Man visits WDW for 365 days

ChimneySweep49

Seriously I don’t understand you guys sometimes… Who cares why he goes, why does it matter to you? Why does it matter if he has a job or not? If he wants to go to the parks 365 days who are you guys to say he can’t? Does anyone tell you that you can’t go to this store once a week because it would ruin the store? Why can’t he use an AP the way he wants?
Because this guy is doing something with his life that is against the unspoken rules of society. Sure, what he's doing may be perfectly legal & not hurting anyone. Sure, it may be a passion of his that he really enjoys. Sure, it's his life and not mine to dictate. But it's just different from most people's lifestyles, and thus there must be something wrong about what he's doing. :mad:

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to unleashing my fury & judgment on this fellow whom I've never met. At least it will make me feel better on the inside about some of my own life choices.

misterID

Fury? There are all sorts of people with odd habits that are funny and I don't understand, I probably have odd habits too... well... matter of fact, I do. I'm a fan of a band that is absolutely torturous to follow, horribly fan unfriendly, and I know every minute detail of this band's history, inner workings, nightly set lists and, and knowledge of every one of the revolving door of musicians, which gets me ridiculed by my friends and family. And I don't care. And I understand it is ODD... but there are a lot of us with the same obsession, so who cares... but it's funny. I understand that.

I think it is ironic that some of the folks defending this guy, and there's nothing to defend, but I've seen them talk about "folks they don't know" on this very forum like they were subhuman parasites... on various subjects, some involving other Disney guests and some of which are banned from being discussed on the forum. It's just ironic... and a bit hypocritical.

Last edited:

dadddio

I clearly am strange.

If I won the lottery, I could totally imagine moving to Golden Oak and spending a small amount of time every day in the parks. It seems to me that there is so much to experience that it wouldn't get boring. Of course, the keys to the plan are: 'lottery' and 'small amount of time'.

PhotoDave219

Not to go off topic but can someone explain to me what a lifestyler is? Is it someone who just goes into the park? Is it someone who does ALL things Disney, such as world wide parks, broadway shows, cruises(I would think that would be the ultimate lifestyler ) or someone who does all the special events? It's used on these boards a lot in (what seems) to be a negative term. Is that because it's someone who earns his living by visiting the Disney parks? I love the parks as much as anyone but I'm sure the IRS just loves the people who posts pictures of attractions and parades on their websites because that's their main source of income.

A lifestyler is essentially an attention seeking person who uses social media to promote what they are doing at a Disney park. They essentially live there or park experiences through social media and if you ate as the "look at me, look at what I'm doing, look at how cool I am"… you're my thing is perfectly fine if you're 12.

They must be the first person to experience any new offering, attraction, food, Halloween themed drinking cup… And it goes on and on and on.

For example, the crowd that absolutely swarmed Splitsville the first month it was open. Now none of those people will be caught dead there.

I won't even start to get in on the people who created a blog up so they could get on the social media list from public relations just to get free stuff from Disney.

I hope that answers your question.

PhotoDave219

Bloggers, certain podcasters, people who visit every day, anyone that makes their living or who's entire sense of purpose in life revolves around the Parks...Lifestylers. One could argue that many of us here are at various levels of being a lifestyler. Under 1000 posts (not quite a lifestyler); 1000+ posts (wannabe lifestyler); 5000+ posts (lifestyler); 10000+ posts (Ricky Brigante Lifestyler Award); 15000+ posts (Lou Mongello Hall Of Fame Lifestyler Award).

j/k Flynn, saw you had 10K posts...just poking fun ; )

So I'm in the Hall of Fame category?

Does that mean if I can spend a day at Disney without spending any money whatsoever, it's the equivalent of throwing a no-hitter?

PhotoDave219

Yup. It came down to cost. I'm still planning on applying for the CP and seeing how I like it down there and possibly making a permanent move after college.:)

Just remember, the job market down your socks. There's very few jobs they actually pay more than $10 an hour down here. Most of them are in the service industry. Please do yourself a favor and research it thoroughly before you make any hasty decisions.

As for the college program? It's a good start. Make sure you network with all your leaders. Use it as a chance to make inroads into the company. Use the time to examine professional internships and find out how you get one of those. Then do a professional internship, continue to network with your leaders and other people who are interested in professional development, and then hopefully you can get yourself status in a full-time role that is not on the front lines.

The best example that someone told me recently (I think it was @71jason ) is it's the equivalent of going professional in sports. You have a whole lot of people trying to get very very very few jobs. (In this case, jobs that pay more than minimum wage)

PhotoDave219

What's a newspaper? :D

A permanent delivery medium wherein information is distributed to people's homes, printed on paper. Disseminated by newsgathering agencies. Usually written and performed by people who are willing to take stands on principle alone.

Often employs very ill tempered, hyperactive, terse, found mouthed individuals who tend to live their life on deadline and simply do not have time for other people's crap.

StarWarsGirl

Just remember, the job market down your socks. There's very few jobs they actually pay more than $10 an hour down here. Most of them are in the service industry. Please do yourself a favor and research it thoroughly before you make any hasty decisions.

As for the college program? It's a good start. Make sure you network with all your leaders. Use it as a chance to make inroads into the company. Use the time to examine professional internships and find out how you get one of those. Then do a professional internship, continue to network with your leaders and other people who are interested in professional development, and then hopefully you can get yourself status in a full-time role that is not on the front lines.

The best example that someone told me recently (I think it was @71jason ) is it's the equivalent of going professional in sports. You have a whole lot of people trying to get very very very few jobs. (In this case, jobs that pay more than minimum wage)
I know. The plan is to apply for the college program and then look into a professional internship pretty soon after that. The idea is to get my foot in the door with the college program and then look into the professional internship program after that. I'm also doing local internships up here to gain some professional skills (just completed an HR internship with an insurance company). I've done my research; just gotta see where it goes. :)

PhotoDave219

I know. The plan is to apply for the college program and then look into a professional internship pretty soon after that. The idea is to get my foot in the door with the college program and then look into the professional internship program after that. I'm also doing local internships up here to gain some professional skills (just completed an HR internship with an insurance company). I've done my research; just gotta see where it goes. :)

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I am just suggesting that you look into it thoroughly.

The entire Orlando market is changed to vastly in the 10 years since I moved down here. Jobs that you can live on that are becoming more and more scarce.

The key at Disney? Networking.

Disney Dawg88

I was a WDW AP holder for four years, March 2009 though March 2013. I traveled to work in Central FL for those years, always once a month for four to five day stretches, and I would always stay in hotels in the Disney area. No Disney hotels, but pretty much every one that you've seen or heard of around Disney. Anyway, I would work during the day, and instead of sitting in my hotel room at night I would go and walk around the parks almost every night.

The first couple of years it was great, it was an escape to get away from the work day, and I got to take my time in the parks which was awesome. I really was able to soak things in and take time to notice the little things that people don't take the time to look at. However, as crazy as this sounds, after a while it really started wearing on me, my view of WDW changed very quickly. I found myself starting to get annoyed with things - annoyed of the time it took getting to my car to the Magic Kingdom even though it was about 20-30 mins, annoyed trying to fight the crowds getting Into and out of the parks, annoyed at people walking slowly, annoyed at people not knowing what they were doing, annoyed that during some points during the year the wait times on rides would be double and triple what it was on my previous visit, etc. I would start seeing rides that had __ wait time, anything over 20 minutes as crazy as it sounds, and I would skip it knowing that it just wasn't worth it. Mainly I got sick of going there alone, a couple times friends from Tampa met me, but I missed having people with me. But it was crazy how my view changed of the place over time, and it all was just natural too.

Don't get me wrong, I was SO thankful to have gone 30-50+ times each year for four years, and I definitely got my money's worth on those APs. I still LOVE WDW and will always go every year for marathon weekend in January. But back to my point, while this guy can do what he wants and visit everyday, I can't imagine in my right mind going there EVERY day for a year. I just think it's in a persons nature to just get annoyed with certain everyday habits.

StarWarsGirl

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I am just suggesting that you look into it thoroughly.

The entire Orlando market is changed to vastly in the 10 years since I moved down here. Jobs that you can live on that are becoming more and more scarce.

The key at Disney? Networking.
I've known this is what I've wanted to do since I was a sophomore in high school. I'm now a sophomore in college. I understand that it's tough, but I still want to try.

I agree with you about networking. I think that's important in any field, but I know that's definitely the case in Disney (you are not the first to say that).

PhotoDave219

I've known this is what I've wanted to do since I was a sophomore in high school. I'm now a sophomore in college. I understand that it's tough, but I still want to try.

I agree with you about networking. I think that's important in any field, but I know that's definitely the case in Disney (you are not the first to say that).

You can ask all the cast members on this forum that have managed to work their way off the frontline. Networking is the key.

It's much easier to do the college program/professional internship route to get into management then it is directly work yourself up from the front lines. either way, Disney is all about who you know. So find out where you want to work, make friends with them, get them to like you and go from there…

Good luck.

NearTheEars

A permanent delivery medium wherein information is distributed to people's homes, printed on paper. Disseminated by newsgathering agencies. Usually written and performed by people who are willing to take stands on principle alone.

Often employs very ill tempered, hyperactive, terse, found mouthed individuals who tend to live their life on deadline and simply do not have time for other people's crap.

Amen!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom