Marvel

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
They will save money by paying for his personal appearances with cheap plastic souvenirs and constructing the ride from spare pieces of Space Mountain track.

Feed him beans and use his f#rts in SGE. Savings potential abounds....

Krack

You're right, Disney is a bumbling idiot and Universal is clairvoyant enough to predict ten years ago that Disney would buy out Marvel. So Uni made sure they used all the popular characters in their park to keep Disney from making money...

Or Uni built a park with the most successful portions of a comic book franchise with really no foresight into future other than what would appeal to the general population.

Hard to tell really.

Yeah, I never said they were doing it because of specific concerns about Disney; that's just you being paranoid because you saw an opportunity to troll me and didn't have the time to read the sentence you felt necessary to quote.

Universal had just leased intellectual property. They would have been negligent if they didn't take the measures available to block the future lease of this property by Marvel to Disney, Six Flags and other regional theme park operators. It would have (and obviously was) one of their primary concerns.

Krack

From what I understand, Universal cannot add any new Marvel characters or attractions without the permission of Marvel. This means that they will not be allowed to expand or improve on the land in the future. Why would they want to keep a group of characters in their parks with such restrictions and where they have to pay their rival royalties?

This is a popular misconception. The contract explicitly allows Universal to build new rides and attractions within the park. The only caveat is that Marvel can block a specific use of a character if the proposed use is inconsistent with the character's use within the Marvel comic book universe. For example, Universal could build a Captain America ride tomorrow, but it couldn't make the depiction of Captain America a woman with a polka-dot shield.

Also, as you pointed out, Universal is actually contractually obligated to perform reasonable routine maintenance in the Marvel area.

jakeman

Yeah, I never said they were doing it because of specific concerns about Disney; that's just you being paranoid because you saw an opportunity to troll me and didn't have the time to read the sentence you felt necessary to quote.
Paranoid? I must be taking lessons from you.

Universal had just leased intellectual property. They would have been negligent if they didn't take the measures available to block the future lease of this property by Marvel to Disney, Six Flags and other regional theme park operators. It would have (and obviously was) one of their primary concerns.
Don't you think that this one little niche of WDW and Uni in the vast company that is Disney was taken into consideration?

I find it hard to believe that one land in one theme park would affect Disney's decision to acquire Marvel.

Which would make more money? A successful movie that makes hundreds of millions of dollars, or losing a handful of guest to the park down the road?

While you haven't said anything specific, you are implying that you think this is a bad deal. I disagree.

Now since we are both extremely paranoid apparently, would you like to swap tin foil hat fashion tips?

Krack

While you haven't said anything specific, you are implying that you think this is a bad deal. I disagree.

No, I think the deal is great. I just accept that it doesn't make much sense for either company for Disney to try and by Universal out of the contract. And since Universal's portion of the contract is only going to become more valuable as Disney puts their weight behind marketing the Marvel characters through film and television and video games, I accept that it will likely not make sense for a deal to be made between the two parties for a very, very long time.

But the domestic theme park rights are a minuscule portion of the entire value of the Marvel company. And Disney otherwise got a great deal on the value of the company - I bet they make back half the purchase price on just films over the next 10 years. And characters like the Hulk and Spiderman will still be household names 50 years from now.

Of course, I could be wrong and Disney could spend an ultra-premium to Universal to buy out the contract tomorrow. But I don't see it happening. If you're Universal, why would you sell back the rights unless it's for enough money to completely re-build the "land" in another hot property theme, like the Transformers or Avatar (including paying for rights to the property) - plus an additional premium? And if you're Disney, why would you pay all that money when you'd just have to spend more on top of it to build a land (or a park) to effectively use the characters? Especially when Disney is making money right now off of the property by leasing it to Universal without spending anything additional.

WV_Jayola

Oh the old Marvel conundrum getting fan boys frothing at the gash.

Lets face it how could Disney build a Marvel attraction that was suitable for its core 8 year old customers.

If you honestly think that Marvel's core customers are 8 year olds...you need to take a stroll around any comic book convention or comic shop in America. Comic companies would love to have that demographic back, but it's just not there. Comic books are an old mans game now. Sad but true. I'm a 30+ year old comic fan, and I can tell you that I am VERY much representative of 90% of the comic book buying audience. Comics are mostly only distributed through the direct market (i.e. comic book shops) now, with books no longer appearing on news stands. So the only way Jr. can get his comic books is if he goes into a comic book store, which tend to be populated by older guys like me.
So I'm just saying....your quote, while attempting to be funny, was actually just inaccurate.

I wish that 8 year olds were buying comics again... I really do. Hopefully someday, Disney can bust up the Diamond Distribution standard and fix this situation. I hate to see the sequential artform i hold so dear grow old and die with it's current fanbase..

jeff.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
If you honestly think that Marvel's core customers are 8 year olds...you need to take a stroll around any comic book convention or comic shop in America. Comic companies would love to have that demographic back, but it's just not there. Comic books are an old mans game now. Sad but true. I'm a 30+ year old comic fan, and I can tell you that I am VERY much representative of 90% of the comic book buying audience. Comics are mostly only distributed through the direct market (i.e. comic book shops) now, with books no longer appearing on news stands. So the only way Jr. can get his comic books is if he goes into a comic book store, which tend to be populated by older guys like me.
So I'm just saying....your quote, while attempting to be funny, was actually just inaccurate.

I wish that 8 year olds were buying comics again... I really do. Hopefully someday, Disney can bust up the Diamond Distribution standard and fix this situation. I hate to see the sequential artform i hold so dear grow old and die with it's current fanbase..

jeff.

Try reading the quote again. He was insinuating that 8 year-olds were Disney's core market, not the other way around. Rant for naught, I'm afraid.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

jeff.

s_3281.jpg

lebeau

No, I think the deal is great. I just accept that it doesn't make much sense for either company for Disney to try and by Universal out of the contract. And since Universal's portion of the contract is only going to become more valuable as Disney puts their weight behind marketing the Marvel characters through film and television and video games, I accept that it will likely not make sense for a deal to be made between the two parties for a very, very long time.

But the domestic theme park rights are a minuscule portion of the entire value of the Marvel company. And Disney otherwise got a great deal on the value of the company - I bet they make back half the purchase price on just films over the next 10 years. And characters like the Hulk and Spiderman will still be household names 50 years from now.

Of course, I could be wrong and Disney could spend an ultra-premium to Universal to buy out the contract tomorrow. But I don't see it happening. If you're Universal, why would you sell back the rights unless it's for enough money to completely re-build the "land" in another hot property theme, like the Transformers or Avatar (including paying for rights to the property) - plus an additional premium? And if you're Disney, why would you pay all that money when you'd just have to spend more on top of it to build a land (or a park) to effectively use the characters? Especially when Disney is making money right now off of the property by leasing it to Universal without spending anything additional.

Quoted for truth!

cheezbat

So I visited Islands of Adventure today and looked all over Marvel Superhero Island...and saw everybody you could think of - including Black Panther.

But there was ONE character I could not find in an attraction or on atrwork in the island: Doctor Strange.

So there ya go Disney. You can make a Dr Strange ride and have a Dr Strange walkaround since Universal isn't using him! :ROFLOL:

trr1

So I visited Islands of Adventure today and looked all over Marvel Superhero Island...and saw everybody you could think of - including Black Panther.

But there was ONE character I could not find in an attraction or on atrwork in the island: Doctor Strange.

So there ya go Disney. You can make a Dr Strange ride and have a Dr Strange walkaround since Universal isn't using him! :ROFLOL:
any pictures ?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Disney could buy out the Universal rights and build their own attractions like Spiderman, but the problem would be inevitable comparison. Spiderman at IOA is one of the best attractions ever made (I'm sure most people would put it at least in the top 5) and Disney would have to do something to top that.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Disney could buy out the Universal rights and build their own attractions like Spiderman, but the problem would be inevitable comparison. Spiderman at IOA is one of the best attractions ever made (I'm sure most people would put it at least in the top 5) and Disney would have to do something to top that.

If Disney bought out Spiderman all they would do is build a Meet-N-Greet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom