Marvel characters

lazyboy97o

Read the contact from the start. I already posted it and it clearly describes the two parties.
No, you posted a description. Nothing in that says anything about what Universal can or cannot do. There are lines about how they must build the Second Gate. How they must build a second land or lose global rights. How they must maintain the land. Nothing says they cannot build more theme parks at the Universal Orlando Resort.

seascape

Original Poster
No, you posted a description. Nothing in that says anything about what Universal can or cannot do. There are lines about how they must build the Second Gate. How they must build a second land or lose global rights. How they must maintain the land. Nothing says they cannot build more theme parks at the Universal Orlando Resort.
I disagree with you and believe it would be a legal matter if Universal tried to build a 3rd gate without a new contract which would cost a fortune or them giving up the rights. We may never know because Universal would have to try and do it and I don't think they will.

lazyboy97o

I disagree with you and believe it would be a legal matter if Universal tried to build a 3rd gate without a new contract which would cost a fortune or them giving up the rights. We may never know because Universal would have to try and do it and I don't think they will.
We do know because the contract is right there without any lengths of text redacted.

lazyboy97o

I am not saying universal can't expand it is just that if they do it will harm marvel and marvel can claim damages.
Damages regarding what? They're characters are still be presented as required. Their still being paid their fees as required. Marvel loses nothing in a third gate.

StageFrenzy

Hi @seascape , you realize we have had several of these threads since Disney bought marvel? Most of them posting how someone understands how Disney could get the rights back and it will definitely happen tomorrow because pixie dust. The realist board consensus is the contract is iron tight and Disney will have the theme park rights back when:

1. Universal doesn't like money and doesn't care about the marvel characters anymore.
or
2. Disney backs up multiple dump trunks filled with cash at Uni headquarters.

seascape

Original Poster
I know there have been lots of threads on this. I also know as long as Universal follows the contrat that Disney can't do anything about it. However read the contract which universal has to follow and it clearly states percentages of the park and that it is a 2 park resort with a 3rd shopping area. It clearly descibes in detail what the entertainment part of the development will be and where and how much Marvel will be represented. Now if it becomes a 3 park resort marvel will be be cut by 50 percent in representation. That is a loss. Any lawyer worth his salt would argue this case. The winner in this would be the better lawyer with the best legal team.

What has been discussed before was how Disney could get the rights back. As far back as I can see it has never been discussed what Universal can do with specific regards to this contract. That is the difference. If universal wants to expand can Disney go after universal. This is different and an interesting issue. We can agree to differ on this but you should at least respect my question on this. That is for the courts to decide. Is Marvel hurt if Universal decides to cut their percentage of space in the resort? I believe the answer is yes. I know you thinks it's no. We will just have to disagree for now and see will happen in the future.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I know there have been lots of threads on this. I also know as long as Universal follows the contrat that Disney can't do anything about it. However read the contract which universal has to follow and it clearly states percentages of the park and that it is a 2 park resort with a 3rd shopping area. It clearly descibes in detail what the entertainment part of the development will be and where and how much Marvel will be represented. Now if it becomes a 3 park resort marvel will be be cut by 50 percent in representation. That is a loss. Any lawyer worth his salt would argue this case. The winner in this would be the better lawyer with the best legal team.

What has been discussed before was how Disney could get the rights back. As far back as I can see it has never been discussed what Universal can do with specific regards to this contract. That is the difference. If universal wants to expand can Disney go after universal. This is different and an interesting issue. We can agree to differ on this but you should at least respect my question on this. That is for the courts to decide. Is Marvel hurt if Universal decides to cut their percentage of space in the resort? I believe the answer is yes. I know you thinks it's no. We will just have to disagree for now and see will happen in the future.

No, it wouldn't go to court, read the contract.

seascape

Original Poster
The contract states a 2 gate resort. Universal has to follow the contract too
As you and everyone else has stated the contract is iron clad. Universal can't expand or the contract is void.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The contract states a 2 gate resort. Universal has to follow the contract too
As you and everyone else has stated the contract is iron clad. Universal can't expand or the contract is void.

If the project portion of the contract was legally binding how would an arbiter handle this: " It is contemplated that the total cost of building out these facilities over the next decade will be approximately $3 billion". How would you judge "approximately"?

I agree with the others, I do not believe the description text at the top was meant to be legally binding, there is just to many vague words in there.

If this part is legally binding then Universal is in violation already since they don't have a tennis club on property.

seascape

Original Poster
Tennis courts are standard parts of high end hotels and costs marvel nothing. There are no damages there. A reduction in percentage of space would be. In fact a tennis court at a hotel could be an addition to profits for both companies not a loss.

DISNEY can only go after Universal if Marvel is damaged.

The solution is easy if Universal wants to expand they give up the rights. No loss to Universal except the cost of repainting and removing the marvel characters.

I'm sure Disney would accept that.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Tennis courts are standard parts of high end hotels and costs marvel nothing. There are no damages there. A reduction in percentage of space wiuld be. In fact a tennis court at a hotel could be an addition to profits for both companies not a loss.

DISNEY can only go after Universal if Marvel is damaged.

The contract talks about a percentage of adverting being for Marvel, and how much retail space, but there is nothing in the contract that say what percentage of the resort has to be dedicated to Marvel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom