Man Arrested for Allegedly Groping a Face Character in WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minthorne

This is not the 80's and he was not in a movie. I see nothing from the news coverage to suggest that this was something he intended as a joke.

Somehow I knew this wasn't the 80's and this wasn't a movie - but thanks :)

DISCLAIMER: I never said it was something he intended as a joke. I simply pointed out that in the 80's it was. I qualified my statement with the word "sadly" to note I didn't agree with the 80's mentality.

Movielover

Sadly back in the 80's this was a common movie joke. For example...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089208/characters/nm0001738

The problem is some people can not separate fictional media from reality. This joke is fine in the context of the movie because its a fictitious event. It is being played for comedic effect. This type of thing happening in real life, especially between 2 people that do not know each other is 100% wrong and its sad that some people can't get a grasp on this (no pun intended).

Last edited by a moderator:

Minthorne

The problem is some people can not separate fictional media from reality. This joke is fine in the context of the movie because its a fictitious event. It is being played for comedic effect. This type of thing happening in real life, especially between 2 people that do not know each other is 100% wrong and its sad that some people can't get a grasp on this (no pun intended).

So true. Sadly, some people think if you are famous enough you can grab anyone anywhere.

BromBones

Original Poster
Pretty sure human face characters cost a lot less than animatronics. Actors don't require a team of engineers and can be easily replaced if things aren't quite working.

I was going to say that it would also be difficult to keep guests from touching animatronics (see video of roving robots in TL abused by children), but apparently it's also difficult to keep guests from touching human actors...

I think, once the technology catches up after the up front investment it might end up being less expensive to have animatronic face characters. But that won't be for a very long time.

beertiki

Yeah he looks creepy. I think any adult without kids who poses with characters has a bit of creepiness to them. If it's just Mickey, you get a pass. But, a grown A$$ man with any female character is a creep. When we pass the lines for photos and I see people without kids, my first thoughts are weirdo, creep, and strange. I bet the CMs find most of the adults to be weird and creepy too.

iowamomof4

Question: Do you think that Disney will actually take this one to court? Once they do that it becomes public record.
And while it is a good thing to shine a light on bad people (alleged in this man's case for now) we also know how Disney does not like negative press.
Would they try to keep the trial confidential? (which I don't see happening)
Or will they compensate the face character CM to keep her from going to trial?
Or will they just make it a trial so the records can be public and it will show that Disney is not going to tolerate that horrible (alleged) behavior?

If they have proof that he did do this then I would take it to court and press charges.

It should be up to the CM (and the DA) whether or not to take it to court, not Disney.

WDWTank

Reading one of the posted articles, the guy was on the sexual offenders list because he inappropriately touched a 12-year-old girl several decades back.

That prompts the question: If a person is a registered sexual offender especially when it involves children we already know they can't live within a certain distance of a school. So should that same restriction apply to them being allowed to visit parks like Walt Disney World which caters predominantly to young children?

Which then prompts the second question: Should Disney do a background check on their guests before allowing them to visit the parks?
- It would be expensive to background check everyone, but once you are clear you are clear.
- It could most likely be construed as an invasion of privacy.
- It might dissuade a lot more people from coming to Walt Disney World, but that also might be a good thing if it's dissuading the people with questionable backgrounds.
- The ACLU would most likely have a field day with that.

This might be a topic for another thread.
I thought Disney already did that?

wombat

You say you "have ways" as if it takes a particular skill to not touch somebody inappropriately. If you're a normal person, the "way" is not to touch people without consent. If you are a TSA officer you can touch anywhere you want as long as it is with the back of your hand because that makes it no longer inappropriate.
the poster did not say 'have ways' !!!!!!!!!!!!

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
A lot of grown adults enjoy meeting characters. A lot of grown adults on this board enjoy meeting characters and going to character meals. And they don't grope them. This isn't about adults being creepy for meeting a character, this is about ONE creepy adult meeting a character. Lay off the judgement of others at large and focus on the situation at hand.

_caleb

I think, once the technology catches up after the up front investment it might end up being less expensive to have animatronic face characters. But that won't be for a very long time.
Yes, I’d think it would be a VERY long time. Even then, real people as characters kind of seems like something that makes a Disney park feel inhabited, warm, and inviting (as opposed to, say, a Chuck E. Cheese Pizza place with the creepy robot band blinking at you coldly with that click-click-click sound).

I know the current trend is to set up semi-permanent Meet and Greet areas, but another benefit of human characters over robots is the ability to redeploy them easily to different areas of the parks. Disney sets up makeshift M&G spots all over the parks all the time to fill space, balance traffic, or make up for an attraction that’s gone down. Seems to me that this would be MUCH more difficult with AAs, even if they were cheaper and more easily maintained.

Heppenheimer

Question: Do you think that Disney will actually take this one to court? Once they do that it becomes public record.
And while it is a good thing to shine a light on bad people (alleged in this man's case for now) we also know how Disney does not like negative press.
Would they try to keep the trial confidential? (which I don't see happening)
Or will they compensate the face character CM to keep her from going to trial?
Or will they just make it a trial so the records can be public and it will show that Disney is not going to tolerate that horrible (alleged) behavior?

If they have proof that he did do this then I would take it to court and press charges.
Wouldn't it be out of Disney's control whether or not prosecution is pursued? It was a crime committed against an individual Disney employee, not against the Disney company more generally. I would think this would be under the complete judiciary discretion of the county or state.

Heppenheimer

Background checks are not instantaneous unless they get access to government databases that are probably off limits to them. Not sure how they could do it with people who walk up, buy a ticket and go right into the park.
Aren't most state sex offender registries open to the general public, though? But you are correct, this would be impractical to check every walk-up customer against every state sex offender list.

Timmay

Background checks are not instantaneous unless they get access to government databases that are probably off limits to them. Not sure how they could do it with people who walk up, buy a ticket and go right into the park.

Visitor Management Systems are quite easy to install and maintain..and many hospitals already use them. It’s not difficult.

Luigi

Somehow I knew this wasn't the 80's and this wasn't a movie - but thanks :)

DISCLAIMER: I never said it was something he intended as a joke. I simply pointed out that in the 80's it was. I qualified my statement with the word "sadly" to note I didn't agree with the 80's mentality.

I grew up in the 80s. It was never a joke.
Stop referencing a crappy movie like it was reality in the time.

WDW Pro

Sexual assault*

Not sure about Florida laws, but it's likely not even sexual assault. Is it incredibly inappropriate and worthy of some sort of misdemeanor charge? You bet. Should Disney do more to keep predators out of their properties? Absolutely. Did this perv need to have his nose busted at the moment it happened? Yep.

Hope the cast member who was treated inappropriately is doing well. Trying to bring joy to children and being treated in such a vulgar way by an old pervert is an unpleasant thing to experience.

Kamikaze

Not sure about Florida laws, but it's likely not even sexual assault. Is it incredibly inappropriate and worthy of some sort of misdemeanor charge? You bet. Should Disney do more to keep predators out of their properties? Absolutely. Did this perv need to have his nose busted at the moment it happened? Yep.

Hope the cast member who was treated inappropriately is doing well. Trying to bring joy to children and being treated in such a vulgar way by an old pervert is an unpleasant thing to experience.

Edit: You're right. Florida's sexual assault laws are horrendous - they actually only cover penetration.
https://apps.rainn.org/policy/policy-crime-definitions.cfm?state=Florida&group=3

The law broken here would be simple assault.

Last edited:

Tom P.

In their demented mind, people stuck in a cave figure a person not dressed modestly is somehow open game. I hope Disney backs their CM 100% to their fullest ability.
Even if true that is some people's perception, this cast member was not dressed "trashy" or even "immodestly." She was dressed as a cartoon character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom