Marvel Studios' Daredevil: Born Again

_caleb

Good. Personally I’m not a fan of the grimdark aesthetic that is often used for Daredevil since the Miller run in the 1980s.
I agree. I think there should be room in the MCU for a Dark Knight-style hero, but I don't think it should be /Daredevil and I don't want characters to go back and forth (like Netflix DD vs. She-Hulk DD).

doctornick

I agree. I think there should be room in the MCU for a Dark Knight-style hero, but I don't think it should be /Daredevil and I don't want characters to go back and forth (like Netflix DD vs. She-Hulk DD).
I think Moon Knight would have been the good choice for that, though it didn’t lean as heavily into it as it could have.

I really liked the characterization for Matt Murdock in She-Hulk. I’m excited they seem to plan to continue that.

Phroobar

I think Moon Knight would have been the good choice for that, though it didn’t lean as heavily into it as it could have.

I really liked the characterization for Matt Murdock in She-Hulk. I’m excited they seem to plan to continue that.
Don't forget Matt Murdock was Peter Parker's attorney in No Way Home.

MarvelCharacterNerd

We'll always have Netflix...

I mean... those shows (since they're all on Disney+ now!). :)

I wouldn't expect Disney to make anything like the Netflix shows - most basically because it's not the same writers' rooms. That said, since I thought Luke Cage, Daredevil and Punisher were pretty darned perfect, I will mourn the loss of those brilliant characterizations and consider these a different multiverse interpretation of the characters, which I hope to at least enjoy but don't expect to love nearly as much even if I still love the actors in the roles. The writing matters.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"Nikki M. James (The Book of Mormon) has been cast in Marvel’s upcoming revival series on Disney+, Daredevil: Born Again, Deadline has learned.

Details regarding her character are being kept under wraps. Marvel declined to comment."

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"Jon Bernthal is returning to his most punishing role. The actor will reprise Frank Castle, aka anti-hero The Punisher, in Marvel Studios’ Daredevil: Born Again, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Bernthal joins Charlie and Vincent D’Onofrio in the series, which begins shooting in New York this month. As opposed to other Marvel series, which come in at six or nine episodes per season, Born Again is planned as a whopping 18-episode epic. Writers and executive producers Matt Corman and Chris Ord are behind the show which is expected to bow in the spring of 2024."

Full article below.

MarvelCharacterNerd

"Jon Bernthal is returning to his most punishing role. The actor will reprise Frank Castle, aka anti-hero The Punisher, in Marvel Studios’ Daredevil: Born Again, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Bernthal joins Charlie and Vincent D’Onofrio in the series, which begins shooting in New York this month. As opposed to other Marvel series, which come in at six or nine episodes per season, Born Again is planned as a whopping 18-episode epic. Writers and executive producers Matt Corman and Chris Ord are behind the show which is expected to bow in the spring of 2024."

Full article below.

Me when I first saw that headline earlier: 😍😍😍

Me remembering Kingpin in Hawkeye and Daredevil in She-Hulk: 😭😭😭

Me trying to convince myself these are multiverse variants of the characters I loved and not to expect them to be like the originals: 😰😰😰

Me remembering I can just go watch the Netflix shows instead: :inlove::inlove::inlove:

_caleb

Me when I first saw that headline earlier: 😍😍😍

Me remembering Kingpin in Hawkeye and Daredevil in She-Hulk: 😭😭😭

Me trying to convince myself these are multiverse variants of the characters I loved and not to expect them to be like the originals: 😰😰😰

Me remembering I can just go watch the Netflix shows instead: :inlove::inlove::inlove:
I’m hopeful that they’ll make this iteration of both more like they are in the comics. Bernthal isn’t quite as imposing as I think Punisher should be, but I really liked his performance in the Netflix series, so I’m excited about this!

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"Arty Froushan (Carnival Row) has a major role in Marvel’s upcoming revival series on Disney+, Daredevil: Born Again, Deadline has learned. Word of Froushan’s casting comes after on-set photo of Vince D’Onofrio leaked online included a glimpse of Froushan.

Details about the character are being kept under wraps but Froushan is believed to be playing Harry, one of the main characters opposite Charlie and D’Onofrio. He appears to be an associate of D’Onofrio’s Wilson Fisk in the photo, which also supports the popular theory that the show will be following the Mayor Fisk Marvel Comics arc. Marvel declined to comment."

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"Daredevil: Born Again, Marvel’s upcoming revival on Disney+, is the latest New York-based TV series whose production has been disrupted by the WGA strike.

“WGA members on strike set up a sunrise picket at Silvercup East, where they’re supposed to be filming Daredevil, but members of the Teamster Local 817 and IATSE Locals 829 and 52 are refusing to cross the picket line,” WGA East said on Twitter early Monday.

According to sources, the show wrapped for the day after 1 PM ET with no filming done for the day. Production is slated to continue tomorrow, sources said."

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"Clark Johnson (Evil, Bosch) is set to recur and direct two episodes of the upcoming Disney+ series Daredevil: Born Again, Deadline has learned.

Details about the character are being kept under wraps, but Johnson is believed to be playing Cherry. Marvel declined to comment."

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Daredevil: Born Again is reportedly shutting down production until the writers strike ends.

"Daredevil: Born Again and The Penguin finally have thrown in the towel: Deadline has learned that the Disney+ series and the Max drama will remain on pause until the end of the WGA Strike — whenever that may be.

New York-based writers routinely have picketed the Marvel series Daredevil outside of its base at Silvercup East. Production repeatedly has been shut down on the drama, most recently on June 12. Production on the revival was previously paused by sunrise picketing when members of the Teamster Local 817 and IATSE Locals 829 and 52 refused to cross the line. It was then suspended for the rest of the week."

-----

"Daredevil: Born Again, which has been filming in and around New York, is three months into an eight-month shoot on an 18-episode new season for Disney+. Written and executive produced by Matt Corman and Chris Ord, who cannot provide writing services on set due to the strike, the new installment centers on Charlie ’s Daredevil aka Matt Murdock, an attorney by day and crimefighter by night. Vince D’Onofrio reprises his role as mob boss Wilson Fisk aka Kingpin."

Full article below.

Tha Realest

Daredevil: Born Again is reportedly shutting down production until the writers strike ends.

"Daredevil: Born Again and The Penguin finally have thrown in the towel: Deadline has learned that the Disney+ series and the Max drama will remain on pause until the end of the WGA Strike — whenever that may be.

New York-based writers routinely have picketed the Marvel series Daredevil outside of its base at Silvercup East. Production repeatedly has been shut down on the drama, most recently on June 12. Production on the revival was previously paused by sunrise picketing when members of the Teamster Local 817 and IATSE Locals 829 and 52 refused to cross the line. It was then suspended for the rest of the week."

-----

"Daredevil: Born Again, which has been filming in and around New York, is three months into an eight-month shoot on an 18-episode new season for Disney+. Written and executive produced by Matt Corman and Chris Ord, who cannot provide writing services on set due to the strike, the new installment centers on Charlie ’s Daredevil aka Matt Murdock, an attorney by day and crimefighter by night. Vince D’Onofrio reprises his role as mob boss Wilson Fisk aka Kingpin."

Full article below.

Three months of filming flushed down the drain. Yikes.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Its not a complete loss, according to the article they will be reusing what was shot, even whole episodes, while reworking the rest of the show -

"Marvel plans to keep some scenes and episodes, though other serialized elements will be injected"

Remember this was suppose to be the longest MCU D+ show at something like 18 episodes.

It also sounds like they've learned after recent shows had viewership issues and are hopefully moving toward more traditional television such as having a showrunner for each show and actual TV executives rather than the movie executive producers to manage things.

"It also is revamping its development process. Showrunners will write pilots and show bibles. The days of Marvel shooting an entire series, from She-Hulk to Secret Invasion, then looking at what’s working and what’s not, are done."

This will hopefully also bring down the budgets on these shows.

"And just as Loki, which returned Oct. 5, marked Marvel’s first season two of a series (out of nine TV shows to date), the studio plans on leaning into the idea of multiseason serialized TV, stepping away from the limited-series format that has defined it. Marvel wants to create shows that run several seasons, where characters can take time to develop relationships with the audience rather than feeling as if they are there as a setup for a big crossover event."

So they will be doing what a lot here complained wasn't happening, giving story arcs time to develop instead of trying to squeeze everything into the last episode. They are listening to the fans, and making changes as needed to improve things. This all seems positive to me, and hopefully leads to a better product.

Last edited:

_caleb

I like the idea of making the shows more serialized and I know they need to reduce costs, but I hope they don't lose the more movie-like production values. If they start shooting all the action scenes on a backlot or reusing sequences, we're in trouble.

The Hulk GIF

Tha Realest

Its not a complete loss, according to the article they will be reusing what was shot, even whole episodes, while reworking the rest of the show -

"Marvel plans to keep some scenes and episodes, though other serialized elements will be injected"

Remember this was suppose to be the longest MCU D+ show at something like 18 episodes.

It also sounds like they've learned after recent shows had viewership issues and are hopefully moving toward more traditional television such as having a showrunner for each show and actual TV executives rather than the movie executive producers to manage things.

"It also is revamping its development process. Showrunners will write pilots and show bibles. The days of Marvel shooting an entire series, from She-Hulk to Secret Invasion, then looking at what’s working and what’s not, are done."

This will hopefully also bring down the budgets on these shows.

"And just as Loki, which returned Oct. 5, marked Marvel’s first season two of a series (out of nine TV shows to date), the studio plans on leaning into the idea of multiseason serialized TV, stepping away from the limited-series format that has defined it. Marvel wants to create shows that run several seasons, where characters can take time to develop relationships with the audience rather than feeling as if they are there as a setup for a big crossover event."

So they will be doing what a lot here complained wasn't happening, giving story arcs time to develop instead of trying to squeeze everything into the last episode. They are listening to the fans, and making changes as needed to improve things. This all seems positive to me, and hopefully leads to a better product.
Possibly. Is it a complete sunk cost? Not necessarily. But maybe the old footage doesnt fit into the new vision. It sounds like it’s a complete shakeup of the concept, given the full turnover in the creative team. It will have its own preproduction and writing budget. Either way, a large amount of the budget for the previous series has been expended, and that’s going to be tough to recoup.

I do think they’ve hit the pause button on the broader MCU for now, likely to ensure a baseline quality

doctornick

Ugh. Good and bad. Hopefully they are learning some valuable lessons that TV shows aren't just long movies cut into parts.

Ironically, superhero shows are tailor made for TV with episodic qualities ("villain of the week" type concepts) that can easily coalesce into a season long (or multiple season) storyline.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Possibly. Is it a complete sunk cost? Not necessarily. But maybe the old footage doesnt fit into the new vision. It sounds like it’s a complete shakeup of the concept, given the full turnover in the creative team. It will have its own preproduction and writing budget. Either way, a large amount of the budget for the previous series has been expended, and that’s going to be tough to recoup.

I do think they’ve hit the pause button on the broader MCU for now, likely to ensure a baseline quality
Well they reuse what they can and scrap the rest (or save it for future seasons), that is how you recoup what has already been filmed/spent. As it doesn't sound like they are scraping the entire concept just the direction this particular team was taking with it.

In fact it appears the same creative team will become executive producers on the project instead. So they will still be around. So yeah that leads me to believe they are keeping the same concept, just going in a different direction with the story creatively.

And really a different direction in terms of how they produce MCU D+ shows going forward. That is the big take away here, they are changing how they produce these things again hopefully for the better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom