1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's "New Warriors" featuring Squirrel Girl coming to Freeform

Discussion in 'Animation, Movies, TV' started by RandomPrincess, Apr 5, 2017.

1. RandomPrincess

RandomPrincess Keep Moving Forward Premium Member

https://news.marvel.com/tv/62577/marvels-new-warriors-headed-freeform-straight-series-order/

Freeform, Marvel Television and ABC Signature today announced their second project together, “Marvel’s New Warriors,” a new comedic live-action adaptation of the popular Marvel comic featuring young adult heroes. This marks Marvel’s first foray into comedy for a television series. The network has ordered ten 30-minute episodes slated to debut 2018.

“Marvel’s New Warriors” is about six young people with powers living and working together. With powers and abilities on the opposite end of the spectrum of The Avengers, the New Warriors want to make a difference in the world… Even if the world isn’t ready. Not quite super, not yet heroes, “Marvel’s New Warriors” is about that time in your life when you first enter adulthood and feel like you can do everything and nothing at once — except in this world, bad guys can be as terrifying as bad dates.
    --------------
    No word on the other characters yet.....

2. Flippin'Flounder

Flippin'Flounder Well-Known Member

:confused:

Will this be part of the MCU? I assume so...

Princess Leia likes this.
  3. SosoDude

SosoDude Well-Known Member

I liked the New Warriors comic back in the day. I didn't realize it was popular enough to garner a TV show, but I look forward to it.

4. RandomPrincess

RandomPrincess Keep Moving Forward Original Poster Premium Member

Seems weird to have a 30 minute comedy in the MCU.

Flippin'Flounder likes this.
  5. RandomPrincess

RandomPrincess Keep Moving Forward Original Poster Premium Member

I wonder if this is a way to get new younger characters in front of the teen/ya Viewers that love them without having to invest in a movie.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Princess Leia and SosoDude like this.
  6. doctornick

doctornick Well-Known Member

I love that they are actually doing a live action Squirrel Girl, but I don't think she's ever been an actual New Warriors member. Which is fine, I guess -- the Defenders for Netflix is really pretty different from the comic book group -- but I was hoping to see her get her own solo and revel in the absurdity.

Princess Leia likes this.
  7. Princess Leia

Princess Leia Well-Known Member

Anna Kendrick in particular will be upset. She said she wanted to play her in a movie.

8. Matt_Black

Matt_Black Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Nova is out; I'd imagine they might want to save him for a movie, either standalone or a spot in someone else's films (like GOTG). There's no way they could do justice to Speedball on a TV budget. Namorita is also probably out; Marvel has dropped hints that the Namor film rights have been sorted out, and if they were in the clear to use her, they wouldn't jump the gun until after a Namor film. The Power Pack characters could be in it, but they really deserve their own film or series.

9. Princess Leia

Princess Leia Well-Known Member

SosoDude likes this.
  10. Matt_Black

Matt_Black Well-Known Member

Reading the character descriptions, I don't have much hope. Night Thrasher isn't some reality star! He's a driven, Batman-esque character... with a skateboard, admittedly.