no way Disney wants to lose that advantage of customer service and smiles that they all had over everyone else.

Walt Disney1955

Here on Long Island the Hamptons are very happy with the amount of people who moved out of NYC and rented places there. Many businesses/restaurants that usually close during the winter stayed open to serve up one of their best years ever, while many NYC businesses are closing.

Manhattan is so..............sad to see right now. It goes to show you what happens with bad policies. Haven't been to NYC since 2011 but I miss it. Probably the greatest city in the world, or was at least.

That's us too. My cousin came with us for his first time to WDW in 2018. We often talk about when we can go back. The fall of 2021 is the best option but if things are normal then it might have to be March of 2022. But we are keeping an eye on things and if restrictions are gone we'll likely book tomorrow.

Lilofan

Well put it this way, we have spent our entire lives at baseball and hockey games for instance and had things written on the back of everyone of our tickets saying that objects could come flying into the stands at any notice. We all knew this, we all took the risk and in the case of baseball we all WANTED to be the one to catch the ball. Or tried to at least. You can't escape a foul ball in a ball park, it is impossible. If you go to Fenway Park there are a few balls each game - foul balls - that go behind home plate and actually over the roof backwards and land on the street. Or at least I think it lands on the street. Either way, I wondered the first time I went there why they closed that corner of the street off when the game starts. That's why.

So yeah, you just take that risk. We have spent our entire lives taking a risk that the person sitting next or behind you on Pirates of the Caribbean didn't have a cold. If he did have a cold we STILL went on the ride. We survived. Somewhere in 2020 we became so fearful of the smallest risks. I think for years we have been asking for this sort of treatment, what with the helicopter parenting styles and such. There are some people where living in a bubble like we have lived for the last year is right up their alley! Not mine though. I want to live, and life is more than just surviving.

How is it in Georgia? We are in Ontario and that is basically the worst restrictions in North America. No one is happy with it. But I like Georgia's approach. Take your own risk. Wear a mask if you choose, but don't force it on others. My guess is behind closed doors Disney is desperately waiting for Orange County to take that silly mask rule off the books, because Florida as a state doesn't have it. There is no way Disney wants to lose that advantage of customer service and smiles that they all had over everyone else.
You may think of it as a silly mask rule but I disagree. Orange County Mayor Demings went against Governor DeSantis and the mayor kept the mask mandate for Orange County. Disney readily supported.

Walt Disney1955

You may think of it as a silly mask rule but I disagree. Orange County Mayor Demings went against Governor DeSantis and the mayor kept the mask mandate for Orange County. Disney readily supported.
That's right, we disagree. When Orange County drops it, hopefully sooner rather than later because the U.S. is definitely going in the former direction with this, then I suspect Disney will also. I've heard that they aren't as strict as people may think with the masks (heard it doesn't get enforced on the Boardwalk for instance) from people who have been there. When the masks are gone or at the very least optional, I think you'll see a lot of people booking their trips, and that would include us. Disney isn't Disney with facial coverings. They lose so much of what makes them unique. The customer service, the smiling cast, not to mention the fireworks and parades are better than anywhere else. That's a lot of money for the Disney experience to not get the full Disney experience. So we'll wait, but I check up on it a lot and hope for the best.

Lilofan

That's right, we disagree. When Orange County drops it, hopefully sooner rather than later because the U.S. is definitely going in the former direction with this, then I suspect Disney will also. I've heard that they aren't as strict as people may think with the masks (heard it doesn't get enforced on the Boardwalk for instance) from people who have been there. When the masks are gone or at the very least optional, I think you'll see a lot of people booking their trips, and that would include us. Disney isn't Disney with facial coverings. They lose so much of what makes them unique. The customer service, the smiling cast, not to mention the fireworks and parades are better than anywhere else. That's a lot of money for the Disney experience to not get the full Disney experience. So we'll wait, but I check up on it a lot and hope for the best.
What's good about WDW back to almost fully operational is that a good amount of cast members have been recalled back to work . It is unfortunate some cast members at all levels of the company were not recalled back and were laid off.

Walt Disney1955

What's good about WDW back to almost fully operational is that a good amount of cast members have been recalled back to work . It is unfortunate some cast members at all levels of the company were not recalled back and were laid off.

Very much so. I am shifting gears here but there was a time when the Brooklyn Dodgers left Brooklyn - just two years after winning the World Series. Older Brooklynites to this day still don't like the Dodgers being in L.A. But it happened and it left a lot of loyal fans in the dust. This is what I was worried about with something such as Disneyland. WDW too, but especially Disneyland because it is only opening up this month. If Disneyland closed due to the pandemic there isn't a darn thing anyone can do about it no matter how much we would be sad. And since I love that place a lot, like many of us do who have been there, it worried me that there could be a time when it just simply doesn't open anymore.

Up here near Toronto we love Canada's Wonderland. Great place. Never opened in 2020 though even though Cedar Point did. We hope it opens this year, but if it doesn't how much longer before the place goes bankrupt?

pixie225

So yeah, you just take that risk. We have spent our entire lives taking a risk that the person sitting next or behind you on Pirates of the Caribbean didn't have a cold. If he did have a cold we STILL went on the ride.
I giggled when I read this, because - no matter how careful we are/were - every time we went on vacation to an amusement park, or on a cruise, one of us came back sick with something- stomach virus, strep, bronchitis, etc. And that was with hand-washing and sanitizer - even back then. Now it will be with masks, hand-washing/sanitizer, and trying to social distance. Will be interesting to see what happens when we go to Disney 5/1. No one in my family has been sick in the past year, which is a first, except my city daughter who had covid in March 2020.

Walt Disney1955

As far as I am concerned, that should be all you need. In a perfect world we all agree that this is all that is needed. Just like the baseball stadium analogy I used a few posts up. It is just that we spent our whole lives choosing ourselves to not go to a baseball game, or to not sit in a place where a foul ball would come, and it seemed to work alright. We should do the same at a theme park.

celluloid

We are pretty much at the point where half of major attractions are loading every row so capacity has increased, which means the lines will move a little quicker and duration in queues spent less. As long as the masks are worn completely and some distance attempt is made, the masses getting vaccinated and research for treatments carried out, things are only likely going to grow closer to normal from here on out.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom