Mandalorian and Grogu meet and greet for Walt Disney World

MagicHappens1971

If it's really an issue, the OT characters can be in the areas that aren't blatantly sequelified. The markets, the area near the Falcon, etc...
Unless they do a full walk back on the timeline, I can’t see them bringing Luke, Leia or Vader into Galaxy’s Edge. Disney made the poor choice of locking the land into the sequel trilogy, and that is when it exists. Technically every single area of Batuu has a purpose, and they’re all set within the sequel trilogy.

Screamface

This slavish devotion to the continuity of Black Spire accomplishes nothing. Keep the lore and the story of Baatu and Starcruiser, but if Mando and Boba Yoda appear or Darth Vader or Darth Maul are walking around taking pictures so what? If it makes the paying customers happy isnt that the point? Also-wasnt there supposed to be some story about the Black Spire itself that has yet to be told anywhere? "Much like the tree on Dagobah, the Black Spire of Baatu is strong with The Force leading to characters from across time and space occasionally appearing." There-fixed it for the nerds.

"No, the stupid nerd fans are all into larping and can't have the illusion broken because they're all stupid pathetic fragile nerds."
- Probably some Luscasfilm/Disney executive who looks down on the material.

At some point some fictional version of fans of material seems to have been created, Maybe from things like The Big Bang theory and Hollywood keeps thinking that is the majority of franchise fans.

It's like larping. Who knows anyone that larps? I haven't even heard of someone who knows anyone who does. Yet it's repeadedly how Hollywood likes to depict fans. Apparently, Star Wars fans like me want to pay a premium to go to an unmoving cruise ship to larp. Where I have to be immersed in a fictional world where if it breaks continuity we will be angry.

There's some weird confusion over fans not liking films/books/comics to break the established lore or contradict themselves in really obvious and dumb ways that should have been avoided if care was taken. With being unable to accept liberties being taken. Not able to understand a land at a theme park isn't a real place and doesn't need official canon.

A Star Wars land in a theme park with characters from different eras caters to fans far more than strict adherence to a specific 1 year period between films no one likes.

4kmouse

In the Parks
No
I believe it's time for us to acknowledge the ridiculously high standards we've set for this beloved franchise. It seems that every time a new movie or show is released, we are quick to criticize and pick it apart, forgetting the joy and excitement that we felt when we first discovered this universe.

I remember when fans first criticized the original trilogy for the inclusion of the Ewoks in Return of the Jedi. Fast forward to the prequel trilogy, and suddenly everyone was complaining about Jar Jar Binks and the overuse of CGI. Now, with the sequel trilogy, it seems like fans are never satisfied, constantly nitpicking and comparing it to the original trilogy.

But here's the thing: the sequels are actually very enjoyable. Yes, they may have their flaws, but so do the original and prequel trilogies. The beauty of Star Wars is that it has always been a space opera, with epic battles between good and evil, memorable characters, and incredible world-building. The sequels deliver all of these elements in spades.

If you're a fan of The Mandalorian, then there's no reason why you can't enjoy the sequels as well. Both have the same heart and spirit of adventure that have made Star Wars so beloved. And let's not forget the incredible performances from Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, and John Boyega, who bring a new depth and complexity to the franchise.

So let's stop holding Star Wars to impossibly high standards and instead embrace the joy and excitement that it brings. May the Force be with us all!

As a lifelong Disney fan, I've always felt a special connection to the magic and wonder that Disney brings to our lives. And being a part of a community of people who share that love and appreciation for all things Disney is really amazing.

I just wanted to take a moment to express my gratitude for the respectful and open-minded discussions that I've seen taking place here at WDW Magic. It's so important that we can all share our opinions and viewpoints in a way that is supportive and constructive, and I'm really glad to see that happening here.

So, thank you all for being a part of this community and for respecting each other's opinions. I'm really looking forward to getting to know all of you and sharing our love for Disney together!

brb1006

I really miss the free roaming characters! I understand why they haven't roamed since I was a kid but still:cry:
I remember seeing a video shot somewhere at WDW back in the early 1990s where Dale was allowed to spend extra time playing with a young boy. I'll never forget the look of pure joy and happiness in that kid's face the longer Dale interacted with him. I wish I could find that video again.

leiaorgana

All of this talk about roaming characters just reminded me of the time me and my grandad got to ride Star Tours with Chewbacca back in the early 00s and it blew my tiny mind at the time. It was towards the end of the day and there was only us and another family in our vehicle and so he came on with us after appearing from one of the side doors and pretending to strangle the loading CM. It’s one of my favourite Disney memories aside from when I got to “drive the boat” on JC or when I was pulled up to be in The Lion King parade at MK.

brb1006

And influencers on the media list didn’t do posts on “how to better your character meet and greet experience” and didn’t take pics with characters to sell YouTube ads.

It used about be about fun and memories. Now it’s so sterile and corporate.
The closest I've gotten to an actual heartfelt and sweet character interaction similar to the days of the walkaround character days was when I meet Marie from The Aristocats at the Magic Kingdom near the Flag Pole during my Senior Trip sometime in late April/May of 2016. I'll never forget when when I told her "She's been my favorite character since I was a child.", she reacted by getting super shy and flustered around me as she meekly backed away from me. Then suddenly, the kitten gave me the biggest hug and clearly hearing the CM who was "Friends with Marie" whispering "Aww" as I hugged her back. It was also a very emotional experience since Marie's interactions really got to me, because I remember crying in private at my room at the All-Star Sports Resort in pure joy and happiness.

Unlike a majority of modern WDW guests, I was very patient and I was genuine with what I told her. My entire experience meeting Marie is one of my all-time favorite memories of visiting WDW compared to my first trip from 2004, and second trip in 2006 which I look back very fondly. It's a shame to see a majority of modern WDW guests aren't as patient nowadays.

Last edited:

brb1006

I remember riding Dumbo with Goofy, Chip, Dale and Donald (in other elephants) at 1 am during 3 hour Evening EMH a few days before July 4 with a couple other teens and adults.
Reminds me of a video I seen on Youtube years back during EMH where Mickey, Chip, Dale, Goofy, Minnie were riding King Arthur Carousel in Fantasyland with other guests.

WorldExplorer

On the subject of roaming characters, Chip and Dale were wandering around Dinoland a few weeks ago. They were all the way over at the games watching people play and cheering them on. They stuck around for a bit, too, it wasn't like a little march around on the way to the rainy day meet spot.

I saw them messing around near the entrance to Rama another time (different from the usual walk to the meet spot) but didn't stay to see if they went in and watched again.

It was surprising to see. Maybe they're trying stuff out? Or maybe Dinoland is just the Disney World equivalent of the lawless wild west.

Last edited:

leiaorgana

Maybe? It’d be nice if they had more roaming characters at WDW again but I understand why they don’t with how people behave these days. When we there in early November I saw Rapunzel hanging out by the Tangled restrooms for a little bit and then about half an hour later Belle was hanging around by the Gaston fountain and I’ve never seen either of those characters in those spots before. I just figured it was training of some kind.

Indy_UK

Rise wouldn’t be that difficult to go to OT. Videos can be swapt, Darth swap for every Kylo, have a different admiral with Darth, and Finn becomes someone else. The story can still essentially stay the same as can all of the effects.

You can really tell when you do the attraction how easily it can be changed to another era. Like you said, most can be all swapped out. The stormtrooper helmets can be swapped over too

MrPromey

Dear Disney, people want to see certain characters in Galaxy's Edge. Let this truly be an end to the timeline and let us soon see Luke, Leia, Vader and more roaming the land.
"But the STARCRUISER!"

Maybe they can add a story beat for the Halcyon transport truck travel where you accidentally pass through some sort of wormhole that causes - I dunno - inverted time dilation(?) and sends you back to to that period and then one for the return trip where they say something like "the only way to reverse the effect is to try going back through - hold onto your butts!".

The question is, would Universal sue or just roast them on twitter? 🤔

MrPromey

They could change these things, but it would cost a lost of money to retheme Rise, Lucasfilm still holds a lot of control over these characters, you’ll notice that while Boba Fett & Fennec Shand may meet at Disneylands Galaxy’s Edge, Luke Leia and Vader have yet to ever make an appearance in Galaxys Edge. Lucasfilm dictates how the characters are used within the parks.
So rise is a simple fix... first in the queue, you wander past one of these:

1982_DeLorean_DMC-12_Time_Machine_Mecum_11.jpg

Terminator-2-judgement-day.jpg

I think Skydance currently holds the rights to Terminator and with Universal no-longer licensing it in their parks, that's probably the easier time travel IP to use.

... I'll see myself out, now. 😔

MrPromey

They could change these things, but it would cost a lost of money to retheme Rise, Lucasfilm still holds a lot of control over these characters, you’ll notice that while Boba Fett & Fennec Shand may meet at Disneylands Galaxy’s Edge, Luke Leia and Vader have yet to ever make an appearance in Galaxys Edge. Lucasfilm dictates how the characters are used within the parks.

If only Disney knew someone who had some sway with Lucasfilm...

Such a shame they have no influence over there.

Maybe someone could point out that they make space-westerns with some of the recent ones being kind of crappy. They've introduced space-vespas and even recently, literal space-pirates... that look and talk like POTC pirates, just to make sure you really understand these are space PIRATES...

This ain't Lord of the Rings story telling - check your bank account, make sure you got paid this week, then send over the only guy in a black suit and mask anyone really cares about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom