Marketing issue with Olaf?

RayTheFirefly

Original Poster
So I just got back from WDW, and I noticed something weird, that made me wonder: is there some sort of copy-writing issue with Olaf right now or something?

I noticed that his name was printed almost nowhere throughout the parks (except on the little cutouts they were passing around HS). For example: In the Big Top Souvenir shop near Dumbo, the little cabinet with the sweets has numerous character themed treats (Maleficent apples, Mickey cake pops, etc.), and they all say the characters' names. However, on all of the Olaf themed treats there, it simply said "Character Inspired Cake Pop" and so on. I noticed similar things throughout the parks in regards to Olaf. It's like they can use his image but not type his name? What's the deal? Are they not allowed to print his name on stuff yet, or am I reading too much into it?

RayTheFirefly

Original Poster
Perhaps since the whole Frozen thing was thrown together last minute, they haven't had time to push the artwork and graphics through the entire system, down to the sign shop.

Or, they're starting to go generic, ala "Disney Parks" with everything.

I thought that could be a possibility. But how hard is it to type "Olaf Cupcake" and print it for a label for a pastry stand?

novawildcat18

That is strange. I was also a little concerned because the Olaf voice at the fireworks show did not sound like Josh Gad to me. Which was surprising, because he's been involved with the parks' Frozen events thus far. I could be wrong and it could be Gad, but I wasn't sure.

RayTheFirefly

Original Poster
I doubt that this is an issue since the backside of the Olaf signs handed out to the guests encourage them to use #olafsummervacation

Yeah, but like I said, that was pretty much the only place I saw it. Even posters all around the park had his picture but never his name.

crispy

That is weird. I would be interested in knowing if this is some type of copyright issue. I know the bakeries can't do cakes of certain Disney character because of issues so maybe this is similar.

RayTheFirefly

Original Poster
Having worked for a large corporation you would be surprised how hard it sometimes can be to get the simplest things done.

I guess that's true. But I wonder if this is also the reason they don't have a character of Olaf to meet yet? Or maybe just creating that takes time and is too difficult.

jlg263

I used to work in one of the candy shops and I can assure you it doesn't mean anything. It was rare that we'd have a specific character named on the signs (aside from Mickey or Minnie). It was mainly just for simplicity's sake I think. There were definitely some times I wish it had a specific name on it though. No one could ever figure out what the Goofy apple was...

ABQ

Wonder if it's the Disney Parks Napkinization of Frozen. Is Olaf known as Olaf in foreign releases of the film? Maybe it's just the easy way out. "Snowman" being more universal then Olaf.

Cmdr_Crimson

However, on all of the Olaf themed treats there, it simply said "Character Inspired Cake Pop" and so on. I noticed similar things throughout the parks in regards to Olaf. It's like they can use his image but not type his name? What's the deal? Are they not allowed to print his name on stuff yet, or am I reading too much into it?

I don't think it's due to name copyrights....I found a picture on google showing candy apples that has the same "Character Inspired" Sign..
Disney+World+Apples0003.jpg

DoctorDisney

As stated already, it is often that some things are "temporary," and don't necessarily get a sign or full description. And as shown, they will have "Character This or That."

Much like the Frozen Summer Fun at DHS, it was literally put together within two weeks. All of the ideas came to light and they put it all together in a matter of two weeks so some smaller things such the name and what not, were likely not a HIGH priority.

Again, these are just my thoughts on it. Could be dead wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom