News Mariachi Cobre Present the Story of 'Coco' at Epcot this Spring

Sir_Cliff

I'm happy to see Coco get some more prominence at the Mexico pavilion which, of course, makes a lot of sense.

I will say, though, that I am also happy Mariachi Cobre will still be performing their regular shows. They're actually quite well thought of as a mariachi band that was significant in the growth of mariachi music in the US in the 1970s and 1980s. Really an example of some world class talent that Epcot at its best manages to attract. I'd feel kind of bad if they were restricted to just playing a Coco show!

ThatMouse

Well it's good they are keeping the actual Mexican music at the pavilion, and Coco's best song "Remember Me" was written by actual Mexicans, not the movie's composer who failed again at writing anything memorable.

aliceismad

Well it's good they are keeping the actual Mexican music at the pavilion, and Coco's best song "Remember Me" was written by actual Mexicans, not the movie's composer who failed again at writing anything memorable.
I quite liked the music in Up. Though I do admit that for Coco, since it's about a love of music, I would've liked some better songs.

Sir_Cliff

I quite liked the music in Up. Though I do admit that for Coco, since it's about a love of music, I would've liked some better songs.
I liked the songs in Coco! The only problem for me is that I would have liked maybe one or two more and the songs they had could have been longer. I really love Un Poco Loco and Proud Corazón... but they are so short! The World is Mi Familia also could have used more than one verse...

GlacierGlacier

Ah yes, Giachinno. Such forgettable tunes, he writes. I mean, who could ever hum the theme of the Incredibles? Nobody ever remembers that little song from that one movie about the old guy and his house. Even outside the Disney space, he writes such a forgettable theme for Star Trek that nobody ever plays it for anything. Who even likes the music used in California's Space Mountain? It's definitely not memorable at all, I'd say.

Breaking the sarcasm, the soundtrack in Coco was designed to support the primary songs and the action on screen. You aren't necessarily supposed to remember the tunes of the entrance to the land of the dead, you're supposed to remember the heartfelt songs written, sung, or performed by our leading characters.

NearTheEars

Sounds a lot like what they did during the holidays when Coco was first released. They had a band play songs from the film over where Donald’s meet and greet is.

Sir_Cliff

Ah yes, Giachinno. Such forgettable tunes, he writes. I mean, who could ever hum the theme of the Incredibles? Nobody ever remembers that little song from that one movie about the old guy and his house. Even outside the Disney space, he writes such a forgettable theme for Star Trek that nobody ever plays it for anything. Who even likes the music used in California's Space Mountain? It's definitely not memorable at all, I'd say.

Breaking the sarcasm, the soundtrack in Coco was designed to support the primary songs and the action on screen. You aren't necessarily supposed to remember the tunes of the entrance to the land of the dead, you're supposed to remember the heartfelt songs written, sung, or performed by our leading characters.
I have to admit that I also really like the score of Coco. Perhaps not coincidentally, my two favourite Pixar movies and scores are Ratatouille and Coco, both of which Giachinno scored. The use of the Ratatouille instrumental theme in the queue of the ride in WDSP as you wander through the rooftops of Paris also very nicely sets the mood!

ThatMouse

Somewhat off topic but we are talking about potentially more Giacchino in the parks which I deplore.

I describe Michael Giacchino as not being able to create memorable melodies, but I would go farther and say he's just bad at creating A level music. For contrast, Thomas Newman (Walle & Nemo) doesn't do strong melodies either, but his scores are far more emotional.

Star Trek (2009) - the weakest of the scores compared to Goldsmith and Horner. Repeats the same 8 bars for the entire movie!
Space Mountain sounds like some sort of Mission Impossible remix. Too bad they couldn't get Danny Elfman (Mars Attacks)
Incredibles - Generic spy jazz, a take on John Barry's 007. He's dead so why not just get someone to copy him?
Up - the music is ok, but no strong melody like Strauss who he's borrowing from
Ratatouille - "Le Festin" is probably one of two songs he wrote that has a complete melody you can hum. It even has lyrics!!! How amazing he is!

GoofZ

Somewhat off topic but we are talking about potentially more Giacchino in the parks which I deplore.

I describe Michael Giacchino as not being able to create memorable melodies, but I would go farther and say he's just bad at creating A level music. For contrast, Thomas Newman (Walle & Nemo) doesn't do strong melodies either, but his scores are far more emotional.

Star Trek (2009) - the weakest of the scores compared to Goldsmith and Horner. Repeats the same 8 bars for the entire movie!
Space Mountain sounds like some sort of Mission Impossible remix. Too bad they couldn't get Danny Elfman (Mars Attacks)
Incredibles - Generic spy jazz, a take on John Barry's 007. He's dead so why not just get someone to copy him?
Ratatouille - "Le Festin" is probably one of two songs he wrote that has a complete melody you can hum. It even has lyrics!!! How amazing he is!

GlacierGlacier

Oh you sweet summer child

Kevin_W

Everyone is entitled to their own musical opinion, but the man did win an Oscar for Up (and a Grammy for Up and Ratatouille) so at least some people found it more than "okay". He also was picked as the first composer outside of John Williams to score a Star Wars movie, when Disney could have probably picked just about any composer out there.

Last edited:

aliceismad

I liked the songs in Coco! The only problem for me is that I would have liked maybe one or two more and the songs they had could have been longer. I really love Un Poco Loco and Proud Corazón... but they are so short! The World is Mi Familia also could have used more than one verse...
I agree. It's not that I think Coco was bad by any means. I just wish it had a little more.

ThatMouse

Everyone is entitled to their own musical opinion, but the man did win an Oscar for Up (and a Grammy for Up and Ratatouille) so at least some people found it more than "okay". He also was picked as the first composer outside of John Williams to score a Star Wars movie, when Disney could have probably picked just about any composer out there.

Somehow he beat James Horner's Avatar. To me that just shows how ill informed the academy is :)

Surferboy567

I know everyone wants a winky face emoji to show that Coco is coming to Epcot but I have something to share. So as a massive Kingdom Hearts fan I follow Tasha S, she’s on the theme park devision of Pixar and also worked on the game. She posted that she was on the resort loop podcast. I as any theme park fan wanted to know what two Pixar employees in the division offered up and this could mean nothing but...when asked “What movies or charcters in the park do you want to see in the park that aren’t there yet?”. They specifically mention Coco so maybe...something is in the pipeline? I personally want Poppins over Coco but that’s besides the point. Didn’t want to make a separate thread on this to drive people crazy.

SOURCE: http://resortloop.com/
Time Stamp: 15:14

Again it’s probably nothing, but I found it interesting nevertheless

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom