Mario Bros. Taught Me Everything I Need to Know...

profscottraynor

Original Poster
Growing up in the 1980's I had the obsession with the Super Mario Bros. game. Now I am a professional artist/designer who teaches at a University. I'm good friends with one of the Psychology professors and we collaborated on a poster.

"Everything I Learned about Motivation I Learned from Mario"

It grew out of a lunch conversation about the original game and how there are specific goals and time constraints. Not to mention you have to learn from your mistakes.

We made it for fun. Hope you enjoy.

The link and full image is here:

http://www.itats.org/everything-lear...learned-mario/
Motivation-Mario-Cover-550x230.jpg

luv

That's cute. Is that the game where the characters ride around on a track? Like Mario, Donkey Kong, the princess and Toad?

When I played my son, I was always Toad. I probably played that game 200 times and only won once.

What I learned from Mario Cart:

1. Winning doesn't matter if you can be the cutest.
2. A rare and hard-won victory is more satisfying than 100 easy wins.
3. Kids like their moms enough to play the only game she can play, just to play with her.
4. Kids get ED when mom beats them, disrupting everything they knew to be true in their universe.

profscottraynor

Original Poster
That's cute. Is that the game where the characters ride around on a track? Like Mario, Donkey Kong, the princess and Toad?

When I played my son, I was always Toad. I probably played that game 200 times and only won once.

What I learned from Mario Cart:

1. Winning doesn't matter if you can be the cutest.
2. A rare and hard-won victory is more satisfying than 100 easy wins.
3. Kids like their moms enough to play the only game she can play, just to play with her.
4. Kids get ED when mom beats them, disrupting everything they knew to be true in their universe.

This is great! If you keep banana peels and turtle shells in the back of your car you can always fling them at the other annoying drivers!

luv

This is great! If you keep banana peels and turtle shells in the back of your car you can always fling them at the other annoying drivers!
Life should really work like that! ;)

I never did anything but steer Toad and don't really know much about the game even though I played it a lot. My son would often knock other people out of the way or protect Toad in some way so that toad didn't get hurt and could finish. But he never let Toad win. It rocked his world the time I won. Ooh, he was so mad. :)

I also played a race car game where I was always crashing into things and it would say, "Try to go easy on the car!" And stuff like that. My son even brought all the stuff to my parents house and had me play while they watched, so they could see how bad I was. He found it very amusing.

When I backed into a tree like fifteen years later, my dad saw the bumper and said, "Try to go easy on the car." :)

We all did some bonding on the video games. It's what he loved. :)

profscottraynor

Original Poster
Life should really work like that! ;)

I never did anything but steer Toad and don't really know much about the game even though I played it a lot. My son would often knock other people out of the way or protect Toad in some way so that toad didn't get hurt and could finish. But he never let Toad win. It rocked his world the time I won. Ooh, he was so mad. :)

I also played a race car game where I was always crashing into things and it would say, "Try to go easy on the car!" And stuff like that. My son even brought all the stuff to my parents house and had me play while they watched, so they could see how bad I was. He found it very amusing.

When I backed into a tree like fifteen years later, my dad saw the bumper and said, "Try to go easy on the car." :)

We all did some bonding on the video games. It's what he loved. :)
Great story...My four year old loves Mario Kart and I fear the day when he gets his driver's license.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom