Man dies ... after riding Busch Gardens roller coaster in Tampa

atrus79

Original Poster
I feel horrible for the family but ...

Let the critics come out on this one ...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/sfl-726rollercoasterdeath,0,3798163.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

Associated Press
Posted July 26, 2006, 8:23 AM EDT

TAMPA -- A 52-year-old man who complained that he felt sick after riding a roller coaster at Busch Gardens died about two hours later in a hospital, park officials said Tuesday.

Thomas M. Welch, 52, of Palm Harbor, was responsive and talking after riding the Gwazi roller coaster Monday morning, but quickly lost consciousness, spokesman Gerard Hoeppner said.

Paramedics attempted CPR and used a defibrillator, but Welch was later pronounced dead at University Community Hospital, Hoeppner said.

The ride was closed briefly after the incident to make sure it was functioning properly, Hoeppner said.

A telephone call placed to the Florida Fair Rides Inspection Bureau was not answered.

Gwazi reaches 50 mph at its highest speed and drops from a 90-foot lift, but does not go upside down, Hoeppner said.

"We don't believe that it was ride-related," he said. "We have very extensive and stringent ride systems and safety procedures. This particular wooden coaster is inspected every day."

Gwazi has written and audio warnings along the way cautioning guests from boarding the ride if they have high blood pressure, heart problems or other illnesses, Hoeppner said.

A woman who answered the phone at the Welch residence declined to give her name, but said the family was grieving and would not comment.

A woman who answered the phone at the Hillsborough County medical examiner's office said they would not release any information until Wednesday.

sleepybear

Wow. Hardly any responses on this thread and the two other threads regarding this accident. Where's the self-righteous indignation? Where's the blaming the media? Anyone?

Thought not.

Regardless, it's a tragedy when anyone dies in a place dedicated to fun, Disney or not.

SpongeScott

Lee said:
Ahhh....it was Gwazi...figures.
He probably died from the beating Gwazi gave him.:lookaroun
that ride beat me around so bad that all I could do was laugh the entire time I rode it. I wonder if he had brain trauma.

Gosh, I feel awful for the family.

Hope they didn't decide to go to Busch Gardens after reading about all of the deaths at WDW :lookaroun

And, I'm sorry, I have to say it, but whoever wrote the article needs to be shot...or at least given a writing class. If I see another "Hoeppner said." concluding a sentence, I think I'll cry.

CAPTAIN HOOK

darthjohnny said:
These accidents are becoming pretty regular it seems.
It would seem that these "accidents" are not accidents - they're usually unknown pre-existing medical conditions which are the cause

disneyisbest

I am not really surprised that this is the first I have heard of this. I guess Busch Gardens is not a big enough company in the eyes of the media to be put on the forefront of scrutiny.

tigsmom

CAPTAIN HOOK said:
It would seem that these "accidents" are not accidents - they're usually unknown pre-existing medical conditions which are the cause

Or in this case an known condition and the decision to ignore the warnings. I had read another report yesterday that stated the man had a cardiac problem and was under treatment for that. I'll try to find the report.

EDIT: can't find the report I read last night.

nyy102

Riding amusement park rides sure doesn't seem as safe as it used to be, but the fact still is that more people die traveling to or from amusement parks than the amount of people that die inside. With that being said, I feel extremely bad for this man's family, and I think that the general public really needs a greater awareness about listening to warnings posted on rides, as people do not seem to take it as seriously as it should be. Everyone thinks that nothing will happen to them, and that those warnings are only for people with "serious" problems. I actually think that Disney could greatly help its image, in regards to public safety, by launching this sort of awareness campaign.

Gwazi gave me more of a headache then Mission Space so thats got to tell you something. I mean gosh Sheikra wasnt even at rough as Gwazi and its like 120 feet taller. Gwazi just needs to be re-tracked and make it smoother.

yeti

Never went to Bush Gardens. Only theme parks I've been to are WDW, DL, DLP.........and Universal.

Respects to the family though :(

Coronado

Gwazi has always had a rough ride on the lion side....it has a helix at the end like the Scorpion.... Tiger side has always been the favorite of most. Seems like more "air time" and smoother...... all wood coasters rattle... it is part of the attraction.... I am daddened by the loss but know that pre-existing conditions are usually the cause....

BwanaBob

Ditto on the Gwazi comments.

That thing is 'ugly'.

I know quite a few people who have gotten sick off that thing moreso than M:S

But then again, I don't have many friends either!

:lol:

I rode on the Left side if you are in the station about to depart so whatever that was it was horrible and My Girlfriend wants me to ride it again with her but Im not to sure I want my Guts spilled out all over the world.

CAPTAIN HOOK

as a matter of fact it was UKNOWN and u can trust me on that !

Having brought to life a two year old thread and stating that we're going to have to trust you with this information that nobody else knows and in your first post - I think you're going to have to come clean and reveal your source.

Welcome aboard (BTW) :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom