Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Phroobar

Wait, *you're* castle park has *benches*??? You lucky bastions!!
Pbcr.gif

nevol

Marvel land started out as such a priority they were going to reroute the monorail to expand dca northward, while building the eastern gateway. There was to be a captain america coaster. Then, an avengers coaster. Then Guardians happened, eastern gateway failed. We saw patents for a pendulum swinging ride system, that Jim Hill still believed was the ride we were getting as recently as a few months ago. Value engineering and operations concerns and eastern gateway have watered this thing down to an elaborate shooter dark ride for the time being, as all of the marvel expansions are on a shared budget. Downtown Disney architecture, microbrew, and a shooter. I would rather get nothing at all, let the land be the attraction, then get a few mediocre attractions that nobody asked for due to budget constraints. It's like they've forgotten that Universal has their own marvel land in orlando with one of the best dark rides ever created. Somebody ought to explain to Chapek that you can release a bad movie, but you can't open a bad theme park attraction. Bad movies disappear from theaters after a few weeks. Bad theme park attractions sit there wasting valuable real estate for decades.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Original Poster
Marvel land started out as such a priority they were going to reroute the monorail to expand dca northward, while building the eastern gateway. There was to be a captain america coaster. Then, an avengers coaster. Then Guardians happened, eastern gateway failed. We saw patents for a pendulum swinging ride system, that Jim Hill still believed was the ride we were getting as recently as a few months ago. Value engineering and operations concerns and eastern gateway have watered this thing down to an elaborate shooter dark ride for the time being, as all of the marvel expansions are on a shared budget. Downtown Disney architecture, microbrew, and a shooter. I would rather get nothing at all, let the land be the attraction, then get a few mediocre attractions that nobody asked for due to budget constraints. It's like they've forgotten that Universal has their own marvel land in orlando with one of the best dark rides ever created. Somebody ought to explain to Chapek that you can release a bad movie, but you can't open a bad theme park attraction. Bad movies disappear from theaters after a few weeks. Bad theme park attractions sit there wasting valuable real estate for decades.

I mean the big attraction is still coming, theoretically. I think we still just don't have enough details still and that's driving the dissatisfaction. Hong Kong is pretty much doing the exact same weird rollout, but is much more easily forgiven because the big shiny thing they promised all the way out in 2023 we at least know about.

Realistically the Spiderman and Ant Man attractions are a wash and Mission breakout (placement, visual intrusion, overlay aside is probably a better attraction than the Iron Man Experience). But Hong Kong's implementation is talked about positively and DCA is screwing it up. Even though Hong Kong's buildout is Jan 2017-2023 and DCA's is May 2017-?2021/22.

Eastern Gateway totally screwed the pooch though on timing.

By D23 They just need to come forward and commit to either the big E-ticket coaster or even a Rise of the Rebellion like attraction HK is supposedly doing for people to have something actually meaty to look forward to.

MistaDee

My disappointment has more to do with the Circuit City/Downtown Disney aesthetic that seems to cut closer to the Pixar Pier/Toy Story Land IP-on-a-budget tactic than the Pandora/Galaxy's Edge IP-as-immersion philosophy that DCA so desperately lacks. I think Cars Land's success (as the only truly immersive land in DCA) makes obvious that this is what the park was really lacking.

While a promise of an E-ticket is certainly heartening, ultimately, what I really hoped for DCA was the ability to immerse myself in a different world - be it another time, place or universe. Ultimately, the lack of world-building within the MCU makes this a difficult proposition, but nonetheless I think that is the source of my disappointment.

All that said - would you point me in the direction of the details/rumors you mentioned regarding a RotR style Avenger's experience in Hong Kong? I haven't seen anything like that myself. Finally, I'd be curious to know if any other inklings have slipped out about the Spiderman attraction. I understand it's planned to be built in Paris as well - which gives me some hope that there will be at least a few features that elevate it beyond the predictably underwhelming Ant-Man experience headed for HK.

MistaDee

Absolutely, that's why Marvel is such a tough IP for the parks - either it becomes a Tomorrowland type future area, you spring for Asgard or Wakanda - or you end up where we ostensibly are: Circuit City/Downtown Disney.

The Stark Industries backstory may give the land some sense of history or a time and place but I can't help but feel it will be underwhelming. I would have much preferred some sort of Wakanda presence given California's history with the Black Panther's and Oakland's appearance in the film.

At the very least some of the interiors could be quite interesting - I think the lobby area of Mission Breakout does a good job on that front (overlay concerns aside) and Dr. Strange's house could be interesting as well.

MistaDee

Marvel movies don't hold the standard of quality and righteousness that stories should, thus they don't belong even in the cinemas let alone at somewhere as good as Disneyland.

I suspect that Marvel movies might not be the only IP or even attraction that fail to live up to this standard. How would you define this standard?

TROR

I suspect that Marvel movies might not be the only IP or even attraction that fail to live up to this standard. How would you define this standard?
My basic complaint with Marvel movies is their crude and unintelligent 'jokes' with references to , orgies, etc.

Ismael Flores

Marvel land started out as such a priority they were going to reroute the monorail to expand dca northward, while building the eastern gateway. There was to be a captain america coaster. Then, an avengers coaster. Then Guardians happened, eastern gateway failed.

hadn't said anything on the boards but the eastern gateway is not a complete failed project.
i know people involved with some of the contractors that do work for Disney and from what i had heard they were resubmitting price proposals for a new Hub transportation, parking and entrance area for the resort.
they couldnt go into details but sounded like the plans are to revisit the project not to far after the western gateway is done.

Their goal is to claim the eastern hub for park expansion Asap because as you mentioned the postponement of the project caused drastic changes and delays in DCA expansion plans.

if proposals are being resubmitted already then maybe it wont be long before they approach the city again

Last edited:

Curious Constance

My basic complaint with Marvel movies is their crude and unintelligent 'jokes' with references to ***********, orgies, etc.
Was watching Thor 2? 3? 23? with my kids when the orgy joke happened. My son asks me what that means, I pretend I don’t know because I don’t want to explain it to him because he’s too young, he gets up to go google it.........................................STOP!!!! 🤣

Disney Irish

Premium Member
been keeping this info off the boards but

hadnt said anything on the boards but the eastern gateway is not a complete failed project.
i know people involved with some of the contractors that do work for Disney ans from what i had heard they were resubmitting price proposals for a new Hub transportation, parking and entrance area for the resort.
they couldnt go into details but sounded like the plana are to revisit the project not to far after the western gateway is done.

Their goal is to claim the eastern hub for park expansion Asap because as you mentioned the postponement of the project caused frastic changes and delays in DCA expansion plans.

if proposals are being resubmitted already then maybe it wont be long before they approach the city again

So if your contact is to be believed, it lines up with what we already know. @Darkbeer1 indicated that it was just a matter of time before Eastern Gateway would be resubmitted to the City, but would probably not be until after summer. So if that is accelerated a bit like late spring/early summer, even better.

Ismael Flores

So if your contact is to be believed, it lines up with what we already know. @Darkbeer1 indicated that it was just a matter of time before Eastern Gateway would be resubmitted to the City, but would probably not be until after summer. So if that is accelerated a bit like late spring/early summer, even better.

seems like it, im not sure how much time in advance they normally submit cost proposals before a project moves ahead. last person i spoke to owns the construxtion company and i happenes to catch him at a time when he was working on the proposal. he didn’t want to say much about it and i respect that ans talked about something else.

all he said was a new shuttle and transportation hub and parking area and guest area

BrianLo

Original Poster
My disappointment has more to do with the Circuit City/Downtown Disney aesthetic that seems to cut closer to the Pixar Pier/Toy Story Land IP-on-a-budget tactic than the Pandora/Galaxy's Edge IP-as-immersion philosophy that DCA so desperately lacks. I think Cars Land's success (as the only truly immersive land in DCA) makes obvious that this is what the park was really lacking.

While a promise of an E-ticket is certainly heartening, ultimately, what I really hoped for DCA was the ability to immerse myself in a different world - be it another time, place or universe. Ultimately, the lack of world-building within the MCU makes this a difficult proposition, but nonetheless I think that is the source of my disappointment.

All that said - would you point me in the direction of the details/rumors you mentioned regarding a RotR style Avenger's experience in Hong Kong? I haven't seen anything like that myself. Finally, I'd be curious to know if any other inklings have slipped out about the Spiderman attraction. I understand it's planned to be built in Paris as well - which gives me some hope that there will be at least a few features that elevate it beyond the predictably underwhelming Ant-Man experience headed for HK.

It's this attraction I'm referencing. It was initially thought to be a coaster, but I think a few people pipped up that it was more RotR styled. @GiveMeTheMusic perhaps?

2023_marvel-1200x685.jpg

The entire HK buildout is the Shanghai apology tour. From a bigger castle, to a sorry your version of buzz sucked here's a new one, to sorry your Fantasyland sucks here's more attractions. The Marvel attraction is the sorry you don't have an epically scaled E-ticket like Shanghai Pirates.

I don't think AntMan will be underwhelming. Shanghai's Buzz is actually a very good iteration and this seems to borrow heavily. It's still a D-ticket and still a shooter attraction, maybe that's its downfall amongst opinions.

In terms of DCA I don't think we'll get the immersion with the current crop of characters. The only thing I would find immersive is Wakanda, as you mentioned. That said, while we have the aesthetic of the Spiderman attraction, we actually have yet to see anything of the land itself.

GiveMeTheMusic

It's this attraction I'm referencing. It was initially thought to be a coaster, but I think a few people pipped up that it was more RotR styled. @GiveMeTheMusic perhaps?

2023_marvel-1200x685.jpg

The entire HK buildout is the Shanghai apology tour. From a bigger castle, to a sorry your version of buzz sucked here's a new one, to sorry your Fantasyland sucks here's more attractions. The Marvel attraction is the sorry you don't have an epically scaled E-ticket like Shanghai Pirates.

I don't think AntMan will be underwhelming. Shanghai's Buzz is actually a very good iteration and this seems to borrow heavily. It's still a D-ticket and still a shooter attraction, maybe that's its downfall amongst opinions.

In terms of DCA I don't think we'll get the immersion with the current crop of characters. The only thing I would find immersive is Wakanda, as you mentioned. That said, while we have the aesthetic of the Spiderman attraction, we actually have yet to see anything of the land itself.

I don't know RotR stands for. Am I high? I don't know much about the HKDL ride, but I was led to believe it is not a coaster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom