Man dies after police use Taser at Universal Studios

CAPTAIN HOOK

Its just another incident sensationalised by its proximity to a major tourist attraction. Had this happened in the heart of anywhere else in the world (away from the tourist business) it probably wouldn't even be newsworthy

Tater48

Excited Delirium. When it all comes out, odds are there are going to be numerous underlying conditions which led to his fate. . You're right about this Captain Hook. Had it happened somewhere else out of the range of tourist attractions, it would not even be newsworthy. Journalistic sensationalism at its best.

CAPTAIN HOOK

That's certainly a reason to arrest somebody.

I would say that it is (I assume your comment had a certain amount of sarcasm in it). Displaying those sort of characteristics would make you believe that he had mental health issues and a certain danger to himself / others. As such, he would be required to attend for psychiatric assessment and in order to get him there may require his arrest - English Law has a power to do so under the Mental Health Act, I assume there are similar powers in US Law. He obviously took issue with being detained

Tater48

There is a whole lot more to this story than the Orlando Slantinel(Sentinel) has provided. The FDLE is in possession of video of the incident. Someone, somewhere, obviously made the complaint and I would be willing to bet that this was not the first time the S.O. has had dealings with this individual.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
After hearing more and more stories in the news about Taser "problems", perhaps it's time to reclassify the taser as "lethal".

Tater48

After hearing more and more stories in the news about Taser "problems", perhaps it's time to reclassify the taser as "lethal".

Unkadug, that's what they are. Stories. In our use of force continuum, it was our third choice of force, after weak hand and strong hand, but before OC spray, impact weapons and Lethal force, all of which are more lethal.

SOLISIMO

Your right, lets not blame it on the individuals that have soo much crack/alcohol in their system that it causes a conflict with the taser. I have never seen a profession in which the general public is so ungrateful of.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Your right, lets not blame it on the individuals that have soo much crack/alcohol in their system that it causes a conflict with the taser. I have never seen a profession in which the general public is so ungrateful of.

I have great deal of respect and gratitude for the law enforcement community and profession. Thank you very much for putting words in mouth.

Not so much gratitude for a device that deals out a death blow to those who choose not to take such great care of their bodies. Who are we to judge who should be able to survive a police encounter and who should not?

cmatt

I would say that it is (I assume your comment had a certain amount of sarcasm in it). Displaying those sort of characteristics would make you believe that he had mental health issues and a certain danger to himself / others. As such, he would be required to attend for psychiatric assessment and in order to get him there may require his arrest - English Law has a power to do so under the Mental Health Act, I assume there are similar powers in US Law. He obviously took issue with being detained

agreed - safety of those around him and also himself. I do assume that if the polis over here suspect mental illness they would be firm but also deal with it more tactfully*

*unless the met police were involved, then it would be hit it with a big stick till it goes away

SleepingMonk

The Taser has always been a less lethal option, not a non-lethal one.

It's no more dangerous than OC or CS and much better than going to a baton/ASP.

CAPTAIN HOOK

I do assume that if the polis over here suspect mental illness they would be firm but also deal with it more tactfully*

First priority is the safety of the officers at scene, dealing with the incident. Second priority is the safety of the general public in the vicinity of the incident. Once these are addressed, the conflict resolution model is utilised - that is, the scale of force deployed is proportionate to that encountered. If the subject is compliant then talking a gentle hand on the arm may suffice. If his aggression rises then the use of force deployed rises proportionately.
The aim is to resolve the scenario safefly for everybody present. Once the subject is detained then his/her welfare becomes the priority and suitable medical attention is sought either at the scene or by taking the subject to hospital.
Taser is designed to be a non lethal tactic, however, it can affect a very small proportion of people in the wrong way. If the Home Office didn't deem it safe to use British police wouldn't carry it

Walt Disney1955

Couldn't agree more with that. Cops never win. I know there is a certain amount of "street cred" people get from complaining about the PO-LICE but I will bet a steak dinner that if there was a burglar in your house those same people would be calling 911.

This is post-9/11 and if someone went as far as forcing the police to use a taser then they did something alarming or potentially dangerous in the first place, at Universal Studios or not. If the cops are blasse with this guy and he pulls a gun out and kills an innocent kid then the same people would be complaining that the cops didn't do "enough". Put yourself in the shoes of a cop where you have ample seconds to react in order to protect the general public. A cop with that window of judgement doesn't have the luxury to sit down for hours on Youtube and criticize it

Banksy

Sorry if i offend anyone by saying this, but it is extremely sad that someone has died of course, but a police officer would only use a taser when necessary. They have to think of their own safety as well, otherwise it may have been the police officer who died.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom