Mario movie talk from 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Tonto

So you’ve retreated from “niche” to “not good.” Okay dude.
Dude, seems like you have an axe to grind.
The movie is selling well. I was wrong. I'll admit it.
With that said, I did see the movie with my 12 yr old.
It was NOT a good movie at all!
I get that there is a demand for more Mario IP, but lets not confuse the 2.

FigmentFan82

I don't think the number of search results that a franchise elicits is really reflective of how well known or important it is. Moreso a reflection of relevant it is today. Superman isn't as relevant today as Batman or Spider-Man are, and Mickey's cultural importance is basically limited to being a brand mascot for Disney, which would limit its search results. However I'd definitely wager Superman and Mickey are both far more engrained in western culture than Mario is. They were as well known as Mario is today before Mario was even ever created.

That aside though, Mario is a very well known and popular character and that fact is reflected in the film's opening weekend. Anyone saying Mario is niche, lol. What decade do you think this is would be my first response.
The search results allow a very real time glimpse at what currently is available as far as a character being mentioned, talked about, written about, given a product, etc, that has been posted to the internet. It is a very real gauge at how popular a character is, because anyone with access to the internet can create a post or comment or discussion on that topic. We're talking about the here and now. The numbers don't lie. Mario is a superstar, not just "very well known." Non gamers keep trying to diminish the impact of gaming. That's a fool's errand.

BlakeW39

The search results allow a very real time glimpse at what currently is available as far as a character being mentioned, talked about, written about, given a product, etc, that has been posted to the internet. It is a very real gauge at how popular a character is, because anyone with access to the internet can create a post or comment or discussion on that topic. We're talking about the here and now. The numbers don't lie. Mario is a superstar, not just "very well known." Non gamers keep trying to diminish the impact of gaming. That's a fool's errand.

Yeah but I am a gamer and I agree Mario is a superstar. Just not to the extent of Mickey or Superman. Both of those characters' iconographies are more well known and culturally important than Mario's. And that isn't guaged at all by how often they appear in Google search results.

UNCgolf

Once threads run out of information, they all become "airing of personal grievances."

Frank Costanza Seinfeld GIF by MOODMAN

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
ok, ummmm Yeah, so we are not getting Mario. So do we think the expansion beyond Big Thunder would actually happen or was this just filler for D23?

IMHO it was throw-away filler to appease the gathered throngs. There's a very large problem lurking out there for all Orlando area attractions that will only be exacerbated in 2025. Where will they get the necessary labor to staff and operate anything new?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom